Cherry shrimp

1. Xavierdickenson Initiate Member

So I've cycled my 5 gallon tank and it now has 15 red cherry shrimp in there. Would I be able to put in a couple of Platy as well?

[​IMG]

2. Xavierdickenson Initiate Member

Also will I have to put in any fish food or something to give them to feed on? They are currently the only thing in there.

3. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Put in a slice of zucchini.
    [​IMG]
    And if you just put them in there I'd wait a week or two before adding anything else.

Although I don't know if a 5 gallon is appropriate for platys. Maybe a Betta?

4. Xavierdickenson Initiate Member

Will the zucchini colour or make the water dirty?

5. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Shouldn't do that at all, not strong enough. It's super cool watching them eat it. It might take a day or so for the zucchini to soften up enough for them to eat it. Leave it in there until it is eaten or until you can tell it's ready to be replaced (you'll be able to tell, although with so many shrimp in your tank it might get devoured. I only have 3 in my tank and they munch on it a lot)

It's so cool to watch them eat it because the zucchini breaks into fibers and the shrimp will pull out fibers and eat them, sometimes even running off with some of it.

6. ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

Love your tank set up its amazing, I have the same size tank and I'm also struggling to find what I could stock it with had a few platy myself and they all died as its my first aquarium set up and clearly I didn't let it cycle properly. Can you get bettas in the uk? And do they prefer a heated tank?

7. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

You can most likely find them somewhere in the UK, and yes they require a heated tank unless your living somewhere where the water stays 78-82 year round. But let's not hijack the thread, if you have more questions, make a new thread. Shrimp are also a great option and interesting to watch!

8. ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

Sorry new to this app and finding it alittle hard to use, sorry for hijacking your thread dude!

9. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

I wouldnt leave it for more than 24 hours, for sure. It will foul your water if left too long. You will definitely be able to tell because the water will get cloudy.
    Platies are not suitable for a 5g. If you want fish in the tank as well, I would go for the betta, but keep in mind the betta might find your shrimp to be tasty snacks

Also, to soften the vegetables, blanch them before putting into the tank.
    If you dont, by the time they get soft enough, your water is dirty and cloudy

10. BellatheBetta Member Member

Go for the betta! It would look amazing in your tank setup and would enjoy the 5 gallons. You can get bettas in the UK- I saw some beautiful ones in Maidenhead Aquatics the other day.

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Just be careful, as some bettas will eat the shrimp. There's nothing wrong with keeping it an invert tank!

12. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I put 3 rcs in a 10 gallon with my betta, betta didnt pay any attention to them.... I checked back before bed and i see just their tails laying in the gravel... So you can try it if you want. I thought it would work for me because i also have 2 mystery snails and betta has never bothered them. I figured shrimp will be too fast to be caught but maybe i just didnt have enough hiding places for the shrimp.

13. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Oops I belive my reply was meant for you but I clicked to the wrong comment so it doesn't make sense lol.

14. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Amano shrimp and ghost shrimp are a good size to keep Betta from bothering them, but I'd be worried about RCS. TBH I'd probably keep that tank as a shrimp tank. They'll flourish and really show their personalities in a tank without predators.

By the way, that tank looks beautiful!!

15. Xavierdickenson Initiate Member

Unfortunately my local ps only stocks RCS and no other types.

16. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

If you really want something else then Betta is pretty much your only option. Perhaps a baby Betta so that it's not big enough to eat the shrimp, and won't be as hostile towards them since it's grown up with them, plus you get to watch it grow!

17. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

A baby betta can still eat all the adults when it's an adult. It's anthropomorphizing to say that since they "grow up" together, they'll be nice to each other. It doesn't quite work that way with fish.

18. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't add a fish personally. If you want something else in there, maybe consider a mystery snail or a few nerites. Adding a fish, well, you risk not only the shrimp becoming food, but the shrimp spending more time hiding instead of being out and visible.

The tank looks awesome. Your little guys should be out and swimming about using the whole thing in no time, if your concern is not enough activity in the tank. They will also multiply. I started with 8 RCS in my 10g a few months ago (also houses two mystery snails) and they are regularly swimming around all over the place. Also, I think I'm up to about 30-40 now with 3 or 4 more girls who are berried. No real idea at this point since one just gave birth last night, and I can barely see them, let alone count the newborns.

19. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

I have one Betta that snacks on them and one that doesn't care about them BUT will occasionally eat some of the fry,

20. Xavierdickenson Initiate Member

[​IMG]
    They love it. At one point there was like 7 on there!