Child proof locks for fish tank hood...

LunaSky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My kids are terrible with the fish tank! My daughter already killed two fish. My 72 gallon tank is in the basement and so are my daughters' room. If I were to send them down to get dressed, I have to go with them, which is kind of a problem since I am trying to teach them to be a little more independent.

My oldest is five and I have twins who are four. They continuously get into my tank. I have already had two fatalities and my kids have uprooted plants and pulled a plant out and killed it. The splash the water out of the tank and shaking the tank water, it is getting ridiculous.

So now I am looking for a way to keep the kids out of the tank. My hood is a homemade glass top that can come off easily and all four panes of glass slide. Anyone know of a tool or something I can do homemade or store bought that I get use to keep the kids out of the tank?

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ugh. I've had this problem with other people's kids--and they don't come in my house anymore! How about a child proof refrigerator lock?

LunaSky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I thought of that too, but my kids know how to break through them, and with my tank lids being able to lift of, it doesn't work.

Jomolager

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They sound like very bright young ladies. As a person who raised four girls I appreciate your understanding for their need to learn independence at an early age, but are you against teaching them the concept and consequences of a simple "NO. Do not touch." I am concerned that those glass panels may inadvertently hurt them.

LunaSky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They have not listened to that so far. I have tried talking to them and when that did not work I tried time outs, sent to rooms, stand in the corner, tap on the hand, and then eventually screaming. This is the only object that they have not listened to me on not touching (well that and the TV). I even tried letting the kids get the urge out by letting the kids take turns on feeding them, and they still seemed attracted to it. I am at my wits end and I am feeling like I am out of options.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
my mum had a simple rule, if we touched something we werent supposed to we get flogged with the wooden spoon, It worked we learned quick. Personally Im a firm believer in flogging kids when they misbehave.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmm, sounds like there's no way to keep them out of the tanks then. It's very hard with small kids if there are no immediate consequences, which can only happen when adults working in shifts stand watch over them the entire time. Just not humanly possible for those of us without an army of nannies. What makes it harder is that there tanks are in their part of the house where they are most at ease and in control.

My daughter has selective mutism and was literally unable to move at times when she was small. That was actually why I could have tanks everywhere without her touching them. She had a Betta and a 29-gallon community tank in her room when she was 4, plus tanks in the living, dining, and family rooms. Her toys and the tv are in the last one, and I could trust her in there all by herself while I made dinner. She only began reaching into one when I made her do it at age 11 specifically to teach her how to take care of her Betta. But this isn't about self-control on her part--it's horrible fear and bouts of sheer panic.

There have been many times when I have wished that my child could leave my side and run and play with other kids. She wants to, and after years of therapy, she is at last learning how to talk to people and play with a few kids.

So it's good that yours have the self-confidence to be able to move around and explore their environment without overwhelming anxiety. They're less likely to be easy targets for bullies, they can interact more readily, and they'll have friends rather than having to depend on the small percentage of people who can draw them out of their shell.

But in the meantime, you will have to wait for them to learn self-control, and it can take years, depending on their individual biochemistry, and some people simply never are able to stop themselves. In the meantime, the best you can do to protect your fish is to keep them out of reach, and this means in a room where there will be adults, has none of their things in it, and is simply not their space.

Witchydesign

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you put something heavy over the top? Take away electronics (small padlock through the plug *genius*) a new cover completely?

LunaSky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I woke this morning and they had totally destroyed the tank this time. I am packing the fish up this afternoon and surrendering them to my LFS. I spent hundreds of dollars on this tank and now I feel it was all for nothing. I am more worried about the fish and I can no longer risk their health or death because my kids wont listen to me. I feel like I am punishing myself for an attempt for a hobby, but what else can I do?

This morning, ALL of my plants were ripped apart and one of my loaches had been squished from the kids moving the drift wood around. It is very unfortunate. I am very upset. I woke up at 6:00, usually the kids are not up till 7:00 but this time they must have woke up around 4:00 or so in order to do that amount of damage.

My heart is breaking, and with no fish that means I am most likely leaving fish lore. Thank you guys for your help when I needed it.

sheilashoelady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is there anywhere in the house you could put the tank that they can't get into it as easily? It sounds like you would hate to get rid of it.

fishnewbie33

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So sorry about your tank!

I think you are doing the hardest but most responsible thing you can do at this time (rehoming).
If you can't be reasonably sure they will be safe, its probably the best way to go.

Hopefully, this is only temporary and you'll be able to have fish in the future. I guess (?) kids at that age don't realize the results of their actions???

I hope you stay on the forum. I'm sure you have a lot of knowledge to help out others.

badrad

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry to hear.
I might suggest if the room is lockable, then you could try again, and make that your private room - at least until the kids are old enough and discipline enough not to search and destroy everything they touch.

The reason for making sure your kids do not have access to the room unattended is safety reasons as well. Flooding from cracked tank if they decide to crawl or climb onto it, falling into the tank and possible drowning, exposed electrical components that could electrocute, chemicals for maintenance that they could ingest, etc. There are some things that need to be childproofed. Maybe as simple as putting a lock on the door so that at least they will not get in without you.

Anyways, hope you can continue on.

Cheers

LunaSky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The "room" is a living room with multiple entries and the only entry to the bathroom, so unfortunately, the room cannot be locked. We live in a really old house so the tank which weighs somewhere over 800 lbs has to stay down stairs, otherwise I would like it in my bedroom, which is upstairs on old flooring and it can be locked.

I will give it a couple more days. The best day for me to remove the fish is on Sunday anyway so I will give it to then and see if the kids have learn their lesson. They are still on time out with the dead loach and ripped plants in front of them. Hopefully this shows them why they should not touch. *Fingers Crossed*. I really do enjoy my fish tanks, and keeping them is something I really want to do.

Rivieraneo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You are a very patient parent. If that was me as a kid, I don't recall ever having a time out, only lashings with a belt. ::shutter::

BRP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Woow LunaSky I'm sorry to hear what happened.
Before I read the latest posts in this subject I went online to have a look at vivarium locks.
If you Google "Reptile Vivarium Sliding Glass" you see what I mean. I guess this idea, if it would work at all, comes too late now.

Nicole

An edit to avoid a back to back post. Would it worked combined with this http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v4/912886394_1/20pcs-lot-Baby-Security-Multifunctional-Safety-Lock-Right-Angle-Corner-Baby-Cabinet-font-b-Door-b.jpg on the sides of the tank (and a part on the glass top)

If you have a picture from the tank I'm more than willing to find a solution. Without knowing how the tank looks it's a bit hard to find exactly what could work.

Last edited:

Alex99

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I might not be the best person to be responding to this because I do not have any children yet but my wife is 6 months pregnant so my little one will be here soon enough. Eventhough a new born is not a treat to any aquarium I have started safeguarding my tanks as an "investment for the future" by removing them from their lower standing and more esthetically pleasing wooden stands and placed them on metallic stands that put the level of the tank much higher than it was at before. One of my tanks is a 75 gallon and I picked up a stand for it on kijiji for 40$(retail cost is about 80$). The tank top is now about 4-4.5 feet off the ground so if you tried something similar yor girls would have to put a chair next to the tank or move something to climb onto so their access would be a little more limited and this way you would at least have a chance to hear them comming! I realize that my idea would involve a fair bit of commotion in the tank during the move but things might be more peacefull for the fish after that.

jillofalltrades37

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I know what your going through... although i only have a 10 g where the grand babies can get to, I found a noodle in it, from my 2 year old grandson... how about telling them you have a piranha in there... or one of those door alarms that go off when a door opens.

LunaSky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I actually have threatened them that my pictus would eat them and that is why I do not have small fish but it never worked.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lunasky im sorry to here that you feel you need to get rid of you fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom