Cherry shrimp molting problems

andy65

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got 6 Cherry shrimp. I have had 2 die on me and its ALWAYS after they molt.
I find a case and then there bodies.

What is wrong?

EDIT. They are in a breeder net in a cycled tank. The was it PERFECT no Am or all that jazz.
I have thought about putting in some iodine in the tank that will be there home after its cycled. They where a bit to small to go in my 10 gallon with my other fish and shrimp, so I am letting them grow a bit before I put then in it.

purple_phoenix

Reaction score
When they shed their exoskeleton, the body left exposed is very soft. Until they grow back, they are very vulnerable. I don't have any experience with cherry shrimps, but from what I've heard the deaths could be due to water parametres, temperature, or because other fish pick on them after they moult.

Ammonia and nitrite should be 0, but cherry shrimps are very hardy, so unless water parametres are way too high, it's unlikely that this is the problem. Temperature should be about 25-27 degrees.

What other fish do you have in the tank? It's a good idea to add a small 'cave' to your tank (I've made these by cracking a flowerpot in half) which is big enough for your shrimp to hide in, but small enough to keep other fish out.

I'm sure someone else with more experience than me will come and add more soon. Good luck with them

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
Cherry are sensitive to water conditions. As purple_phoenix stated 0 ammonia and nitrite, but just as important, nitrate has to be down around 5, if it gets up to 10 you have to do water changes.

They "graze" all the time, so I don't really think a breeding net is the most ideal way to keep them. If you have them in a tank with fish that would eat them, I can see your point, but it may be that they will need to be placed in their new home asap if you are to have any survivors.

They can not have any chemicals used in the tank, especially copper.

What are you feeding them?

OP
andy65

andy65

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I feed then Omega One veggy rounds and some BBS that I had.
Water conditions are fine. Our water pipes are copper. Would that do anything? They are fine,its just when ever one Molts it dies every time. That is how I lost they other and then one today. There is just a Platy fry in the net with them.

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
Well I have mine in a tank WITH platties! There is lots of java moss, coral, shells rocks driftwood, places for the shrimp to hide and get away from the fish, but like I said you HAVE to keep the nitrates down.

Most people don't maintain their tanks at 5 nitrates, if you want to keep shrimp you will have to.

The reason I asked about the food, I have heard some suggest using food for crabs, and I have never found one that didn't contain copper so these really aren't good food for shrimp.

All I can say is that the molting is a growing process. The relationship to this and the shrimp dieing is not clear since they are not in with fish. UNLESS the fry are finding them easy prey. Is there any way you could put some java moss in the breeding net with them to give them some place to hide?

MrWaxhead

Reaction score
Calcium and iodine are also very important to a shrimp during a molt for fast and healthy regrowth of there shells. I have heard of some people using reef iodine of a half dose every two weeks, I have never used it personally. Also it is best to leave the molted shell in the tank, the shrimp will pick at and feed off the exoskeleton and reabsorb the nutrients to aid in regrowth.

And all other advice is great, shrimp do not like bad water or hard metals in the least and can kill them very fast, especially during there weakened state of a molt. And they are as others said in a state or softness and predation at this point and lots of good cover is crucial for them to hide if they feel the need too.

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
Andy, I'm sorry you are getting ticked. We have been trying to give you good advice.

If you will do enough water changes to get your nitrates down it might make a difference.

It would also be a good idea to take the other advice given about iodine and calcium.

When I bought my RCS I got 25, within the first 2 weeks I had lost about 10 of them, but the ones that remained have multiplied and I now have over 500, with LOTS of females carrying eggs.

The only thing I can say is that you will have to give the shrimp the conditions they need, if you want them to prosper.

OP
andy65

andy65

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You guys have have GREAT advice.
I will be moving the last 3 of my shrimp to my 10 gallon tomorrow. I just hope that my Cories don't eat.as they did to my 3 ghost shrimp. I don't think that the water is killing them,its something else and not the baby fry in the net with them. We will see if that helps, if not I will just stick to fish and no $$$$ Inverts.

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
Everyone has a different set of circumstances...which is why I cram my RCS in with fish, lots of java moss, and I DON'T use any calcium or iodine....I have read about it but found for my tank a good size chunk of coral rock.....it was in my LFS and when I saw it things just clicked in my head that it would be a good thing to naturally give my shrimp the calcium they needed....

Between that and the sea shells in the tank the ph is up around 7.8 or a little higher now maybe......that was what it was the last time I checked......my normal is 7.4 in all the other tanks.

This is my favorite tank and I admit I fuss with it a lot. Every day I do a 25-50% water change.....for the shrimp, but also for the fry that I grow out in that tank.

Andy, don't give up......even if there are things that have to be worked out, it really is quite rewarding. I admit every day I spend about 30 trips to that tank to look on. I feel like a voyer looking into another world. It is so alive with movement, and busy work!

New Threads