Child Proof Fish | Page 2

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by fastraver, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Francine

FrancineWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +320
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you go with the 9g you would be alright with a male African clawed frog (but make sure to get male as the minimum tank size is 10g’s but males are quite a bit smaller than females...if you went with that one you would only need 1 frog...

If you go with the 5g get 2 dwarf frogs...

Please make sure you don’t mix them up as the big one would not do good in a 5g once he started to grow...

These frogs are much much different then a toad lol
    These are fully aquatic frogs...(they live in a full tank of water, they don’t need perches or rocks as they can not leave the water or they will die...they just need a tiny space at the top to go up for air... they occasionally take a breathe of air because they have lungs but can also breathe through their skin.... so it would look like a normal fish tank but have a frog or frogs depending on what you choose... I will take a picture of mine in the morning and attach them so you can see... my big one is an albino and was about the size of a quarter (not counting her legs) when I got her... now she is nearly the size of a small ball lol and she isn’t a year old yet...only about 6-7 months lol they are a lot of fun and as I mentioned the small ones are really funny.... we call our 3 the 3 stooges... they do silly things like fall over backwards randomly and like sit on their butts and they are just commical to watch... and those ones only get about an inch to 1 1/2” s big... much much smaller

Endlers would be ok in the 9g but not the 5g.... and would be a decent option... it says 10g but keep less or more water changes and 1g should be an issue.... but I think the reason they say 10g is they would want a 10g long...

I’m guessing that the 5g would be a standard 5g but because he is saying 9g tank I’m assuming it’s a 9g tall... maybe we should clarify with the OP.... are you looking at one of those glo light hex tanks that are tall? (For the 9g)

Weather a tank is tall or long can drastically change what we recommend :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2018
  2. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,455
    Experience:
    5 years
    It’s all about perspective, that law in Switzerland is incredibly ironic. The reason being is you can’t legally keep one Goldfish in a 100 gallon tank, but could legally keep two Goldfish in a BOWL. You have to take and pass a course there to own a dog, among other things.

Anyway, Dwarf African Frogs would be a great choice. You need a secure lid either way so they can’t get out and your son can’t get in, so it’s a good match.

3. Francine

Ratings:
    +320
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My point about the goldfish was not so much to point out the law... it was to point out that I wouldn’t keep 2 in a 20g (it’s too small)
    And you really shouldn’t just keep one (not that I would even keep 1 in a 20g.. still too small) A lot of people don’t realize that goldfish need social interaction so they do just that shove one in a small tank... and then the dish suffers for multiple reasons... and their are other countries that was just off the top of my head... but again it was besides the point....

As I said to the OP I’ll take a picture of my frogs when it’s day light here (both kinds) and you can see them... like I said before they are not quite like other frogs/toads.... because they live entirely in water so you can decorate it like a fish tank...

For my dwarf frogs I use little ceramic pots and some tiny little fake trees for them

And for my big frog she has caves and a piece of fake grass....

If you have feed them they become so game you can pet the bigger one (ACF’s) and they don’t even spook lol

But yes a tight lid... is a must but you can modify a normal tank easily... like use a mesh screen cut to fit around the filter or just use some creative ideas to cover anything.... you generally don’t need to worry near the filter too much because neither of them like water flow so they tend to stay away from that part... mine always go up to the surface away from where the filter is.... and for that reason you don’t want a powerful filter at all.... opposite what you would do for fish and overfilter... you almost want to under filter or use a filter that’s designed for that size of tank... like if you had a 10g tank get a filter that’s rated up to 10g’s and not higher like we would normally do for a fish tank

4. Bryangar

BryangarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,505
    Experience:
    2 years
    imagine getting a ticket for only having 1 goldfish

5. KKM

KKMValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +30
    Experience:
    2 years
    ACFs should really be in a 20 long or larger- at least, xenopus laevis should. They are very active and have an extremely high bioload (think axolotl). They are also social creatures and in my experience seem much more comfortable with tankmates of their own species. Overall, I’d say no to that idea for a nano for sure. A small group of ADFs, on the other hand, could do quite well.

My first fish were guppies, and I think having 2-3 males in a tank size is doable (depending on the strain). They are generally very hardy and much more tolerant of mistakes than most nano fish. The same goes for white clouds- they are bulletproof as far as small fish go and you could keep a small school in a 9 gallon.

6. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,259
    Experience:
    Just started
    I would almost certainly lose my mind. I’d be paranoid which fellow fishkeeper ratted me out :D Ah, let’s hope this never comes to pass. Seriously, though, I don’t like that law, overseas or not. I find it too divisive. We should be holding hands, regardless of difference of opinions. Love and Peace.

7. Tinnertheduck

TinnertheduckNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    1 year
    Have you thought about one of thise tanks with bubbles and lights and plastic fish? Visually pleasing and no worries about feeding cleaning etc.

8. Crazycoryfishlady

CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,223
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I recently found a lava lamp type one, they call it a mood lamp.
    It's jelly fish that rotate around and it lights up.
    Pretty cool.
    Or there's those one tanks with the plastic fish that you add soapy water to, the fish float and swim while you shake the container.
    Those were some of my first thoughts aside from guppies.
    I also thought pea puffers, but I'm pretty sure they would be more diet sensitive.

Perhaps he would take interest in a small crab or crawfish? They can eat things like hamburger as regular meals and still be pretty okay.
    My LFS guy fed his table scraps all the time as well as a stable diet.
    There are some cool crabs, though I'm sure he would probably like a fast darting fish better than a big scary crab thing lol

9. Francine

Ratings:
    +320
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    ACF’s minimum tank size if you look ANYWHERE is 10g’s for one frog....

10. Francine

Ratings:
    +320
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I once read that in some state (I think it was California) that it’s illegal to eat an orange in a bathtub lol you wonder where they come up with some of this stuff but the goldfish this I get... should I be illegal I don’t think so but my point was just to prove that they shouldn’t live singly lol

11. Fishcat

FishcatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +943
    Do you have an idea as to what sort of fish, or what characteristics of fish, interest him most? I think that’s where to begin - then we can rule out a lot of possibilities that might seem good but wouldn’t interest your son.
    I am not as experienced regarding the merits of different fish as most of the people here, but I think that, whatever fish you choose, it might be wise to include an extensive and hardy clean-up crew. A selection of the tougher snails - MTS, bladder, ramshorns - along with fast-growing plants could give you a little more insurance against feeding mishaps. Possibly it’s not a child-resistant fish but a child-resistant system that you need.

12. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,897
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Definitely not mollies. They would not tolerate a sudden change in water chemistry. And the aquarium in question is far too small.

I would go with the less fancy guppies/endlers. The closer to wild the better.

13. Twinkle

TwinkleNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    2 years
    You aren't supposed to have frogs with a kid under five due to salmonella risks.

14. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,685
    Experience:
    3 years
    I was going to recommend a small acrylic tank with a lid. Attach a hinge to one side and a hasp to the other so you can secure it. No fish will survive too much accidental abuse. One thinking of kid proofing the tank itself, an altogether new thought occurred to me. Abandon the nano tank idea. What prevents taking the entire tank to the tub to take a bath? Id rather clean up the mess in a large tank than see a nano tank cracked on the bathroom tile. Maybe convince the other half a 20 gallon as being safer, and then lock the 20 gallon lid down. 20 gallons is too heavy to try and take it for a walk anywhere.

On a completely different track, what about an artificial tank? Black light plastic jellyfish? You could mix up "special food" (just water with bbs or something) as food to introduce husbandry skills as well.

15. Francine

Ratings:
    +320
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I’m not sure (unless I missed something) that he is concerned about the child dumping the tank... just that he may put something in it... and it would take a very strong kid to move a 9g tank full of water and substrate.... they are heavy... even if it’s not glass...

That’s why I suggested the drawf frogs... if you hand feed them by the time they find whatever food he has put in you will be able to remove it quick enough... also they are so small that they don’t eat much and don’t eat fast... so it buys you some time...

Another option is going with the 5g... get a betta.... build a shelf or something (hopefully your handy) that will support its weight and put the tank up high enough on a shelf that he can see if but not dump stuff in.... it wouldn’t take much to support a shelf for a 5g and a betta and you can use very little substrate to make it lighter yet... Or go bare bottom....

just some other ideas

Here are the pics I said I would show you....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  16. OP
    OP
    fastraver

fastraverValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +39
    Experience:
    Just started
    Okay the fake tank is an idea that never crossed my mind. Might play with that idea.

The 5g or 9g tank, I will be looking at those today. As a friend if mine is moving and selling off his tanks.

My wife, the ever loving Jedi Vulcan. She logically suggested to see if he would be interested in feeding my tank in the evening.

Cause she would hate to see another tank in the house. I just grinned. Hahaha.

The maximum amount of fish I would get would be 2. I would do water changes when I do my 55g. Which is twice a week.

I have thought more about the frogs, I think he will be more interested in a fast moving fish.

You all have brought up great ideas. Thank you. Will keep you posted as what has happened.

Also all my tanks have been secured. Metal bars with cable locks are what I use to secure my lids.

17. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,544
  18. WinterSoldier.

WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,203
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I know this is going to sound terrible. But please don't get him a tank. I work with mental disabled people and I wouldn't give fish to them. Fish are delicate, and I wouldn't intentionally put them in a 'child proof' situation. Please think of the poor fish.

19. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,544
  20. Bryangar

BryangarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,505
    Experience:
    2 years
    You must have read it on a parody page or something. Not that i’ve eaten an orange in the bathtub, that’s just the most random thing i’ve heard.