Chiclids Won't Breed?

Platyarelife

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think it would be fun for them to breed and get some babies since I have room for a couple more and put others in a different tank, though I've seen no signs of them breeding. I have a hard time telling their sexes but when I got them the guy told me he was almost sure that my Blue Zebras were all female and my Bumble Bees are males. My Cobalt Chiclid I am almost sure is a male based on how it behaves. I have one Electric Yellow and I got 0 clue what it might be. I am at the beginning of planting the tank since it's bare right now. I plan on getting tall plants for them to hide in and swim around.
I am curious as to what I should do to encourage breeding and when they reach sexual maturity. I don't know how old they are but all my Blue Zebras (supposed females) are very small, one is still very baby like so I would assume they aren't sexually mature yet. Any advice?

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Platyarelife said:
I think it would be fun for them to breed and get some babies since I have room for a couple more and put others in a different tank, though I've seen no signs of them breeding. I have a hard time telling their sexes but when I got them the guy told me he was almost sure that my Blue Zebras were all female and my Bumble Bees are males. My Cobalt Chiclid I am almost sure is a male based on how it behaves. I have one Electric Yellow and I got 0 clue what it might be. I am at the beginning of planting the tank since it's bare right now. I plan on getting tall plants for them to hide in and swim around.
I am curious as to what I should do to encourage breeding and when they reach sexual maturity. I don't know how old they are but all my Blue Zebras (supposed females) are very small, one is still very baby like so I would assume they aren't sexually mature yet. Any advice?
So just to clarify, you have several different species of cichlids many of which are female and you want them to breed. First off you need the tank setup with hiding spots. They will make an area for spawning. Your water chemistry has to be correct for cichlids to spawn. That includes pH and hardness. When they hit maturity they will either pair off or they wont. Encouraging them is all done by environmental control and let nature take its course.

Platyarelife

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
NavyChief20 said:
So just to clarify, you have several different species of cichlids many of which are female and you want them to breed. First off you need the tank setup with hiding spots. They will make an area for spawning. Your water chemistry has to be correct for cichlids to spawn. That includes pH and hardness. When they hit maturity they will either pair off or they wont. Encouraging them is all done by environmental control and let nature take its course.
If I'm not mistaken The Zebras and Bumble Bees are both Kenyi Chiclids. The names are more of a color variant.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bumble bee cichlid = Pseudotropheus Crabro
Cobalt Blue Zebra = Maylandia Callainos or Maylandia Greshakei or Metriaclima Callianos

Kenyi Cichlid = Maylandia Lombardoi

They are from the same genus of Maylandia but diffrent species. The names are not a color variant

edevingo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In my experience Mbuna do better spawning if they are in a species only tank with 1 male to 3-5 females or in a large enough tank 2 herem groups. Mbuna can become overly distracted with territory issues and end up not stopping to spawn. Of course that's my experience. Everyone's is obviosly different and every fish has it's own unique personality.
My Haps and Peacocks, they don't stop for nothing and the fry start to practice very young. Lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom