Cherry Shrimp? Maybe Wild? Amano? I Think One Is Cherry.

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by LaTulip, Jul 17, 2019.

1. LaTulip

LaTulipValued MemberMember

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg We cleaned out our canister filter yesterday and notice quite a few Neocaridina living in it... great Pain in the butt to put ‘en back in the tank, but at least I know our tank, and canister, and doing well.

We are new to this so I noticed that one of the shrimp has a color I’ve never seen. And another, I’m not sure if it’s an Amano or Ghost. Can anyone help identifying these? I thought the yellowish was an Amano, but he’s rather yellow.

We also have another very large Neocaridina, I think is a cherry but it’s kind of orange. Again, any help identifying these guys is appreciated.

2. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

You have 1 ghost in there the other 2 are cherry the greenish colour is a female, what is you intake like on the filter can you show a picture

3. OP
    OP
    LaTulip

2FCD9A86-EAF3-4648-A5FC-7FE2A0D8BEC6.jpeg
    I hope you can see the set up. The intake opening are rather large. But I have no idea what to do about that. I’ve even gone on YouTube but I feel like I might do something wrong and hurt the little guys. Oh, and our canister... we have an FX4.

4. richie.p

This is my fx4 intake, all you need to do put a clean unused stocking around the intake and problem solved

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    LaTulip

*VIRTUAL HUG*

Thank you so much! Ugh! I guess common sense is not so common! Haha! You’re brilliant! I literally screamed with excitement over a silly sock! :p

6. richie.p

Never had a virtual hug before thanks, the stocking is held on with a cable tie you can see it on the small tube

7. OP
    OP
    LaTulip

Same as a zip tie right? Tomato tomato?

8. richie.p

Yes you got it simple when you know

9. OP
    OP
    LaTulip

Just told me husband and he too is pretty stoked about the sock! Thanks! So we have a Ghost Sheimp - we thought we lost all of those. We got those back in March and then they all dropped because we knew nothing. So we have a survivor! Awesome! Thanks a million!

10. richie.p

And a Medal keep asking the questions

11. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Another option is to put a sponge over the intake. It will become another place for bacteria to grow and actually keep your filter cleaner. Also the shrimp love to eat whatever is on it. E76E94A1-AE23-49C1-ABC9-857E280DEF3D.jpeg

12. richie.p

Cant be done in the fx4 4he intake is huge I already looked at that option would have been nice if it bould be done

13. OP
    OP
    LaTulip

Just found this little guy. I think he is some sort blue. But he looks really black. Any ideas? 163BE234-4EA9-4288-BB87-7FAA2FC9C453.jpegE7D8E0C8-2233-41C2-AA4E-0082B7121E36.jpeg

14. richie.p

Hes is a blue, maybe a blue diamond going to blue dream, or the other line goes to black rose, ether way it wont go any further unless theres more of them in there

15. OP
    OP
    LaTulip

I recently purchased a blue diamond from my fav LFS. So there are 2 other blues in there for sure. I will have initiate MTS and put them in my home office! #BESTDAYEVER

Thanks!

16. richie.p

If that's as I thought they will go to blue dream if they dont cross but you have a nice mix they will all cross except the ghost and some nice colours come out until the wild brown show

17. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Amazing how these guys survive. When was the last time you cleaned the filter? As Richie said if left together they will turn brown. Even reds the shrimplets come in as browns. When they do I throw them into other tanks. Sorry but as food. Funny thing is lots of these guy survive. Amazing how resilient they are.
    Richie for the fx4 I put the sponge inside that big inlet cage. First I used a fine sponge but it clogged up. Now I use a corse sponge. Been working well for the last month.

18. richie.p

How any of these get past the impeller is beyond me the impeller in the fx4 would power a boat

19. OP
    OP
    LaTulip

is that like the chocolate ones? Or the translucent greenish brownish ones? I mean, I love how cool they are but I’m not sure how get all these guys out of a 75 gal safely. Maybe I’ll just leave them and start a separate tank in the home office

20. richie.p

Yes your on the right track with chocolate, if you start a shrimp tank then this one could house your culls and also use some existing shrimp to put new blood into what you get if they are the same colour, with the ones you got now you will get a few nice colours pop up

21. OP
    OP
    LaTulip

I appreciate your help. I need to do some research on where to start. I want my shrimp tank in my office because there is more natural light which I’m thinking may help with other things. But that’s for a different thread :) Thanks again!