Chili Rasbora pale color

Aquaticguy

Hi. I bought 5 Chili Rasboras for my nano tank, and in the future ill buy maybe a little bit more. So my problem is that after I add the Chili Rasboras to the tank, there color were very pale, almost white. And even after 2 days their color is still pale. I know that fish lose color when introduce to new tank but even after 2 days they are very pale. Will they get there color back after more days? Or is it something else. btw Nitrite 0ppm, nitrates 0-10 ppm. I already had filter media that was in a cycled tank and I added some gravel from cycled tank so I think it should be cycled by now. Plus Chili Rasboras have a very low bio load. Can anyone tell what's wrong with my Chili Rasboras?

MacZ

What size is the tank and how bright are the lights? Chili rasboras like rather dark and shaded tanks. Usually fish get lighter or darker to fit the conditions.

Aquaticguy

What size is the tank and how bright are the lights? Chili rasboras like rather dark and shaded tanks. Usually fish get lighter or darker to fit the conditions.
My tank size is 3 gallons planted. I will add Cabomba plants and floating plants to maybe make the light a lil dimmer. I also made the light higher up so it does not light the tank too much. I REALLY want them to become ruby red and everything else is fine about them. They school, swim adorably through the plants. The filter? I use a HOB filter that is in low flow so they can swim easily. Also do you think I may add a few more, since its planted, has a lot of hiding spots, and Chili Rasboras are so small.

MacZ

Get a bigger tank. 10 gallons at least. Sorry, I have to break it to you.
That tank size is probably ok for shrimp and snails, I would not even keep a betta in it.

The rasbora may seem very small, but they require a bit more swimming space. Also a tank that size is prone to fluctuations of all kinds and doing stuff to a tank that size brings a lot of commotion and thus stress for the fish. I just did my 10 liter cube (plants only, maybe some snails, about same volume of your's.) and I can tell you I would not want to have fish in it. They are like sitting ducks in such a small tank.
Just a small waterchange would be for fish comparable to someone tearing down the wall of your bedroom, while you are in there.

So... get a bigger tank and whatever you do, do not add any more fish to this one.

Aquaticguy

I rn don't have a bigger tank in my hand and I wasn't really on planning on getting a bigger one. So you say that Chili Rasboras can't live in a 3 gallon? Idk what to do. Im kinda stressed and some people say you can and some people say at least 5 gallons. However I do know that if the tank is bigger its better but since I can't bring the fish back to the store idk what to do. some people had been successful keeping Chili Rasboras in a 3 gallon but some say no.

MacZ

You have simply stepped into one of the traps many beginners step in, so don't stress out over it. It happens it's not the end of the world. Get a bigger tank as soon as you can afford it, some equipment and decorations you have already, so you basically only have to get the tank itself, which is affordable and a 10 gallon doesn't need that much more space. I didn't say you have to get a bigger tank immediately, but soon-ish. Maybe within the next 3-4 weeks. Until then keep up with waterchanges and feed sparsely.

And for the future: You say you know, the bigger the tank the better. Stick with that, because it's correct. People that tell you it is possible to keep fish in a tank that size either have no idea what's species appropriate or don't care for the animal's wellbeing and/or just want to secure a sale.

Aquaticguy

Tnx man. I did a ton of research and they mostly say I should keep in a 5 gallon or minimum 3 gallons. In the future, maybe after about 1-2 months I am gonna add them to my 15 gallons guppy tank with Corydoras. But for now they are fine, and I think they won't die obviously. I might add some shrimp to my 3 gallon tank and when my 15 gallon tank has some space than I might add the Chilis there. For now I might buy 3 more Chilis and maybe like a few cherry shrimp so the Chilis will be happier with more of them. I know that I need a big tank. I know that they are mostly active and needs at least 5 gallons or 10. But after 1-3 months I will add them to my 15 gallon tank.
AG

MacZ

Read again what I wrote. I wrote 3-4 weeks, you write 1-3 months. And please don't add shrimps in the meantime. They add just more bioload.

Just...

Good luck then.

Aquaticguy

I said 1-3 months bc I might not add it by 3-4 weeks. But I will at some point so no worries.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
fieldsofhayley
Replies
Views
Daisy007
Replies
Views