Child Dumped Chemicals And Food In Tank - Help Needed!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettafanatic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok here is the deal. My 2yp woke up this morning before me and dumped every chemical and all fish food I had under my aquarium into my 30g. These chemicals include an entire LG bottle of water conditioner, small bottle of antibacterial meds, an entire lg bottle of algaefix (never used), my test water kits drops, and again all flakes and pellets. The store wont be open for another 2 hrs so is it better to leave the water as is or put the fish in straight tap water with chlorine and all? I'm freaking out!!!

VeiltailKing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Any conditioner left over? If so get a bucket full of water and dose the water conditioner. Then move all the fish until you can get everything sorted.

bettafanatic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Any conditioner left over? If so get a bucket full of water and dose the water conditioner. Then move all the fish until you can get everything sorted.
Nope nothing left. She literally dumped EVERYHING into the tank. I really don't know which is worse chlorine or all the chemicals. Those are my choices until the store opens and I can get more conditioner

VeiltailKing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tough choice... how are they acting right now?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Get to a store asap then, the extra water conditioner and algaefix does have a very high chanve of killing the fish

bettafanatic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Tough choice... how are they acting right now?
My ottos are dead, my cories are just laying still and my betta is hiding. I have 2 leftover neons from old school that are flailing about at the top of the tank. Personally I'll be surprised if any of them make it. I think I'm going to take some of the water out into a bucket and fill with tap water and hope there is enough conditioner to counteract the chlorine. Not sure what else to do. She also threw scissors, long tweezers, toothbrush and everything I kept under the aquarium in with the fish.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Use only a very small amount of the old water, good luck, I'm so sorry

Fishcat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Can you get spring water or other untreated water from somewhere sooner? Gas station, convenience store, somewhere? I would think the testing drops, at least, would be toxic.

VeiltailKing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fill a bucket with tap and a little bit of the old water and move the fish. I’m not making any guarantees, but it’s worth a try.

rainbowsprinkles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh no...Go to the grocery store right now and buy spring water if your pet store is not open.

Fill a bucket with tap and a little bit of the old water and move the fish. I’m not making any guarantees, but it’s worth a try.
This might help while you are on your way to the store..

Ok here is the deal. My 2yp woke up this morning before me and dumped every chemical and all fish food I had under my aquarium into my 30g. These chemicals include an entire LG bottle of water conditioner, small bottle of antibacterial meds, an entire lg bottle of algaefix (never used), my test water kits drops, and again all flakes and pellets. The store wont be open for another 2 hrs so is it better to leave the water as is or put the fish in straight tap water with chlorine and all? I'm freaking out!!!
Don’t you have a Walmart nearby? They must be open. Most have a fish section..

Last edited by a moderator:

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IVe got nothinv too just hope it works out for you and i think i might buy locks for the fish stand tomorrow

bettafanatic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
IVe got nothinv too just hope it works out for you and i think i might buy locks for the fish stand tomorrow
Sad part is I have kiddie lock on my aquarium.Not sure if I didn't tighten it enough or what after feeding my fish last night.

bettafanatic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Got my one surviving fish out. Now going to the store to get more dechlorinizer and food. I don't think he is going to make it because he is just lying at the top of the water. Should I replace sand too? What about the plants? I use sponge filters, should I get another filter or just clean the ones I have? Omg this is a mess. None of the other fish were moving and I can't find the 2 neons that were at the top. I even used the net to touch a few of my cories and they just turned on their sides from being touched.

Michael.j.gomez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello, i would use a cup or 2 of tank water,the conditioner dumped in water should be enough to cover a 5gal bucket of water if it was a whole bottle & it might dilute chems enough for fish to survive. Worth a shot! Hope this helps!!!!!

RuralGuppykeeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My guess is the sponge filters, plants, and probably also the sand substrate will be fine to reuse; after you remove the 'dirt' and rinse them very thoroughly.

If it makes you feel any better, I've had a slightly similar experience several years ago with a young sibling 'helping' by feeding half of a large container of fish flakes into a 10 gallon guppy aquarium, while I was away in school. I vacuumed all my gravel substrate and I think most or all of my guppies survived.

BettaMaxx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OMG I'm so sorry! How traumatic for you and your fish friends. Any updates? Have you made it to the store? You can by preconditioned water in the betta section. I think you can rinse your filters and sand and re-use. Just replace and carbon filter media.

bettafanatic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Still cleaning the tank and all equipment. Found 2 more survivors but they are acting funny so they probably won't make it. They even let me catch them with the net so definately sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom