Cherry Shrimp PH acclimation

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Blk69, Jul 30, 2015.

1. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

Quick question. Got some Cherry Shrimp today. Have had them on a drip for 1.45 hours. Just for fun thought I would check PH levels. It looks like the LFS PH was 7.8, the bag holding the shrimp (that received the drip) is at 8.2 and my tank test somewhere between 8.2 and 8.4 (really hard to tell, thought my tank was 8.2 by test kit water slightly more purple that what my drip/bag water is testing).

My question is am I good to put the shrimp in the tank or do I need to drip longer?

2. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

If what's currently in the bag is 8.2 and your tank is 8.2, then the shrimp are ready to go in. :) even if your tank is 8.4 that's fine.
    Now, is such a high pH okay for cherry shrimp? I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    B

I guess we are going to find out......

4. kidster9700

EricV breeds shrimp. He would know.

5. OP
    OP
    B

Hey, think I many have screwed up. I asked for two red shrimp and one clear. As soon as the shrimp hit my water the two clear turned black. Are these all Cherry Shrimp?

6. kidster9700

Black???? That's really bizarre... I've never seen cherries turn black... But EricV knows wayyyyyy more about them.

7. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Do you have a picture of them?

Your ph should be fine for them since you acclimated them so well.

8. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

9. OP
    OP
    B

Here one pic. The other shrimp is more black

10. OP
    OP
    B

Here is another shot of this guy. Like I said the other one was completely black.

11. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Could be some sort of stress response. I've seen some very dark shrimp come out of shipping boxes and then return to normal coloration as they adjust. Are they still discolored?

8.4 is a really high ph for them but they're usually quite adaptable.

12. OP
    OP
    B

Yes, their still black this morning. Using my water test kit, the high PH liquid (burgundy color) really does not change when added to my water sample. 8.4 PH on my color chart is light purple. I'm defiantly burgundy, but as I was watching the PH in the shrimp bag go up (drip from tank) it was definitely a lighter shade of red (matching my 8.2 PH on color chart). That's were I came up with the 8.3 value.

Really don't know what is driving my PH up (7.8 out of tap). Have regular stone gravel substrate (river rock not ever sure it is colored) a couple plastic plants and my plastic drift wood. Just added a live plant....not sure it this will effect the PH?

13. CindiL

My ph is 8.2 or so and my shrimp are all doing great, in fact a couple of them have gotten really big. Are you sure they were supposed to be cherry shrimp? They kind of look like ghost shrimp from the pics and they can be a darker color. Were they a bright red when you picked them out?

14. OP
    OP
    B

I asked the LFS to give me two red and one clear (thought males were clear, females red). They through in another clear. As soon as they hit my gravel the clear ones turned black. Saw a red one last night so they are staying red.

15. OP
    OP
    B

My shrimp are ether dead or hiding. Have not seen a hint of one for the last few days. Not sure.....

16. CindiL

You'd find the bodies. I found the cherries were very very shy and rarely came out where the ghosts are out all day in my tank.

17. OP
    OP
    B

Did you cherries come out more as they got bigger?

18. CindiL

I only had a few so maybe if you have a bunch then in numbers they will become more daring to be out in the open.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice