Cherry shrimp tank wc period

FBI

I been doing 10-15% wc on my shrimp tank weekly. However, i noticed there is cases where after i done wc, there will be some baby shrimp missing next few day. Eventually it goes down to only a few left.

I asked a guy with a colony of 500+ shrimps in 15gallon. He said that it was because weekly wc probably too much for only shrimp tank. He recommended I should do it once every 3 week or monthly. I always assumed wc will benefits the shrimp as it replenish mineral and reduce nitrate in the tank

I have cuttlefish bone in the shrimp tank to provide calcium. I also been feeding them variety of food to provide extra mineral. The shrimps are breeding, it's just that the babies gone without any reason. I didn't consider the wc might killing them until i ask the guy. I made sure i provide enough biofilm so they don't starve and enough calcium for the babies molting.

Water parameter:
ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 2 tds: 182
( i don't have gh and kh test kit)
The 5gal tank is planted. Not lightly or heavily.

I probably wrote too much but i just wanted to describe my situation. So my question is, will it be fine to do monthly wc?

richiep

First off Weekley water changes are beneficial
Second with a tds of 182 i suspect your gh is very low which will kill shrimp so why your adviser hasn't picked that up I dont know so that needs checking
If you gravel vac then again that shouldn't be done every week instead put an open ended pipe mid to bottom water and gently tak and larger bits, its then important to check your bucket for babies and return them, the water change is right if done correctly the chances are you are sucking them up.
What is your full routine in doing a water change?
Cuttlefish takes a long time to work and even then is not sufficient for shrimp you should be adding veg at least twice a week which will keep them in good health,
Just because you have 500+in a tank dosnt necessarily mean alls well you could be loosing a dozen on a water change and not notice as there's a lot of breeding going on,
Small amounts are more noticeable

FBI

Thought that tds of 150-200 are optimal for cherry shrimp? I will try to get gh and kh testkit asap
I check bucket everytime i do wc, no baby inside just incase. There won't be any since i tied a prefilter sponge on the inlet so ntg will be suck up except water
The cuttlefish bone is in about 1month, i put a small piece in it, it sink after a week.
Blanched veg are fed to the shrimps every 5day, broccoli zucchini etc.
I rarely done gravel vac, probably only once every 1 month.
I don't get the question of full routine in doing wc. I suck 10-15% water out, get a bucket, add dechlorinator. Add the water in slowly so it doesn't disturb anything.

richiep

Tds is only a guide once you know what your gh is, its low gh kills shrimp not high or low tds
Water change do you put cold water in the tank
That amount of veg every day unless its being eaten will drift off and can foul your water, not even i feed that much

FBI

I started from 10 shrimps, its now at 50+. The veg got consumed pretty fast, prob in 1-3h, i wouldn't want to feed them large piece and let the uneaten part breakdown in the tank . I been doing the same thing from the start. My tapwater have same temp with my tank, i living in tropical country so the temp is constant.

If it's due to gh level what can i do to raise it? My country water are pretty soft, tds around 40. Thats why i added the bone to raise the hardness and provide calcium

richiep

For us to get this right it's important to have as much information from you as possible
You can't adjust anything until you have a base to work from, I've attached A template if you can do your best to fill as much as possible it will stop.all the questions being asked not only by myself but others who will join in
Having 50+and feeding a little veg is fine but you can see how confusing it can get answering as I was not aware of the full circumstances
So this way will help if you can do this for us

What species is your problem related to? (e.g. Red Cherry Shrimp)

Water Parameters

Please give as many as possible
PH
GH
KH
Nitrites
Nitrates
Ammonia
Copper
TDS
Temperature

Your Aquarium

Size?
How long has this tank been set up?
Are there any other inhabitants?
What is your water change schedule and%?
What do you feed and how often?
Do you add any chemicals? (water conditioner, fertiliser,meds etc)
Filtration?
Substrate?

Introduction to the Tank (if applicable)

How long has the invert been in the tank?
How did you acclimate them?

Please explain your problem with as much information as possible and include pictures if you can.

FBI

What species is your problem related to? (e.g. Red Cherry Shrimp)

Water Parameters

Please give as many as possible
PH 7.2
GH don't have testkit
KH
nitrites 0
nitrates 2
ammonia 0
Copper don't have testkit
tds 182
Temperature 27C

Your Aquarium

Size? 5 gallon
How long has this tank been set up? About 6 month
Are there any other inhabitants?
No
What is your water change schedule and%?
Weekly 10-15%
What do you feed and how often?
Every other day, hikari shrimp cuisine, blanched veg
Do you add any chemicals? (water conditioner, fertiliser,meds etc)
No, just dechlorinator
Filtration?
Sponge filter
Substrate?
Aquasoil

Introduction to the Tank (if applicable)

How long has the invert been in the tank?
About 5 month
How did you acclimate them?
Drip acclimation for hours

richiep

Can you just check the ph in your tap water and the tds in the tap water I know you said your country is around 40 but before it goes in the tank

FBI

Ah i see, the ph in the tap water is 7.3 tds 41

In the tank is 7.2 tds 182

richiep

OK so anything you add to the tank will rise your tds, tds is made up of organic and inorganic, so food breaking down that as minerals in like broccoli will rise it
So this is giving you a false reading
Now your ph 7.2 is close to neutral that being the case and low tds is making me thing your gh is low so before you do anything its important to get the gh tested most shops will do this free some charge, don't start doing anything until you have all the data

FBI

Got it, thanks. I will update here if anything happen

richiep

Just remember its harder to keep your water parameters stable in a small tank like you'rs and any fast, large fluctuations will kill shrimp

FBI

Just remember its harder to keep your water parameters stable in a small tank like you'rs and any fast, large fluctuations will kill shrimp
Yeah, i always careful of what i adding in the tank

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Evergreen2
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mandy627
Replies
Views