Cherry Shrimp Increased Hiding/huddling Together

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Dori.anne, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Dori.anne

Dori.anneValued MemberMember

2 weeks ago I got 6 RCS (3 female, 3 male). For the first week they were pretty active and out and about the tank. While they would hide, I could usually see at least 3 around the tank at a time. 3 days after I got them at least a couple molted. At least one female was already berried when I got them. By the end of the first week all 3 were berried and could be often seen fanning their eggs around the tank.

One week ago I added 3 celestial pearl danios to the tank (wanted more but got the last 3 at LFS). Over the week since the introduction of the fish, the RCS have become more reclusive and less active. The last couple of days I noticed several hiding together under the sponge filter. I rarely see them any more on any of the plants. I haven't seen more than 4 at a time, but I also haven't seen any dead ones. Friday I saw 1 tiny shrimplet when I moved the sponge filter slightly (it quickly swam away and I haven't seen any since). I also saw another full exoskeleton in one of the ornaments, so somebody molted. The ones that hang out under the sponge don't seem to be moving much under there. But they disappear and then reappear later.

Do you think the shrimp are stressed out by the addition of the CPDs? Most of the shrimp are at least as big as the CPDs. Its possible the CPDs are eating baby shrimp, which is fine. I haven't seen the CPD bother, chase or otherwise pay attention to the shrimp.

My plan was to get more CPDs today to up their numbers to 6-8. However, I'm wondering if I should wait a while if the RCS are stressed out.

Any thoughts?

Tank parameters:
    10 gallon moderately planted with several ornaments
    2 nerite snails, 6 RCS (as far as I know) and 3 CPDs
    temp: 76
    ph: 7.8
    ammon: 0
    nitrites: 0
    nitrates: 5
    KH: 80
    GH 180

2. Kasshan

KasshanWell Known MemberMember

i have 23g cherry only tank, they play like fairies because nothing wants to kill or eat them. they will jump on my arm hairs if i stick my hand in, no fear. the culled shrimp ive thrown other tanks are fairies too, but more like elusive leprechauns always hiding from predators. your shrimp are being instinctual because fish will naturally cause them anxiety

3. OP
    OP
    Dori.anne

Yes, last week they were like fairies! Which makes me sad now to see them crowding under the sponge. The other thing I forgot to mention is that the sponge filter is new to the tank. Previously I just had the HOB filter (with sponge on intake), but when I added the fish I added this sponge filter from a cycled tank. Maybe the shrimp just really like the sponge?

Do you think it would make a difference if I wait a little while to get more CPDs? I know my 3 CPDs would appreciate more of their kind (though they are doing well so far). But don't want to over stress the shrimp.

4. Bettanewb

BettanewbWell Known MemberMember

I find my adult RCS are always around going from plant to plant but they have also realized now that no one in the tank will eat them mostly because they're to big. Give it time they may come out of hiding.

5. FishRFriendz

FishRFriendzWell Known MemberMember

I have CPDs, and RCS. The RCS swim around, climbing walls and crawling all over everything regardless of the CPDs. I'll have to take a pic of feeding time lol it's fun to see them all over the java moss ball.

01e6b15c38a6d9ee2dc8056f2e7d88fb70bf5bdd59.jpg

6. OP
    OP
    Dori.anne

Beautiful picture. Your CPD looks brilliant! I can't ever get a clear picture they dart around so fast.

A couple of the shrimp were out and more visible today. I also saw two tiny babies on the sponge filter today.

7. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Won't the CPD eventually get big enough to eat your adult RCS?

8. OP
    OP
    Dori.anne

I doubt it. They usually only get about 2 cm or 3/4 inch full grown. I've heard from several people who keep them together. But, only time will tell so we'll see.

Shrimp were around the tank more today, however I'm a little worried because one of them has the "white line of death" around his middle that I've heard about and I'm afraid he is having a hard time molting. He was still alive, but very inactive on top of the sponge. Crossing my fingers he is just in the process of molting, but he was like that all evening. This tank is at work, so I'll see tomorrow.
    My concern is that my gh might be a little too high at 180. Also, I fed the CPDs frozen brine shrimp a couple times this week, and I saw the shrimp eating the leftovers (still experimenting with how much CPDs eat and how small a frozen chunk to break off). I read that a high protein diet could contribute to molting problems. I'm concerned the shrimp may have eaten too much brine shrimp and grew too fast this week.
    Sigh. I'm a worrier.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  9. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Interesting I saw an article that stated Pearl Danios get between 2 and 2.5 inches long... I don't know I have never kept them.
    IRT your GH I run mine much higher 200+ range in my shrimp only tank and have zero problem molting.
    I often feed my shrimp shrimp bites along with algae wafers... again, I am unsure of the protein effect on molts.

10. OP
    OP
    Dori.anne

Ah, I see the confusion. Celestial Pearl Danios are a different fish from Pearl Danios. CPDs are Danio margaritatus (used to be called Galaxy Rasboras) and are tiny things.
    They are at the library where I work, and we've taken to leaving a magnifying glass (that we have for people who need it for reading) by the tank, . You can see them fine without it, but they look very cool with the magnifying glass!

Also, glad to hear yours do well in high gh. Do you ever see your shrimp with a white belt while molting?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  11. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

I have never paid much attention to markings on them while they molt.. I have not lost a shrimp in a long time, though it's hard to keep track. I suck at playing the count the shrimp game...

12. OP
    OP
    Dori.anne

Unfortunately, the shrimp with the white belt was found dead this morning :(
    Here's a picture:
    ddb64f152ab6c7303b4d1681978a82fc.jpg

I'm not sure why it had trouble molting.
    My water parameters are:
    Amm: 0
    nitrite: 0
    nitrates: 5
    Ph 7.8
    gh 180
    kh 80-120
    temp 75

FYI I am using test strips for the gh and kh, because I haven't been able to find the liquid tests anywhere near me. So those might not be accurate.
    I do occasionally add a small piece of cuttlebone to the water. Added another one the other day when I noticed this shrimp had the white line.

Any other suggestions?

13. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

I always keep cuttlebone in my tank. You mentioned occasionally does that imply that you remove it and put it back?
    Are you putting the bone in the tank with the shrimp or the filter?
    Cuttlebone turned my shrimp keeping around. I used to have more die then live until I added it now I might get a death once in two months.

14. OP
    OP
    Dori.anne

When I got my 2nd nerite snail and found a small crack in its shell, I added a piece of cuttlebone. Basically I just broke off a small piece of the bone (maybe 1 sq. in) and dropped it right into the water. That was about a little over 6 weeks ago. Probably about 3 weeks ago I added another small piece when I couldn't find the first one (thought maybe it dissolved, though it could have just been buried). The other day when the shrimp looked to be having a hard time molting I added another, bigger, piece of the bone to the water. It's still floating over the sponge filter right by the bubbles. I'm not sure why i didn't just put the whole bone in. I think I was concerned about making my hard water much harder. It's also just a 10 gallon. I'm sure it was too late for the calcium to help this one that was already trying to molt. Or possibly it did just overeat on leftover brine shrimp, grew too fast, and got stuck.

Do you think it's better to put the cuttlebone in the filter, or just in the tank? Should I put in the whole bone instead of just pieces?

15. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

I have heard of people doing both. My understanding is the bone dissolves as it is needed. So based on that, I put the entire bone in the tank. I found my whisker shrimp and Cherry shrimp will go and pick on it. Not sure if they are eating it or just picking on it.
    Long story short I put it in the tank and I put the entire bone in I get a piece about 4 inches long.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice