Chili Rasboras and CPDs stocking suggestion

Convoluted77

Active Member
Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
59
Location
Michigan
Hiya folks.I'm getting ready to stock my 29 gallon tank soon.I have decided on chilI rasboras and celestial pearl danios.What is a good number of each to start with? It's a medium planted tank atm but will be heavy planted by the time I'm done.The only other critters I'll be adding is some neo shrimps and 5-6 ottos once I get some more algae and biofilm going.As for feeding the chilis and cpds I can hatch brine shrimp and I have aquarium co-op small fish and fry food.Any other/better options I should look in to? Thanks a bunch
 

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,105
Reaction score
4,690
Location
Wales, Uk
Experience
1 year
Convoluted77 said:
Hiya folks.I'm getting ready to stock my 29 gallon tank soon.I have decided on chilI rasboras and celestial pearl danios.What is a good number of each to start with? It's a medium planted tank atm but will be heavy planted by the time I'm done.The only other critters I'll be adding is some neo shrimps and 5-6 ottos once I get some more algae and biofilm going.As for feeding the chilis and cpds I can hatch brine shrimp and I have aquarium co-op small fish and fry food.Any other/better options I should look in to? Thanks a bunch
10 each sounds like a good starting point :)
Make sure with the CPDs you get less males than females, males will fight each other and harass the females. They're quite feisty for little fish ;)
I love the sound of this, I hope you post pictures when you set it up :D
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
C

Convoluted77

Active Member
Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
59
Location
Michigan
jinjerJOSH22 said:
10 each sounds like a good starting point :)
Make sure with the CPDs you get less males than females, males will fight each other and harass the females. They're quite feisty for little fish ;)
I love the sound of this, I hope you post pictures when you set it up :D
Thanks.10 of each to start sounds good.Ive heared the cpds can be fiesty or could be completely chill lol.Less males seems like a good plan tho.Chilis seem really neat too since they don't seem to be shy and nobody has bothered to tell them that they are the size of a cherry shrimp.hehe.The other nano fish I wanted were dwarf emerald rasboras but I was afraid they would be to shy for me to really enjoy them.
 

sfsamm

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
1,282
I would agreed to 10 each and less males than females on CPDs as well I keep and breed them love them..... I've also had on two occasions males that had to be segregated because they were terrible at tormenting others when they didn't have enough ladies to swoon over. I with those two guys they live now in my retirement tank and don't bother with one another or the others that have been culled or retired for various reasons much but when there's ladies involved they were rotten even at a 8/1 ratio.... Considering on breaks between spawns my ratios are closer to a 6/4 or 7/3 (sometimes even more males than females when I run multiple spawn groups) in my breeder living tank I ultimately removed them.

That said though in general I have had relatively few issues and if you run 50/50 odds are still in your favor not to have a jerk fish. They aren't cichlids lol but they can be overly zealous with the ladies on occasion.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
C

Convoluted77

Active Member
Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
59
Location
Michigan
sfsamm said:
I would agreed to 10 each and less males than females on CPDs as well I keep and breed them love them..... I've also had on two occasions males that had to be segregated because they were terrible at tormenting others when they didn't have enough ladies to swoon over. I with those two guys they live now in my retirement tank and don't bother with one another or the others that have been culled or retired for various reasons much but when there's ladies involved they were rotten even at a 8/1 ratio.... Considering on breaks between spawns my ratios are closer to a 6/4 or 7/3 (sometimes even more males than females when I run multiple spawn groups) in my breeder living tank I ultimately removed them.

That said though in general I have had relatively few issues and if you run 50/50 odds are still in your favor not to have a jerk fish. They aren't cichlids lol but they can be overly zealous with the ladies on occasion.
Thanks.ill keep an eye on them and have a backup plan just in case.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
C

Convoluted77

Active Member
Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
59
Location
Michigan
I got my cpds today.They are so cute and tiny.I think I should have picked up like 40 of them.They are smaller than a cherry shrimp haha
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
253
Guests online
3,378
Total visitors
3,631

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom