Cherry Shrimp!

orangeclumsy1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello everyone! I have not had a tank in a long, long time and I'm wanting to start back up again. The only thing is that I tend to lose interest in fish rather quickly, but shrimp fascinate me, so I'm going to be starting a cherry shrimp tank! I plan to be breeding them and eventually mixing up breeding stock after a while, maybe selling to the pet store I work at as well. The issue I've been running into though, is that the only store that sells them near me sells them for $8 each! I was hoping to find some for around $2 each or less, and I was wanting 20-30. I'll be keeping them in a 20 gallon long tank with sand and most--if not all--live plants. I don't know if it matters or not but I'm also planning on using a Marine land Penguin 200 filter with a sponge over the intake to prevent sucked up shrimp.

Just as a heads up--my tank is not yet set up. I will be setting it up very very soon, but I'm trying to figure out exactly where the best places to get all the hardware and such for my tank are. This means I won't be able to get the shrimp for another week or two, but I will be getting them as soon as I can.

So does anyone have some cherry shrimp that they are willing to sell for $2 or less each? I'm wanting 20-30 and will be able to order them within the next couple of weeks. Thanks so much!

orangeclumsy1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Also--Change that filter to a sponge filter. I've done more research and I believe that that is the route I will be going instead of the Penguin.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
definitely grab a sponge filter if your going to to do a shrimp tank the babies will feed on the build up of organic material on the sponge filter.

Also if your going to have shrimp you might want to let your tank mature for a month or two to allow for your tank parameters to stabilize and for a build up of algae for your shrimp to feed off.

I have no idea for the cost but you might want to hunt around the forum for some one willing to sell near you.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom