Cherry Shrimp Tank Mates

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by KingD, Jul 8, 2015.

1. KingD

KingDFishlore VIPMember

Could anyone tell me if it would be okay to home some cherry shrimp with guppies, platties, neon tetra, zebra danio, albino cory, and ottocinclus? I want to add some cherry shrimp into my tank but I'm completely new to them. I heard that they will eat the fry. Any info on these little guys would be cool.

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What size tank?
    Cherry shrimp will eat fry or vice versa?

3. EricV

EricVFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't worry about the shrimp eating fry but rather the fish eating the shrimp.

The platies guppies and danios are all more than capable of eating small shrimp and may harm adults as well.

4. I keep fish

I keep fishWell Known MemberMember

I've seen guppies eat smaller RCS. So I wouldn't personally do it.

5. OP
    OP
    KingD

KingDFishlore VIPMember

These are just some plans I have for my 55 gallon, havent started yet but I want to see if it will all work out okay without any lives being taken.

6. Blk69Valued MemberMember

Cherry shrimp to small for fish you listed. Can house togather but there will be some losses....just as nature intended. Suggest you keep a small extra tank to start your shrimp population. Could move the big ones into your large tank as they grow.

7. OP
    OP
    KingD

KingDFishlore VIPMember

So I should have a breeding colony of them in a smaller tank and put the bigger ones into my main tank? If thats the case, would a 5 gallon tank be sufficient? Also, if my tank has alot of plants or small places for the shrimp to hide, does that effect anything? Will there be a higher survival rate for either fry or shrimp?

8. EricV

EricVFishlore VIPMember

That might be your best bet for keeping them alive in your main tank but I wouldn't be surprised if even the adult shrimp were harassed by the fish.

Yes a 5 gallon tank is more than sufficient for a shrimp colony.

Well having lots of hiding places will increase the survival rate of the shrimp you'll also not see them very much. They'll spend their time hiding from the fish as they know they're at the bottom of the food chain.

And be careful what you wish for as far as livebearer fry surviving. :)

9. OP
    OP
    KingD

KingDFishlore VIPMember

Awesome! I think this is going to be a plan for my future tank set up, both the 55 and 5 gallon.

This will be something I am going to consider. I would like to have the shrimp more as a clean up crew then for my own viewing pleasures, but it would be nice to see them in the tank.

And I am aware of the reputation livebearers have haha my gupies are popping them out like crazy! I just let nature do what it does best. The guppy that do survive just stay in the tank

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice