Child Proof Fish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by fastraver, Nov 9, 2018.

1. fastraver

fastraver Valued Member Member

Okay guys. Need your help. My 55g is under lock and key. But my kid found a way to feed two cookies to my pretties. How, have an idea. But not 100 percent.

My son is mentally disabled. So he does not understand the concept of look but do not touch.

I am thinking of getting a small tank for him and get a couple of fishes.

What fish out there would be able to handle a earthquake, ice storm blizzard, tornado, hurricane, atomic blast and any other child disaster?

2. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

A convict in a 20 gallon long. Zebra/leopard danios. Tiger barbs. In sure I will think of more.

3. Francine

Francine Well Known Member Member

What size of tank?

I would advise something like live bearers (guppies, mollies, platys ect)

A betta

Some danios

Like 2 goldfish (if you can get a big enough tank as they will need larger than anything listed above)

Or some tetras

Those would be my recommendations

Just keep their fish food away where he can’t get at it so they aren’t over fed by him but they are all fairly hardy so if something ended up in the tank it may not be the end of the world (depending on what is was of course)

4. Betta'sAnonymous

Betta'sAnonymous Well Known Member Member

Apparently several years ago before i was in the picture, one of our Autistic boys fed his sister's betta a chicken mcnugget....which did not end well. So not betta's.

5. OP
    OP
    fastraver

Thank size is going to be 5 to 9 gallon. Was thinking along the lines of guppies, Platys, and Danios. Could do Molly's.

6. Francine

I agree with some of those but I would avoid tiger barbs unless you can get a tank big enough for like 10 as they need large groups or they will bite and attack each other and then you can end up with having to treat fin nips and such constantly but I do agree with the part that they are very very hardy!

In a 5g I wouldn’t put anything but a single betta... if it’s closer to 9g’s you could do a couple of guppies
    That tank will be too small for mollies you may get away with 2-3 platys in a 9g but nothing smaller and will need good filtration like an AC... danios maybe but they like to swim... there’s not much room in that small of a tank

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2018
  7. Mehu

Mehu Valued Member Member

5 gallons is very very hard to keep stable under good conditions. Bigger tanks are far easier.

What about aquatic plants and some snails?

8. Francine

This is a good idea....

Another thought is what about some dwarf frogs? You could put like 1-2 in a 5g and 3-4 in a 9g... they are REALLY funny and do some odd things lol He would get a kick out of watching them as long as he would t try and take them out of the water....
    If you go this route you would have time to get out any food he might throw in quick enough because they eat slow and are pretty much blind and they are easy to take care of because you only need to feed them about 3 times a week mine get one small meal then the next meal is a large fill up and then the next a medium meal... you would have less work and mine live on blood worms (for their small and medium meals) and small cut up earthworms for their fill up meal... I hand feed mine with tweezers so if someone put food in the tank I’m not sure they would even know how or what to do with it lol

And they have such a low low bioload (especially when handfed that nothing ever builds up in their tank (like ammonia and nitrite) ect.... so just change some of their water out every 2 weeks and they are happy... mine have been for years

9. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Honestly, a goldfish. I would go with the hardy varieties like commons, comets, shubunkins, and fantails, all of which are commonly sold and are tough enough, perhaps, to do okay with the occasional generous feeding. One or two is fine. What I just said is a very unpopular opinion, but it's, imo, a very reasonable, objective opinion.

10. Francine

He can NOT put a goldfish in a 5g or 9g tank!!!

11. david1978

In a 10 gallon tank? Goldfish?

12. scarface

Where did he say it was a 5 or 9g tank?

13. david1978

Post 5.

14. Francine

Read his posts...

Not even close.... more like minimum 30g’s with GOOD filtration for 2 and that’s making sure they don’t get over fed ect

Goldfish are messy with a high bioload....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2018
  15. scarface

If you decide to upgrade to a 20g long, I'd do one or two. Yes, even for the non-fancy varieties.

16. Francine

I’m going to disagree here BIG time... do just a tiny bit of research I would not add a gold fish to anything less than 30g’s and second you shouldn’t never just keep one goldfish... you should keep at least 2... scientifically proven that they can get lonely and depressed
    It’s been proven that goldfish actually need social interaction and it’s not recommended to keep one by itself.... look it up... as well as tank size

As crazy as it sounds in some countries it’s actually illegal to keep a single goldfish...

17. OP
    OP
    fastraver

Due the movie and a thorn in my side, Finding Nemo. Gold fish are an out. I have a toad in a 20 long and he has no interest in it what so ever. As per wife, lack of water.

Never had a frog before. Might look into that.

I have had Danios, and they did survive as dither fish in my cichlid tank. But the point of the swimming a lot is very true.

I think neon tetras or guppies. That might work.

18. scarface

I'll have to disagree with your assessment too then. What countries is it illegal to keep a single goldfish?

Edit: OP doesn't want goldfish, so oh well. No sense in debating.

19. Francine

Yes I know the OP doesn’t want goldfish but it’s always good to educate people as well....

Switzerland is one... go ahead look it up...
    It’s been scientifically proven that they are fish that need social behaviors and company or it can lead to depression and lethargy in the fish...

I have been keeping fish both fresh and salt (and many other aquatic animals) for over 30 years....I have everything from all kinds of fish to frogs to axoltyls... I am well versed and I would not advise it if it was not true...

20. scarface

Yikes! Sounds overbearing, to be honest. I hope they don't do that here, in the US--not that I keep a single goldfish by itself or anything.

If OP is going to stick with a nano tank, I'd go with a small group of male endlers with a few Amano shrimp. I think the activity level will be fun to watch for your kid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice