Cherry shrimp keep Dying

richiep

.50 ammonia is a definite killer with shrimp how's it up there using ro water
Is the tank cycled also how is your ph8 that should be neutral or 7ish

Nize69

I just started using ro water like a couple weeks ago I’ve been doing about a 20% water changes so I don’t start a recycle
I just started using ro water like a couple weeks ago I’ve been doing about a 20% water changes so I don’t start a recycle

Attachments

• 46334D48-1555-4D1F-8A63-2F9C12C06879.jpeg
    46334D48-1555-4D1F-8A63-2F9C12C06879.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 25

richiep

That ammonia is coming from somewhere and eill kill all your shrimp
Doing 20% should have dropped things
Hoe longs the tank been running let's have a photo as well please

Nize69

The tank has been running for a couple years so it’s fully cycled
Also I’ve been mixing the shrimp salts to about 200-225 tds is that to high for cherrys?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 33

Cherryshrimp420

Any ammonia is bad, just ask yourself where the ammonia is coming from and reduce the source. This can be food, ferts, organic soil, tap water etc etc.

The TDS is fine

Nize69

Any ammonia is bad, just ask yourself where the ammonia is coming from and reduce the source. This can be food, ferts, organic soil, tap water etc etc.

The TDS is fine
[/QUOT

The TDS is fine
only thing I can think of is I’m over feeding how often should I feed I think I have around 10 shrimp in a 20g tank
only thing I can think of is I’m over feeding how often should I feed I think I have around 10 shrimp in a 20g tank

Cherryshrimp420

You don't have to feed them at all. Maybe some quality shrimp food once every 2 days

Debbie1986

JMO - Stop using RO water, it's demineralized water

you need minerals in your tank for the animals

Nize69

I am remineralizing with salty shrimp gh+ for neos my tds is around 200-220

Debbie1986

that's a huge tank for shrimp- what is stocked in it?

I think it'd be hard to overfeed that tank.

Is it only the shrimp?
maybe the bio-load is just too low?

my 1 sorierity 20 long tank went south after being live 2 months because the fertilizer tablets became too much. I had to vaccum out as much of it out as I could last year. so yeah fertilizers can really mess it up. but your 20 gallon which looks under-stocked, you'd have to have a really heavy hand with food and./or ferts.

just me, I'd dose with Seachem Prime every 2 days until I figured it out since shrimp are super sensitive
I'd add snails for more bio-load to keep cycle going
But sorry, I still don't get the attraction to RO water.

IMO - you're literally fighting millions of years of evolution of freshwater animals by removing the minerals and then adding back different doses.

I'm reading Salty Shrimps remineralizer , but it says nothing about magnesium and calcium both are removed by the RO process.

'... with all the essential minerals and trace elements via the water'

it says this but then doesn't list what it adds.

well, i found this:

Calcium and magnesium use in aquaculture « Global Aquaculture Advocate

In some inland, low-salinity waters, low magnesium concentrations have been reported to lessen the survival and growth of shrimp. Magnesium concentrations in such waters can be increased by the application of potassium magnesium sulfate. Magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) also is a soluble source of magnesium.

I'd look into if your brand of reminieralizer added magnesium back in.

AvaTheFish

Also, if the dead shrimps are in the tank too long, they could be the ones releasing amonia too.... idk, this is a tough one.

Nize69

I do have ramshorn and mts in the tank don’t think the dead shrimp is the cause cuz I found the snails eating the body

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Nize69
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
  • Question
Replies
Views
Nize69
  • Question