Cherry shrimp - would you adjust these parameters?

Tezzy

Hi all,

I have a 5.5 gallon planted tank with some CPDs and cherry shrimp. I’ve had the shrimp for a couple months - I started with 20, but the population of adults has been slowly dwindling - I’ll have a couple losses each week. Some seem to be molting issues but the others no detectable cause. There’s a large second generation growing up and all seem to be thriving. My parameters are 78C, 0 ammonia/nitrite, 5 nitrate, 6.6 ph, kh 2 and GH 9. I know the kh and ph are low, but I hesitate to add crushed coral as that drives the GH up (learned that the hard way when I had a GH of 12 about a month ago). Any ideas on how to create a more optimal environment?
78F!!! Lol ;-)

ChrissFishes01

I'd add crushed coral.

A dGH of 12 isn't even that high - mine comes out of the tap around 18-20, and IME, the vast majority of creatures in the hobby are going to be able to thrive in relatively basic (7.0+) and hard water.

Consider, too, what conditions those shrimp were raised in. In my Cherry Shrimp "tank" (it's a bucket) I have crushed coral and cuttle bone. The PH runs 7.8-8.0, dGH runs around 25, and KH runs around 8.5. These parameters aren't what a lot of people consider optimal for Neocaridina, but mine do well. If we were to take my shrimp, and acclimate them to your water, I'd bet money that they'd fall apart.

Upvote 0

Tezzy

Super helpful, and great context - thanks. I’ll add the coral tonight. Watch me come back here in a couple months asking what to do with 100 thriving shrimp in a 5.5 gal ;-)

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Super helpful, and great context - thanks. I’ll add the coral tonight. Watch me come back here in a couple months asking what to do with 100 thriving shrimp in a 5.5 gal ;-)
I hope so!

The fact that the babies are doing so well while the adults struggle makes me think that acclimation was part of the issue, long-term. The coral should slowly buffer the water a bit to get it into a more moderate range.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Nize69
Replies
Views
Mandarabe
  • Question
Replies
Views