Cherry Shrimps Not Berried

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Sina-key, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Sina-keyWell Known MemberMember

I bought 17 of them 4 weeks ago but i never saw a berried female and im wondering why my tank is moderately planted and has lots hiding places including a driftwood with a cave beneath it,java moss,a sunken ship with holes in it and dense plants also my water is very hard both Gh and Kh are high they molt alot there is lots of algae and dying plants matter in my tank also i feed them with something called crusta sticks several times in the week I tried to feed them lettuce and cucumber but they didn't eat it
    Also Im keeping them in a 30 gallon tank with 15 other fish they don't bother them except my endlers during feeding time when shrimps are eating their food endlers attacks them and starts to eat their food can this affect shrimps breeding?

2. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

It shouldn't affect your shrimp o would justgive them time

3. FishRFriendz

FishRFriendzWell Known MemberMember

Sexual maturity is about 4-6 months. They reach sellable size at 2 months. A watched pot never boils.

4. Summer22

Summer22Valued MemberMember

Can you see a saddle on any of them? If you're not sure of what they are/look like, here's a good read.

The female will first develop a "saddle". Which are the eggs in ovaries before fertilized by male. Then she will molt. Then the males will chase when they sense the hormones from female. Then you will see the female berried. The eggs get fertilized as they move from "saddle" to her under carriage where she's called berried. (sorry if you already knew this)

So again... do you see any saddles? If you don't yet, it could mean a long wait. (unless they are so dark you can't see saddle? I Don't know if this is common or not.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    S

Sina-keyWell Known MemberMember

Thank for replies im pretty sure at least 2 of my females reach sexual maturity one of them even had eggs when I introduced them to the tank
    Also they have different colors all females are something call chocolate shrimps while all males are wild type and rcs can this make any problem with breeding?(I don't want high quality shrimp with deep red im happy with them)

6. leftswerve

leftswerveWell Known MemberMember

The fish in the tank can be causing problems. Ammonia (unclycled tank) can cause problem. New tank with no tank scum built up can be a problem.
    Good luck op.

7. FishRFriendz

FishRFriendzWell Known MemberMember

Well if they were berried when you got them, then you're looking at about 40 days till they can berry again. So you've got another week or so more to wait, providing you have mature males.

If they're not dying, then just wait it out.

8. OP
    OP
    S

Sina-keyWell Known MemberMember

Okay thanks

9. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

If you got them when they were quite small and you've seen them being berried, there's a good chance that they're laying eggs. Young females often don't know how to carry the eggs and will "kick" them off. The eggs then land on substrate and plants and die off. The eggs are supposed to be carried in the females belly until they're ready to hatch.
    This is a pretty common issue that will solve itself when the shrimp has been berried enough times to be more experienced.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice