Cherry Shrimp ??

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by 86 ssinit, Apr 18, 2018.

1. 86 ssinit

86 ssinit Well Known Member Member

I started a cherry shrimp tank. 5.5 gal with 4 shrimp. I now have the 4 and 2 babies. So what happened? Also now looks like one of the shrimp is berried. What happens now? Also just added 3 tangerine shrimp. They do get along?? Yes I’m new to shrimp and thought if they are berried I’d end up with more than just 2.

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

There's likely babies you just don't see yet, they're very good at hiding. If a shrimp is berried, you should see babies in 3-4 weeks. If the tangerine shrimp are tigers, yes they will get along and won't interbreed, but keep in mind tigers are much more sensitive than cherries. And yes, typically a clutch is 10-30 eggs

3. BillynJennifer

BillynJennifer Valued Member Member

If the female that hatched the two babies was very young, she may have only had two eggs. She'll get better as time goes on. Your other shrimp that is berried should hatch her babies between 3 and 4 weeks. Your tangerine shrimp (if it's a neocaridina) will get along with your cherry shrimp because they are the same kind of shrimp with different colors. Now, if your cherries and tangerines breed to each other, you will eventually get wild muddy, brown colors out of them.

4. OP
    OP
    86 ssinit

Do they drop the eggs or hold till they hatch? When I got the first 4 I thought one was berried but than I didn’t see the eggs and though5 it molted. Can eggs hatch at different times? The 2 babies are about 1/4 inch.

5. BillynJennifer

They will hold the eggs until they hatch and they will hatch within a very short time of each other.

6. Rtessy

However, I've noticed they don't always grow at the same rate. Some from my first batch we're 1/2" after three weeks, some we're 1/4" and there were two even smaller than that.

7. OP
    OP
    86 ssinit

Thanks all for the replies and info. I know so much more than yesterday:).

8. OP
    OP
    86 ssinit

Found a dead tangerine but the other 2 look fine.

9. Rtessy

Are the tangerines neocaridina or caridina? The cherries are caridina while tangerine tigers are caridina, but there is also an orange cherry shrimp. I ask because the parameters for caridina and neocaridina are pretty different, but there is a small area of overlap between tigers and cherries. Any chance you know your gH or kH? or pH? Also, caridina are just more sensitive in general, so it is still very likely you didn't do anything wrong and it was just stress from transport and such.

10. OP
    OP
    86 ssinit

4D1FA751-A691-4E6B-80B2-99E795A7F5A6.jpeg FE15D8D0-1FCA-491A-8203-C50E74286499.jpeg Ph is 6.8 added a piece of cuttlebone. No clue of the gh/kh. Here’s some pics. Thanks.

11. BillynJennifer

Actually, cherry shrimp are Neocaridina. You could keep cherry shrimp (neocaridina) in the same water parameters as a caridina shrimp, but not the other way around.

12. Rtessy

Oh lol, I meant neo's whoops. I can't really tell 100% from the picture, but tigers and neo's can be mixed at a pH of 6.6-7.4, gH 6, kH two or less. I just can't tell from the pic, but if those are orange neo's and they breed with the reds, you'll end up with a lot of wild type babies

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice