Chinese algae eater/Garlic juice

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by jt921020, Aug 13, 2015.

1. jt921020New MemberMember

Hello guys,

I made a pretty foolish decision today - I was looking for an amano shrimp at my LFS, they told me they didn't have shrimps but tricked me into getting a chinese algae eater as a bottom feeder. He's a little less than an inch long.

I looked online to care best for the little guy, and found out it was apparently one of the worst I could get for my 10 gallon...
    I have a dwarf gourami and 7 neon tetras in the tank, everyone is getting along fine, but I do not want a fish terrorizing the rest of the tank...

What should I do? Is it really not okay to add him? I have a 3 gallon heated tank and algae pellets/cucumbers on hand to keep him until I either return him or find him a better home otherwise if it can't work out.

On the other hand, I have a quick question concerning my betta: I bought Derlea's garlic jar to soak pellets, the ingredients are garlic, soybean oil, water, citric acid, potassium sorbate. Is it safe to do it?

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I'd return him and get your money back. They get large and aggressive, and stop eating algae as adults.

Your tank is already overstocked as it is, so I'd return him.

3. jt921020New MemberMember

Alright, advice taken. I will return him tomorrow.

4. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Sorry they tricked you! Shrimp or snails would do well in your 10 gal.

5. jt921020New MemberMember

Yeah, that's what I wanted to get at first. :(

6. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yep your tank is quite overstocked as all your fish need at least 20g. The CAE will grow to about 10" or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Are you sure it's a CAE? Can you get a pic?
    If it is a CAE, it's way too big for a 10g, the min for them is a 75g. They also are very aggressive and, imo, ugly, so it's not worth keeping them.

And yes, the fish you have in your ten need at least a 20g.....

8. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Haha I'm with you there. They are ugly imo and I don't really see the point in keeping one if they eat the slime coat off other fish...

So many people get them thinking just because "algae eater" is in the name that it eats algae. They are misinformed and have no idea what they're getting into.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. alirayFishlore VIPMember

Is that garlic juice for human consumption or made for fish? I have never heard of it. And if I didn't say it before , than welcome to the forum.;) Alison

10. CatahoolaValued MemberMember

Your dwarf gourami is going to need at least a 20 gallon tank, just fyi. Having that many fish in a 10 gallon is overstocked, plus dwarf gouramis won't be very happy in a smaller tank as they are pretty active fish, and I think neon tetras do best in at least a 15 gallon anyways.

11. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yep, neons need a 15g min. (24 inches long and 12 inches wide, anything like a column tank is too limited of space for them)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice