Cherry Shrimp Population

jkraz

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to the forum. I have a 20 gallon high freshwater tank with 7 Rummy-nose Tetras, 2 Celestial Pearl Danios, 2 Brass Tetras, 1 geriatric Serpae Tetra and 1 Agassizi Cory. I wanted to add 1 Cherry Shrimp to watch, so I ordered one, but received two...yes, you guessed it, a male and a female. I had not wanted to breed them, and actually found out that they're not legal in my state. This morning, I found at least 10 baby shrimp in the tank and the female is berried again. I caught as many of the babies as I could and put them in a floating breeder container. I captured "Mom" and put her in the breeder as well, until I can figure out what to do. If I keep them and allow them to breed, will they eventually overrun the aquarium and trash the water quality for the fish? Or are they somewhat self-limiting in terms of numbers?
Is there anyone on the forum who would like to take them off my hands? The two adults are both deeply and nearly uniformly red.
HELP PLEASE!

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Watching with interest...

Welcome! I'm new to cherry shrimp so curious what others will say...

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cherry shrimp are fairly prolific breeders given the right conditions, so in a way you should be glad your tank is suitable for breeding .

If your only concern is overpopulation and resulting water quality I can tell you RCS tend to reach a certain population limit either due to lack of food, lack of space, or predation by tankmates. Shrimp in general tend to have a very low bioload because they eat bits of leftover food andbreak it down into forms that are more easily used by plants, so they will not trash the water quality by themselves.

jkraz

Reaction score
Thanks for answering my question so promptly. I'm still a little chicken to release mom and kids back into the tank, but am considering it. I just keep seeing visions of piles of shrimp in the tank...like the biomass of king crabs on The Deadliest Catch.
My other concern is the fact that they're not legal in my state, so selling them on Craig's list could be a problem.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes they should not over run your tank. But the waste load I find is a lot. Yes it’s not like fish waste I have very little change in the water (ammonia,nitrite,nitrate). But there is still tons of waste in my shrimp only tank. I do a 30% vacuum weekly. I also have shrimp in 2 community tanks and the problem is not as bad. I find the fish eat most of the shrimplets. So there’s allways a food source in the tank. Your fish will eat most of the shrimplets.

jkraz

Reaction score
Thanks so much. I'm going to release the shrimpies back into the tank.

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Next week in your tank...
shrimp.gif

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with the lads above put mom and young back in and leave them to get on with it, what intrigues me more is why these are illegal in your state, they've not Been mixed up with cpo what state are you in

ETNsilverstar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think everyone else has things pretty well covered, but I know there's lots of us on here who would happily take them off your hands. Once you get access to the buy/sell/trade section of the forum, you can post them for sale there, even if you're just wanting to get rid of the extras.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thequietman44 said:
Next week in your tank...
That's what I like to see, definitely shrimp being kept at their best

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
richie.p said:
I agree with the lads above put mom and young back in and leave them to get on with it, what intrigues me more is why these are illegal in your state, they've not Been mixed up with cpo what state are you in
I swear that they are illegal in Maine. It's due to being an exotic animal, and requiring evidence to support they will not endanger local wildlife. Which is absurd, since its practically Canada at that point and very few shrimp are going to survive during winter.

Here's one link

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aussieJJDude said:
I swear that they are illegal in Maine. It's due to being an exotic animal, and requiring evidence to support they will not endanger local wildlife. Which is absurd, since its practically Canada at that point and very few shrimp are going to survive during winter.
Please I don't doubt you for a second I I'm from uk I wonder why

Here's one link
Please I don't doubt you for a second I I'm from uk I just wonder why

jkraz

Reaction score
Here's the link to maine.gov with the regulations regarding captive fish and wildlife. Scroll down to the "Unrestricted" list and click that link. Species on the unrestricted list are legal. Any species not on the list are prohibited without a permit.
Maine's pristine waters are responsible for a sizeable percentage of the state's economy. The Departments of Inland Fish and Wildlife and Marine Resources have concerns, not simply about the potential of imported species to survive in the wild as invasives, but also concerns about importation of animals infected with or shipping materials contaminated with parasites, bacterial and viral species etc, which could endanger the state's endemic species. In order for a species be added to the Unrestricted List, studies must be completed proving that the species does not represent a risk.

https://www.maine.gov/IFW/fish-wildlife/captivity.html

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IRT to RCS not being legal in Maine. Sounds like AOC moved from NY to Maine. How stupid laws like this on the books is just crazy. I have never heard of RCS or any other hobby shrimp causing issues in the local environment. If they are legal in neighboring states it’s even dumber.
My question is how did you get the two in the first place?

ETNsilverstar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
tjander said:
IRT to RCS not being legal in Maine. Sounds like AOC moved from NY to Maine. How stupid laws like this on the books is just crazy. I have never heard of RCS or any other hobby shrimp causing issues in the local environment. If they are legal in neighboring states it’s even dumber.
My question is how did you get the two in the first place?
The only real way to stop it is for the shipper or receiver to know they're not legal, and the shipper can choose to not ship or the receiver can just not order in the first place. If no one knows, it's not like the mail is going to check the package and see if it's legal.

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
im just wondering how much you paid for shipping for only two shrimps lol.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My understanding of the law is the seller has the responsibility to know if shipping a prohibited species into a state is legal.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom