Chiller Installation Question.

esdwa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am considering purchase of small chiller for my 125gal tank to keep water at 80F which is a challenge with upcoming summer. Particularly I am reviewing JBJ Titanium series chiller to be installed.

Question is to those of you who have chiller already. It regards to it's optimal placement to best support heat dissipation it produces from its radiator/blower.

I imagine by placing chiller just next to tank in the room (say simply on the floor next to tank), would cause overall room temperature increase while cooling down tank water.

I am curious if anyone tried to install chiller just like they install window air conditioners, where heat radiating part is exposed to outside instead of blowing warm air into the room? But then with outside temperatures reaching 90F during summer season here where I live, would such hot outside air affect the chiller efficiency? And what about the sealing the opening where chiller is installed?

Any suggestions based on your experience with those chillers would be appreciated. Thank you.

esdwa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok,
after doing google based research I learned some positive facts related to my concerns about subject chiller.

So I decided to purchase it.

Because I need to lower temperature in my 125 gal tank only by 2-6 deg Fahrenheit, I selected smallest 1/15hp model.

The chiller arrived yesterday and has been installed in series with one of the two Fluval 406 filters I run in my setup.

I connected filter output to chiller input and chiller output was coupled with filter discharge pipe which was there all the time.

Chiller has built in thermostat so setting temperature is very easy. I am also very positively surprised how quiet this chiller is. In fact it's not louder that my 406 filter. It also produces very little air flow around unlike some other models I encountered. I suppose this is also due to a fact that it is relatively small horsepower model.

Anyway I have my chiller position in the fish tank stand next to the filter with a front door open and no air flow obstruction on the front, back of the unit with sufficient space on both sides as well.

Within the hour I noticed the fishtank temperature drop by half degree which is what I was expected. I will wait further to see how temperature stabilizes and remains throughout the day night going forward. And will report.

Below picture of subject chiller installed. Here are unit dimensions (no fitting included in height): 13 x 7.5 x 12in (HxWxD). With pipe fitting the total height is 14in. As you can see, it's shorter that my 406 filter. It's even below height of 306 filter model, see second picture.

_20180512_092847.JPG

_20180512_100136.JPG

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats on the new purchase. I'm interested to hear your results, not many 'keep' chillers so this is certainly a hot - sorry - topic!

The one thing i would suggest is cutting the output hose of the chiller, clear tubing for me is known to slack and reduce water flow, cutting circulation!

esdwa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aussieJJDude said:
Congrats on the new purchase. I'm interested to hear your results, not many 'keep' chillers so this is certainly a hot - sorry - topic!

The one thing i would suggest is cutting the output hose of the chiller, clear tubing for me is known to slack and reduce water flow, cutting circulation!
Thanks, can't do. The chiller has 1/2in fittings and clear tube matches it perfectly preventing from leaks.

One thing I plan to do however is to shorten the output line once setup is validated in next few days.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
esdwa said:
Thanks, can't do. The chiller has 1/2in fittings and clear tube matches it perfectly preventing from leaks.

One thing I plan to do however is to shorten the output line once setup is validated in next few days.
Woops, meant shortening.... but good idea I guess LOL

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom