Child Proof Fish

fastraver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay guys. Need your help. My 55 gallon is under lock and key. But my kid found a way to feed two cookies to my pretties. How, have an idea. But not 100 percent.

My son is mentally disabled. So he does not understand the concept of look but do not touch.

I am thinking of getting a small tank for him and get a couple of fishes.

What fish out there would be able to handle a earthquake, ice storm blizzard, tornado, hurricane, atomic blast and any other child disaster?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A convict in a 20 gallon long. Zebra/leopard danios. Tiger barbs. In sure I will think of more.

Francine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What size of tank?

I would advise something like live bearers (guppies, mollies, platys ect)

A betta

Some danios

Like 2 goldfish (if you can get a big enough tank as they will need larger than anything listed above)

Or some tetras

Those would be my recommendations

Just keep their fish food away where he can’t get at it so they aren’t over fed by him but they are all fairly hardy so if something ended up in the tank it may not be the end of the world (depending on what is was of course)

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Apparently several years ago before i was in the picture, one of our Autistic boys fed his sister's betta a chicken mcnugget....which did not end well. So not betta's.

fastraver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank size is going to be 5 to 9 gallon. Was thinking along the lines of guppies, Platys, and Danios. Could do Molly's.

Francine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
david1978 said:
A convict in a 20 gallon long. Zebra/leopard danios. Tiger barbs. In sure I will think of more.
I agree with some of those but I would avoid tiger barbs unless you can get a tank big enough for like 10 as they need large groups or they will bite and attack each other and then you can end up with having to treat fin nips and such constantly but I do agree with the part that they are very very hardy!

fastraver said:
Thank size is going to be 5 to 9 gallon. Was thinking along the lines of guppies, Platys, and Danios. Could do Molly's.
In a 5 gallon I wouldn’t put anything but a single betta... if it’s closer to 9g’s you could do a couple of guppies
That tank will be too small for mollies you may get away with 2-3 platys in a 9g but nothing smaller and will need good filtration like an AC... danios maybe but they like to swim... there’s not much room in that small of a tank

Mehu

Valued Member
Reaction score
5 gallons is very very hard to keep stable under good conditions. Bigger tanks are far easier.

What about aquatic plants and some snails?

Francine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mehu said:
5 gallons is very very hard to keep stable under good conditions. Bigger tanks are far easier.

What about aquatic plants and some snails?
This is a good idea....

Another thought is what about some dwarf frogs? You could put like 1-2 in a 5 gallon and 3-4 in a 9g... they are REALLY funny and do some odd things lol He would get a kick out of watching them as long as he would t try and take them out of the water....
If you go this route you would have time to get out any food he might throw in quick enough because they eat slow and are pretty much blind and they are easy to take care of because you only need to feed them about 3 times a week mine get one small meal then the next meal is a large fill up and then the next a medium meal... you would have less work and mine live on blood worms (for their small and medium meals) and small cut up earthworms for their fill up meal... I hand feed mine with tweezers so if someone put food in the tank I’m not sure they would even know how or what to do with it lol

And they have such a low low bioload (especially when handfed that nothing ever builds up in their tank (like ammonia and nitrite) ect.... so just change some of their water out every 2 weeks and they are happy... mine have been for years

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Honestly, a goldfish. I would go with the hardy varieties like commons, comets, shubunkins, and fantails, all of which are commonly sold and are tough enough, perhaps, to do okay with the occasional generous feeding. One or two is fine. What I just said is a very unpopular opinion, but it's, imo, a very reasonable, objective opinion.

Francine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
scarface said:
Honestly, a goldfish. I would go with the hardy varieties like commons, comets, shubunkins, and fantails, all of which are commonly sold and are tough enough, perhaps, to do okay with the occasional generous feeding. One or two is fine. What I just said is a very unpopular opinion, but it's, imo, a very reasonable opinon.
He can NOT put a goldfish in a 5 gallon or 9g tank!!!

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In a 10 gallon tank? Goldfish?

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Francine said:
He can NOT put a goldfish in a 5 gallon or 9g tank!!!
Where did he say it was a 5 or 9g tank?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Post 5.

Francine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
scarface said:
Where did he say it was a 5 or 9g tank?
Read his posts...

david1978 said:
In a 10 gallon tank? Goldfish?
Not even close.... more like minimum 30 gallon’s with GOOD filtration for 2 and that’s making sure they don’t get over fed ect

Goldfish are messy with a high bioload....

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you decide to upgrade to a 20 gallon long, I'd do one or two. Yes, even for the non-fancy varieties.

Francine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
scarface said:
If you decide to upgrade to a 20 gallon long, I'd do one or two. Yes, even for the non-fancy varieties.
I’m going to disagree here BIG time... do just a tiny bit of research I would not add a gold fish to anything less than 30 gallon’s and second you shouldn’t never just keep one goldfish... you should keep at least 2... scientifically proven that they can get lonely and depressed
It’s been proven that goldfish actually need social interaction and it’s not recommended to keep one by itself.... look it up... as well as tank size

As crazy as it sounds in some countries it’s actually illegal to keep a single goldfish...

fastraver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Due the movie and a thorn in my side, Finding Nemo. Gold fish are an out. I have a toad in a 20 long and he has no interest in it what so ever. As per wife, lack of water.

Never had a frog before. Might look into that.

I have had Danios, and they did survive as dither fish in my cichlid tank. But the point of the swimming a lot is very true.

I think neon tetras or guppies. That might work.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Francine said:
I’m going to disagree here BIG time... do just a tiny bit of research I would not add a gold fish to anything less than 30 gallon’s and second you shouldn’t never just keep one goldfish... you should keep at least 2... scientifically proven that they can get lonely and depressed
It’s been proven that goldfish actually need social interaction and it’s not recommended to keep one by itself.... look it up... as well as tank size

As crazy as it sounds in some countries it’s actually illegal to keep a single goldfish...
I'll have to disagree with your assessment too then. What countries is it illegal to keep a single goldfish?

Edit: OP doesn't want goldfish, so oh well. No sense in debating.

Francine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
scarface said:
I'll have to disagree with your assessment too then. What countries is it illegal to keep a single goldfish?

Edit: OP doesn't want goldfish, so oh well. No sense in debating.
Yes I know the OP doesn’t want goldfish but it’s always good to educate people as well....

Switzerland is one... go ahead look it up...
It’s been scientifically proven that they are fish that need social behaviors and company or it can lead to depression and lethargy in the fish...

I have been keeping fish both fresh and salt (and many other aquatic animals) for over 30 years....I have everything from all kinds of fish to frogs to axoltyls... I am well versed and I would not advise it if it was not true...

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Francine said:
Yes I know the OP doesn’t want goldfish but it’s always good to educate people as well....

Switzerland is one... go ahead look it up...
It’s been scientifically proven that they are fish that need social behaviors and company or it can lead to depression and lethargy in the fish...

I have been keeping fish both fresh and salt (and many other aquatic animals) for over 30 years....I have everything from all kinds of fish to frogs to axoltyls... I am well versed and I would not advise it if it was not true...
Yikes! Sounds overbearing, to be honest. I hope they don't do that here, in the US--not that I keep a single goldfish by itself or anything.

If OP is going to stick with a nano tank, I'd go with a small group of male endlers with a few Amano shrimp. I think the activity level will be fun to watch for your kid.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads