Chichlid Rocks?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by reaper12122, Jan 5, 2013.

1. reaper12122Valued MemberMember

is there such thing and how do they help i have a few rocks i picked up from my lfs so ANY info will help

2. mmolitor87Well Known MemberMember

The most common rocks used with cichlids are Texas Holey Rocks. As the name suggests, they have tons of holes. Any rocks you can stack to make a cave out of will work well. A lot of people tend to prefer slate for this. Be advised that slate can have sharp edges and you should make sure you fish won't hurt themselves.

A great alternative are unglazed terracotta pots.

3. reaper12122Valued MemberMember

Thanks il have to take a few pictures and show you guys i really like them

4. Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

One time I took a different road home - found a creek bed - jack pot - went home with a 5 gallon bucket full of keepers

5. reaper12122Valued MemberMember

do you guys know how to test them to see if there good and safe for my tank

6. mmolitor87Well Known MemberMember

Put a thin later of vinegar in a bucket and place the rocks in one at a time. If they create any sort of froth or foam don't use them. :)

For the rest, look down a few posts. :p

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  7. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

I am always looking for rocks when I go out walking. I had a field day when they did some excavating in our yard and uncovered all kinds of different shaped ones. Some of them were fossilized - if that's what you call it - with the imprints of shells and even a couple of small insects on them.

8. GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Correct, but you shouldn't boil rocks :)

Scrub them in water until the water comes out clean. Then leave them in hot water for about a week.

9. mmolitor87Well Known MemberMember

Oh. I'll correct that. :p lol Wasn't aware it was a bad thing to do!

10. marine590622Well Known MemberMember

OK, so why not boil them?

11. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Rocks can EXPLODE! This is why you do not boil them.

Cichlid stones are used for breeding some African species. It replicates their wild habitat giving them a safe place to spawn.

12. mmolitor87Well Known MemberMember

Interesting on both points. Explosions...eep!

13. marine590622Well Known MemberMember

Water boils at 212 degrees F Hot enough to sterilize the stone, possibly hot enough to case water in the stone to expand enough to crack a stone, but I doubt you would experience any sort of "explodeing" I routinely pick up stone and boil it, Admittedly I do so on an outdoor grill in a heavy metal pot with a secure cover. I also carve some of my own breading caves so I have some idea of what I am talking about here.

14. marine590622Well Known MemberMember

Just so you know there is a comercial product out there called Cichlid Rocks. High density plastic rocks, stackable and hollow. When I saw them at the introduction at the ACA 2010, I liked them but thought the price point was to high.

15. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Cichlid stones is actually a brand name :)

As for boiling rocks exploding, they can explode while boiling if they have cracks in the or if cool water is poured over them to cool them after boiling.

I have boiled rocks but they are put in a heavy soup pot with a lid. The lid doesn'r come off until they have cooled off naturally. Usually the next day.

Carol

16. reaper12122Valued MemberMember

i got some really cool ones at the lfs with caves and crevasses and stuff il pust some pics up

i got like real stones/boulders lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice