Cherry Shrimp Question

Pirate Queen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi everyone!!
Although I have had saltwater and seahorse aquariums in the past I'm a newbie with freshwater ( goldfish as a child bit that's about it!)
I'm getting a secondhand 25 gallon tank tomorrow so I'm just in the planning stage atm. I've been reading up on cherry shrimp and would like to have them ( once its cycled obviously). My question is that I like both the red and yellow varieties but it is advised not too have both due to interbreeding, BUT does this really matter?
Thank you in advance.

Tabascopanda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
it only matters if you don't possibly want non red or yellow shrimp. if you don't care that color variations or "mud color" shrimp start showing up then go ahead.

firestorm1522

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It only matters if you want to keep the shrimp with red or yellow coloring only. As time goes on the newer generations will become more brown and not as pretty.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi everyone!!
Although I have had saltwater and seahorse aquariums in the past I'm a newbie with freshwater ( goldfish as a child bit that's about it!)
I'm getting a secondhand 25 gallon tank tomorrow so I'm just in the planning stage atm. I've been reading up on cherry shrimp and would like to have them ( once its cycled obviously). My question is that I like both the red and yellow varieties but it is advised not too have both due to interbreeding, BUT does this really matter?
Thank you in advance.
I'm so jealous, you've kept seahorses!!! :0 I'll have to get into saltwater tanks...

But to your question: RCS will reproduce in your tank BUT if you have more than one strain they will interested and you'll get a bunch of "wild" (brown) shrimp. So no, it doesn't matter in that your tank will still be healthy, but your shrimps won't be the pretty colors that you buy after a few generations.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They will interbreed but you can get other non neo shrimp which wont.

Pirate Queen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Th
I'm so jealous, you've kept seahorses!!! :0 I'll have to get into saltwater tanks...

But to your question: RCS will reproduce in your tank BUT if you have more than one strain they will interested and you'll get a bunch of "wild" (brown) shrimp. So no, it doesn't matter in that your tank will still be healthy, but your shrimps won't be the pretty colors that you buy after a few generations.
Thank you! Yep the seahorses were great but sourcing live brine shrimp was sometimes a pain!

Thank you everyone for your quick replies. Hmmmm, brown shrimp, I'll have a good think about it first, at least I have plenty of time whilst the tank cycles

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could go yellow with neo shrimp and red with cardina so they cant interbreed. If you want brown ones as well you probably could do ghost shrimp.

Pirate Queen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could go yellow with neo shrimp and red with cardina so they cant interbreed. If you want brown ones as well you probably could do ghost shrimp.
Thank you, I'll do some more research whilst I'm waiting.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a tank setup right now just letting it mature with plants and snails till finances settle a little. Lol. Im thinking of doing something quite similar but cant decide if i want blue or black shrimp. Wife wants red ones so of course i will have to have red ones too. Lol. Also haven't decided if im going seed shrimp, neo and cardina or neo to ghost shrimp. Lol

Pirate Queen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a tank setup right now just letting it mature with plants and snails till finances settle a little. Lol. Im thinking of doing something quite similar but cant decide if i want blue or black shrimp. Wife wants red ones so of course i will have to have red ones too. Lol. Also haven't decided if im going seed shrimp, neo and cardina or neo to ghost shrimp. Lol
The dreaded finances!!!! As I'm just planning atm the options are endless unfortunately my budget isn't lol!!

Paradise fish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could do this:

You can keep both shrimp colors, but only males of one color. For example, cherry shrimp females, yellow shrimp females, but only yellow shrimp males. That way, the offsprings of the yellow shrimp will stay yellow and only the cherry shrimp may give birth to mixed culls. Also, I'm pretty sure that yellow shrimp were breed from selectively breeding cherries.

Kyleaz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
what are you feeding your shrimp? I tried the zucchini and they didn't like it. Other wise I feed them shrimp food.
Kyleaz

Pirate Queen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could do this:

You can keep both shrimp colors, but only males of one color. For example, cherry shrimp females, yellow shrimp females, but only yellow shrimp males. That way, the offsprings of the yellow shrimp will stay yellow and only the cherry shrimp may give birth to mixed culls. Also, I'm pretty sure that yellow shrimp were breed from selectively breeding cherries.
That's a great idea!!! Thank you so much.

Kyleaz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Help, I can't get my shrimp to eat. I have tried both blanched spinach and blanched zuchinni they don't go near it so I keep feeding them their shrimp pellets
Kyleaz

Pirate Queen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Help, I can't get my shrimp to eat. I have tried both blanched spinach and blanched zuchinni they don't go near it so I keep feeding them their shrimp pellets
Kyleaz
Hi Kyleaz,
I don't actually have any yet as I'm just planning my new tank! Maybe start a new post, I'm sure someone will answer!

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What about the yellow neos and some tiger shrimp, they're quite lovely. Look at caridina species of shrimp. Plantetinverts.com has a great list of many different species.

Pirate Queen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What about the yellow neos and some tiger shrimp, they're quite lovely. Look at caridina species of shrimp. Plantetinverts.com has a great list of many different species.
Thank you, I'll do some reading!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom