Cherry Shrimp questions

UwUUsername

hopefully i will get a all female because i am not ready to care for 20-30 cherry shrimp and overstock my tank

otterblue

I know the answer to this one: java moss. :)

BlackOsprey

Subwassertang, pearlweed, guppy grass

UwUUsername

can they eat fish pellets?

grac3

they will eat anything, though it's better if you buy shrimp specific pellets

UwUUsername

Should i give cucumber to my shrimp????!

awilkinson871

Depends on the type of shrimp. Cherries tend to eat biofilm, amanos prefer algae. Some may go for blanched veggies or shrimp food but it may take them awhile until they figure it out.

kallililly1973

What kind do you have?

awilkinson871

Should i give cucumber to my shrimp????!
What kind of shrimp do you have? You can blanch some and try. If it doesn't eat it in 24 hours take it out so it doesn't foul the tank.

UwUUsername

if possible I need help on how to carpet my substrate with java moss for shrimps to hide in? Also I can plant in my substrate as long as its rhizome isnt buried right?

Cherry shrimp and ill get it out in 5 hours if i dont see my shrimp munching on it

awilkinson871

They usually eat biofilm so hopefully your tank has been running for a few months at least. The veggies and shrimp food can be added occasionally as a special treat.

otterblue

I know for hardscape you can use fishing wire. Just lay the moss on the driftwood or whatever and tie the wire around it. After a few weeks you can cut the wire off because the moss should adhere to the object. I just leave my wire on.

UwUUsername

How often do i have to feed em veggies and btw if my lfs doesnt want my cherry shrimp what do i do with it because they breed fast

awilkinson871

Java moss does not have a rhizome, you might be thinking of java fern. Java moss wont really grow as a carpeting plant. Many people just tuck it between rocks or glue/tie it to decor and let it spread.

UwUUsername

k thanks :D
also i meant anubias nana im planning to add anubias hehe

awilkinson871

Feeding is up to you. Shrimp can breed fast. If you have fish they may keep your population down. If not many people here sell them. You just have to be specific about the coloring and quality.

UwUUsername

3.5 gal cant add a fish UwU I hoped for a betta but its too smol

awilkinson871

java moss is better for shrimp. Shrimplets also love it for feeding. Anubias can be glued or tied to any decor. You can also bury the roots in the substrate but the rhizome has to be exposed to the water.

UwUUsername

Alright but im afraid the anubias will get enough nutrients so ill just get java moss and the moss ball

ruud

If they breed fast, then don't worry about feeding them...

GlennO

One of the best things about Cherry Shrimp is that there's very little that they won't eat so it's easy to give them lots of variety. As well as that, they eat biofilm and algae that just grows naturally on surfaces.

ProudPapa

hopefully i will get a all female because i am not ready to care for 20-30 cherry shrimp and overstock my tank

Thirty shrimp aren't any more trouble to take care of than five, and I doubt if 100 would be crowded in your tank, if there's enough hiding places.

UwUUsername

How many cherry shrimp can i stock on a 3.4 gal perm home

86 ssinit

10 would work. But read up on shrimp they are not easy. They need a well established tank with algae and bio-film. Expect to lose some. They can have problems when moved to a new tank. And if you succeed they will than reproduce and you could have a hundred in there.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
JLAquatics
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views
barbiespoodle