Chili rasboras dying due to white/pale patch

fieldsofhayley

The first chili had a patch like this about 2 months ago and I thought it was just a tumor. It was on its tail and the fish passed on. The tail ended up looking like it was being essentially cut off from the rest of the body as the white growth grew. I now have had 4 fish with this die. The spots keeps growing. As you can see the chili has good color otherwise, is eating well. I only notice a few jerky movements. (The chili in the below photos has passed on, but another one has a similar spot)

You must be registered to see images

For a couple months all the chilis have had this pale sheen to them, some more than others. It looks like dots in the photo but it really just looks like something catching the light. Like a pale dust (hence me thinking velvet, but are so small and these specks are smaller)

I tried melafix and pimafix combo, then thought it was something else (columnaris or some bacterium) so I tried erythromycin. I stopped all meds for a few days to give them all a break. I did Ich-x. Stopped again for a week for a break. Now I’m just getting done with a paracleanse treatment. I feel like I’ve exhausted all options.

What’s upsetting is all fish have great color and are eating well and have no actual behavioral issues. Then suddenly I notice the white spot. They behave fine, then one day they just are BAD. I recently got them some bug bites and they love those in rotation with their other food (omega one super color flakes, frozen daphnia, hikari micro pellets, some blood worms if I manage to make them small enough)

My questions:
1. What is this white growth?
2. What is the white sheen?
3. Should I stop all treatment and just continue with frequent small water changes and a varied diet? I think at this point that’s all I can do. It feels like they will just keep dwindling down until the healthiest are left.

Frank the Fish guy

May I suggest that it may be the common 'fish wart' Lymphocystis. FA181/FA181: Lymphocystis Disease in Fish

To be sure, you take an infected fish to the vet and ask them to diagnose. I had something similar looking on rainbows and that was the diagnosis.

If so, and since it does not respond to your medicine (fish warts have no cure), you have to remove the affected fish to a separate tank. Do a complete water change of the original tank. See if the warts pass on the fish, or else they may all die. Try to keep the warts from just infecting the whole tank.

Sometimes the warts only affect one species. Mine was that way. All of my rainbows died, but other fish all survived and the tank has been clear.

fieldsofhayley

May I suggest that it may be the common 'fish wart' Lymphocystis. FA181/FA181: Lymphocystis Disease in Fish

To be sure, you take an infected fish to the vet and ask them to diagnose. I had something similar looking on rainbows and that was the diagnosis.

If so, and since it does not respond to your medicine (fish warts have no cure), you have to remove the affected fish to a separate tank. Do a complete water change of the original tank. See if the warts pass on the fish, or else they may all die. Try to keep the warts from just infecting the whole tank.

Sometimes the warts only affect one species. Mine was that way. All of my rainbows died, but other fish all survived and the tank has been clear.
Thank you! I doubt I’ll be able to take them to a vet who will look at them (I live in a very rural area). But I think water changes and monitoring is all I really have left for options. I’m also thinking it must be a virus since it’s not responding to ANY treatment. ):

Frank the Fish guy

I noticed how in your first photo, the white regions built up and formed a cauliflower mass that extends away from the body of the fish. That makes me think it is fish warts.

The fish don't actually die from the virus. The regions are wounds though and they die of the secondary effects. The fish sort of get deformed, and then pieces start dropping off.

Usually affects a single species in my experience and others too. You may lose all of your Rasbora school. It may have already infected them all.

Best to start a new school from a different source. The fish source can be wholly infected.

fieldsofhayley

I noticed how in your first photo, the white regions built up and formed a cauliflower mass that extends away from the body of the fish. That makes me think it is fish warts.

The fish don't actually die from the virus. The regions are wounds though and they die of the secondary effects. The fish sort of get deformed, and then pieces start dropping off.

Usually affects a single species in my experience and others too. You may lose all of your Rasbora school. It may have already infected them all.

Best to start a new school from a different source. The fish source can be wholly infected.
You are correct, they likely are all already infected as I saw the first signs 3 months ago and keep seeing signs despite separating the sick fish. I will hope for the best and keep up with keeping their tank clean and keeping them in good health otherwise.

It definitely must be the secondary infection or something that’s killing them. This white thing only appears to be slightly bothersome to them once in a while. Otherwise they act fine until they start to be deformed and the white starts to get VERY big. Perhaps it’s a consequence of them being very very small fish. I’m not sure. But it definitely seems like something that’s PART of the fish. It always starts that way, like pale scales. Then it just keeps growing. The bumps are smooth though. They don’t have any nodule-like or lumpy appearance. I think the images look that due to the residual scale color.

If they make it, they do, and if they don’t, they don’t. Either way they will be alone in their tank as they already are now and I have no intentions of adding more fish. If they do die I’ll disinfect and clean the whole aquarium.

It’s disappointing as I have tried all methods except salt and nothing seems to be working. I could try an alternative antibiotic or try salt. I don’t think I’ll be doing that unless I need to make a last ditch effort to save at least some of the school.

I appreciate you taking time out of your day to respond!

DoubleDutch

Uhhh sorry to say but to me this is a clear sign of Columnaris bacteria (saddlebackdisease) and doesn't look in anyway like Lymphocystis.

fieldsofhayley

Uhhh sorry to say but to me this is a clear sign of Columnaris bacteria (saddlebackdisease) and doesn't look in anyway like Lymphocystis.
What do you suggest I do? I really don’t think there’s anything else to do besides get kanoplex and furan 2. However I’ve definitely put the fish through enough treatment over the last month and a half. I’m thinking I just need to keep their water clean and let it play out.

DoubleDutch

What do you suggest I do? I really don’t think there’s anything else to do besides get kanoplex and furan 2. However I’ve definitely put the fish through enough treatment over the last month and a half. I’m thinking I just need to keep their water clean and let it play out.
I'd try that indeed. Clean water and as less stress as possible.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
fieldsofhayley
Replies
Views
Aquaticguy
Replies
Views
Jo7984
Replies
Views