Chili Rasboras Dying Quickly

Incognegro3

I’ve had this 7.5G tank cycling for about a month since I lost all of my fish to columnaris. I’ve had 5 dwarf shrimp and an amano in it for a couple of weeks and this AM I added 7 chili rasboras from my lfs. I drip acclimated them for 5+ hours last night and added them this AM and I’ve already lost one. They’re clearly stressed, glass surfing all day. I thought they might just need time to settle in but then 1 started staying near the top and gasping for air until he eventually got weak and died, and now two more are hanging around the surface as well. Two of the other four are intensely glass surfing and the other two are hiding / MIA - not looking great. I tested the water yesterday before I put them in (PH - 7, Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 5ppm). I’m filtering with an Oase Filtosmart 65 and a spin glass lily pipe. Could it be that they aren’t getting oxygen for some reason? They don’t look sick so I really want to save them if I can. Any advice appreciated :(
Video of tank

Dunk2

I’ve had this 7.5G tank cycling for about a month since I lost all of my fish to columnaris. I’ve had 5 dwarf shrimp and an amano in it for a couple of weeks and this AM I added 7 chili rasboras from my lfs. I drip acclimated them for 5+ hours last night and added them this AM and I’ve already lost one. They’re clearly stressed, glass surfing all day. I thought they might just need time to settle in but then 1 started staying near the top and gasping for air until he eventually got weak and died, and now two more are hanging around the surface as well. Two of the other four are intensely glass surfing and the other two are hiding / MIA - not looking great. I tested the water yesterday before I put them in (PH - 7, Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 5ppm). I’m filtering with an Oase Filtosmart 65 and a spin glass lily pipe. Could it be that they aren’t getting oxygen for some reason? They don’t look sick so I really want to save them if I can. Any advice appreciated :(
Video of tank
Great looking tank!

From your video, there looks to be very little water moving in your tank?

I’m not familiar with your filter, but have you tried an air stone? Your water parameters sound good. . . Are you doing consistent water changes?

Incognegro3

Great looking tank!

From your video, there looks to be very little water moving in your tank?

I’m not familiar with your filter, but have you tried an air stone? Your water parameters sound good. . . Are you doing consistent water changes?
I’m using a spin lily pipe to reduce flow because i read that Chilis like low flow, the filter is probably turning over the tank 3x per hour but the movement is diffused by the spin pipe which maybe is under-oxygenating the water? Idk if spin lily pipes cause this issue, but i can add an air stone to see if it helps

Dunk2

I’m using a spin lily pipe to reduce flow because i read that Chilis like low flow, the filter is probably turning over the tank 3x per hour but the movement is diffused by the spin pipe which maybe is under-oxygenating the water? Idk if spin lily pipes cause this issue, but i can add an air stone to see if it helps
Sorry, but I’m not familiar with the spin pipe you’re using.

Could you try eliminating it for a few days to see if it makes a difference?

Is your water really as stagnant as it looks in the video? And what about consistent water changes?

Incognegro3

Sorry, but I’m not familiar with the spin pipe you’re using.

Could you try eliminating it for a few days to see if it makes a difference?

Is your water really as stagnant as it looks in the video? And what about consistent water changes?

One of my dwarfs was kind enough to demonstrate the flow. You can also see in the other video I’m using a water pump to push water from behind the rock formation over the top of the rock. I can’t take off the spin filter without stopping my filter, but I can add an air stone to add more movement, but I thought flow stresses out chilis? Might be worth a try given the current state of affairs. I change 20ish% of the water per week and try to gravel vac, but because the tank is so small I can never thoroughly vac before the water gets super low.

One of my dwarfs was kind enough to demonstrate the flow. You can also see in the other video I’m using a water pump to push water from behind the rock formation over the top of the rock. I can’t take off the spin filter without stopping my filter, but I can add an air stone to add more movement, but I thought flow stresses out chilis? Might be worth a try given the current state of affairs. I change 20ish% of the water per week and try to gravel vac, but because the tank is so small I can never thoroughly vac before the water gets super low.
I just took another peep at them and I think they might have parasites - does this one look malnourished or internal parasites? I may try to feed them metroplex to see if that helps them out

Attachments

• 40FA09E7-1592-424D-A9BD-E569DC805200.jpeg
    40FA09E7-1592-424D-A9BD-E569DC805200.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 23

Dunk2

I just took another peep at them and I think they might have parasites - does this one look malnourished or internal parasites? I may try to feed them metroplex to see if that helps them out

I’ve never kept Chili Rasbora, but I think you’re right about the flow. . . They’re not built to take a strong flow or current.

I’d give the air stone a try. And keep an eye on your fish to see how they do with it.

Incognegro3

I’ve never kept Chili Rasbora, but I think you’re right about the flow. . . They’re not built to take a strong flow or current.

I’d give the air stone a try. And keep an eye on your fish to see how they do with it.
Thank you for the advice. Despite the airstone it looks like only 3 of the remaining 6 survived the night. Hopefully somebody with chili experience will see this and help me save the rest :/

Dunk2

StarGirl ?

StarGirl

I have my Chilis in my 5g with a sponge filter. In essence a air stone. They dont mind it at all. I have still only gotten ahold of 2 (nowhere has any) and still have both so I really cant comment on why they are dying. Mine didnt have any strange behaviors that I have seen. Sorry Im really no help.

Incognegro3

The last one I saw was broken out in ich so I think I just got a bad batch. Time to find a better local fish store

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aquaticguy
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Small fish dying
Replies
Views
JJ3204
Replies
Views
TropicalFlow