cherry shrimp problems

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by shadowfish, Aug 10, 2015.

1. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

i have now planted my ten gallon tank and gotten 5 cherry shrimp,tank mates are 2 guppies and 2 julli corys (i know,i know,but the corys seem happy).4 cherrys died in a few days 1 male left and the other is gone (prob died and was eaten) 2 where females with eggs.one died with eggs and the other died after her eggs hatched now i have 8 small shrimp from those eggs in a small cave like thing thats under water a little under an inch where the intake tube goes into my filter.
    how fast will they grow?
    my fish will eat the small ones if they find them,right?
    i have a 5-15gallon filter will the be sucked in or can they swim strong i never saw the babys swim or do they just crawl when there small?i tried the fine netting sock thing over the filter intake but it was so fine it plugged up.

2. leftswerveWell Known MemberMember

For your filter intake, I use these, they come in a 2 pack, pull out the carbon and slip it on.

3. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Cherry shrimp take a few months to get to adult size, I believe it's 3 months or so. The guppies MIGHT eat the baby shrimp. I would rehome the julli corycats or move them to a different tank, a 10 gallon is not big enough for corycats IMO. They are schooling/shoaling fish and need a larger tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  4. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

this is off subject a bit but whats the min tank size for jullis?will the corys eat shrimp?the one cory ate my dead one but i dont know about live shrimp.

5. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Nope they won't eat shrimp. Probably Trilineatus instead of Julii btw

6. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

i think your right about Trilineatus,thanks.i looked them up and care sheets say they eat live daphnia so whould a baby shrimp not look the same to the cory??

7. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Could be they ate one or two of the hundreds I had. Think they are too fast

8. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

any other ideas on covering the intake on the filter?

9. el337Fishlore LegendMember

10. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

im using cheese cloth now till i get something else.no more worrys about guppies eating baby shrimp i moved them after i saw one eat a cory egg.
    are baby cherrys red or whitish when a few days old normally?

11. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Most baby shrimp are a little transparent. They aren't fully red, until they start to mature. But it also depends on the grading of the cherry shrimp I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

12. EricVFishlore VIPMember

It depends. It's partially genetics, partially diet, and some random luck when it comes to the color of baby shrimp. Some are essentially clear while some have a fair amount of red right from the beginning. While high grade parents will produce a higher ratio of red babies it doesn't always correlate to their adult coloration.

There are plenty of times I've culled a clear looking baby from the main colony only to have it grow up into a PFR as well as times I've started small groups from the reddest babies only to have some underwhelming adults show up in the mix.

13. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

what are the color kinds?and what is the most common color?and are different colors different kind shrimp?im talking adult shrimp here.

14. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

15. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

thanks,my female with the eggs was (high fire red) or (painted red)
    are male cherry shrimp not lighter in color than female shrimp?
    if they are then are the shrimp in that link male or female?
    oh,and my one shrimp left looks like sakura

16. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

are males lighter in color than female shrimp?

17. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

yeah usually males are lighter than the females.

18. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

so does this not mess with grading?if you get all painted shrimp then the chances of getting a male is slim right? im trying to figure this out

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice