Chinese Algae eater in a all snail tank?

heidi80

My sister decided she no longer wanted her algae eater or bladder snails. I happily took all the bladders and the algae eater. I looked up the 2 inch sucker fish and have found out she is a golden chinese algae eater! I guess her to be about 8 months old. I see that as they get older, they become more aggressive. Anyone with experience? I ONLY have snails! Mystery, White Wizard, Zebra Apple Snails, Greater Ramshorns, Ramshorns, Malasian trumpets, nerite and Bladder snails. I strictly keep snails because I love them and enjoy all of them! If this new fish will eventually kill my whole tank of snails, I would be devastated. I would love to hear any experienced aquarium keepers on this subject. They are currently in a 20 gallon long tank. I do have a 10 gallon but that has only ramshorns, bladders and 2 large Greater Ramshorns and I do not want to overstock. My husband says NO on another 30 or 40 gallon for the fish.:( If I do convince him on another tank I will only put this chinese algae eater in since they seem so aggressive.

StarGirl

They get super big too.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Don't know how it would act towards the snails, but they would all be mostly going for the same food source.

Upvote 0

heidi80

I know! I hope she tops out at 5 inches! She is really pretty. My sister told me she was at her largest. Needless to say I looked this up because I was not sure and found out she was a chinese algae eater. My tank is planted and has tons of hiding spots too. I am willing to supplement blood worms, krill ect when she is older. I am hoping that would maybe curb some of the aggressive behavior?

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

CAE are known to eat snails.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Chinese algae eaters can get up to 12 inches....sorry your sister is way wrong on that.

Upvote 0

GlennO

I don't know for certain but I doubt that it would bother the snails. However it will eventually need at least a 55 gal (preferably larger).

Upvote 0

heidi80

Do you know at what age or size they become aggressive? I need to beg my husband and wear him down for another tank. I refuse to let any of my pets suffer:(

Upvote 0

GlennO

Do you know at what age or size they become aggressive? I need to beg my husband and wear him down for another tank. I refuse to let any of my pets suffer:(

Aggression won't be an issue if it's not kept with other fish. If it's kept with other fish it's hard to say when it will become a problem but in general the smaller the tank the sooner that may occur. Also depends what the other fish are.

Upvote 0

heidi80

Okay thank you so much GlennO:) Oh my one fish in a 55 gallon! Well maybe I can have an amazing planted tank with just my Chinese Algae Eater.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Chiasmodon
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Stocking Help!
Replies
Views
Dennis57
  • Question
Replies