Child Proof Fish | Page 4

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by fastraver, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Crazycoryfishlady

CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,223
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I'm known for my essays.
    I had a tough life, when I wasn't taught to things right, I made mistakes that ended in deaths.
    When I was finally given my own frog and told how to care for it, it lived a long happy life.
    I agree, it is wrong to deprive anyone of socialization be it with animal or human.
    If you can manage it, do it.
    If you refuse to teach a child, they will grow up not understanding how to live, and they'll constantly make horrible mistakes.
    If you sit down with them and walk them throigh things, if you really help them learn, they will, and who knows.
    Maybe one day the son will be a world known fish keeper.

2. Luvlyrita

LuvlyritaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +14
    I agree, it may take time and diligence but mentally disabled children, and all children will eventually understand basic care and compassion for another living thing. Children pick up on routines pretty quickly if they are consistent. I work with special needs children and they understand way more than people realize. You may hit a few bumps in the road. I would go with the bigger tank as it will be easier to maintain.

3. Francine

FrancineWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +320
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I swear some people just come on here to talk....
    Whoever it was that said a child under 5 shouldn’t have a frog is the most absurd thing I have EVER heard... these are not wild frog... they are aquatic pet frogs that yes are susceptible to disease just as fish are.... but I have never heard of an ACF or ACDF giving someone salmonella and they clearly did not even take the time to read what the post was about... seeing as (I’m assuming) they took us talking about a 5g tank as the child is 5??? That’s the only correlation between the number 5 I can see.... and it provided absolutely no help to the OP....

To the OP... if you want to try the hexbug and then maybe you can work your way up to a tank... there are many ways you can secure a lid that people are not aware of or think of... such as super gluing the DIY mesh tops to the top of the tank... then you cut a hole big enough to feed, fit a small siphon and your hand to wipe the glass, attach a handle to the mesh top... attach a ring to the front of the tank... put some type of lock from the handle to the ring... there fish tank with locked lid.... this would work for any size tank but especially well for the smaller sizes you were looking into

But that can always be a down the road project once he learns more

And don’t go with mollies... in those small tanks even keeping 1 or 2 I find cruel... they like to swim.. they won’t have room at 2-1 1/2” s to do that in those small tanks....

Bottom line you know your son best and what will work and what won’t... I’m just glad that you are taking the time to find something to do together... it’s so important... a child’s same sex parent is their biggest role model so it’s great you will research and do what it takes to be able to have this activity with your son.... you sound like a great dad and like your doing a great job!
    So no matter what you decide in the end... good for you...

4. KKM

KKMValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +30
    Experience:
    2 years
    That’s considered the bare minimum for one and they do better with company. It’s like one goldfish in a 20g: bare minimum but far from ideal, and most keepers advise against it.

5. wodesorel

wodesorelWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +681
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The CDC has been putting out warnings for years warning about small aquarium frogs and salmonella in young children. Large outbreaks have been traced direcrtly back to captive African Dwarf Frogs, and the damage that salmonella can do to little kids is major. The problem is that they stick their hands in the water and then put them straight in their mouths without washing in between. They're kids! They just don't realize the risk. It's the same warnings that are given about tiny water turtles, and for the same reason.

6. Francine

Ratings:
    +320
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That’s odd... I’m a keeper and have been for years and mine have always lived comfortably in a 10g.... 15 years I would say is a good lifespan and he couldn’t have been that cramped or I’m sure he would have died long before and now my new one is in a 10g and she is quite fine also.... no cramped at the least.... I have ready several articles (because there are ALOT on ACF’s because of all the scientific research the use them for) and I have never read that they need or even notice company.... it actually warns to make sure you never have a smaller frog in with a larger one as the larger one might eat it but nothing about company... and know many others and in the frog trade that all keep theirs in 10g’s.... I don’t like to argue but also I don’t like when people reading this stuff get false information...

If you are talking about African DWARF frogs... yes, they do prefer company but in all my research (and I spend at least 2-3 weeks or even a month before I purchase any fish or animal) I have never read they need to be kept in bigger tanks than 10g’s and that they shouldn’t be kept alone....- I’ve attached some pictures from some reputable sites for you they are about tank size as well as company....
    Now as for the salmonella maybe it’s skmething else where you live but ACF’s and ACDF’s have no greater chance to give you salmonella because of the actual frog itself... if you read picture 4 attached you will see WHY they can cause salmonella and basically it’s if you don’t do your do diligence and keep their tank clean and free from old food and they have no greater chance of giving it to you then any other aquarium where live foods and water and kept in non suitable conditions..... again see picture 4... it’s an extremely reputable gentleman and his knowledge of fish and all aquatic life is vast....

Attached Files:

7. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,270
    Experience:
    Just started
    Salmonella, child-proofing, ACFs, Switzerland, etc., etc.,. In short, all I got from this is that goldfish can live alone, and wild discus are child-proof.

8. Bryangar

BryangarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,506
    Experience:
    2 years
    Sometimes people on fishlore fight about everything even when its not important :facepalm:

9. Francine

Ratings:
    +320
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Where did you get that goldfish can live alone?? I would love to see scientific proof of this... not someone on a forum saying it’s ok... because my knowledge comes from science and also these pages are important... when people do research and type in thing they are trying to find answers to, these forums often pop up... so it’s important that the information is accurate IMO....

10. Rich johns

Rich johnsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +16
    3 female platies and some decor. You'll be good to go

11. BettaNovice101

BettaNovice101Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +53
    Experience:
    1 year
    Yeah, but it's a great one!

12. H2O Concierge

H2O ConciergeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    One of my grandsons is severely autistic and I would have loved to set up a tank for them, but his dad & I were pretty sure it would end in disaster. I do not know of your son's range of ability, so none of these suggestions may apply. My plan was to go something like this... 1). Start with a plexiglass tank to minimize glass breakage. 2). Have him choose a special container just for "his special food". Perhaps a decorated daily/weekly pill container might do. I even thought about those programmable automated medication dispensers. 3). Setup a feeding schedule using an audible timer alert. He was only to feed when the alert sounded or like flashed. Maybe tie the feeding time to his own breakfast/dinner. 4). Determine what shape or color fish he is most interested in and purchase some "fake" fish and use them as a teaching tool. They have multiple options and sizes out there. I don't have any specific suggestions on securing the top, but it sounds like you have some experience with that. Good luck trying to keep boys out of anything. I hope that this helps in some small way. I applaud your efforts and wish for you the best of outcomes.

13. InsanityShard

InsanityShardWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +219
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I'm Autistic too, and my first fish was a betta. I poured the entire tub of food into his tank and used to try to pet the goldfish... I also nearly drowned in a giant goldfish pond. Goldfish were the hardiest, I once poured a little bubble mix into their barrel. Mum and Ian did an immediate emergancy full water change. They lived. ._. I was very bad with fish until near my teens, but I was always good with the cats at least.

14. H2O Concierge

H2O ConciergeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Water is so attractive to those with autism, my grandson was once rescued from a lake. I've been stumbling around for 40+ years finding out how little I knew the day before. Even the best of us make mistakes and have to learn by trial and error when we start. Enjoy your cats. I enjoy mine.

15. allllien

allllienWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +388
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well, the hardiest fish I can think of is the pest fish 'Gambusia' aka mosquito fish. You'll find them in polluted creeks/streams/ponds/rivers etc. in most places around the world. Almost impossible to kill with bad water conditions, we used to catch them as kids and sometimes kept a few in a bucket or fish bowl etc. Not the prettiest fish, basically like a colorless, short finned guppy, but still interesting enough for kids who like little fish They would also work well in a small tank (need good filtration as they can be quite messy despite their size).
    Then later on you could upgrade to something nicer when he gets older, like platys, swordtails, mollies etc. (2 -4 would work fine in a 6.5 -10G, as long as they're the types that don't grow bigger than 2.5", there's quite a bit of size variation with those species).

16. allllien

allllienWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +388
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Turtles, frogs and salmonella: Yes, it is true, they can give you salmonella, and here's why: people often feed them meat, meat goes bad, therefor water gets contaminated, it's a simple fact. However, if you feed them a pellet type food or insects etc, it's very unlikely.
    It's the same if you go fishing/wash your hands in the water where someone has thrown their old (meat) bait in the water, if you don't thoroughly wash your hands you're at risk.

17. Aquaman9101

Aquaman9101Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +34
    I've always had luck with dwarf gourami. If that isn't what he likes, maybe try a dwarf puffer? They don't need friends, are small, and, in my experience, very social with its "master". One should be able to be kept in a 9g. You're child should be able to care for him with ease if guided, so, as a bonus, it can be a bonding thing.