Cherry Shrimp In A 10gal.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Themaniac19, Apr 17, 2017.

1. T

Themaniac19 Valued Member Member

A have a few questions about these guys. First, how many could I keep in a 10gal. I've read up to 300. Also, what's the best food for these guys?

2. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

300????? please dont do that. I would recommend 20. Is ur tank cycled bc shrimp need an established tank (biofilm) that is at least 3 months old.

3. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

get about 6-8 and they will reproduce about once a month
    keep in mind the inbreeding rule~ if you have x organisms, it'll take them x/2 generations to be forced to inbreed (so for 6, 3 generations)
    for food you can get sinking shrimp pellets, fish food, algae wafers, blanched veggies, brine shrimp, decaying plant matter
    you can also supplement with chola wood and cuttlefish shells
    a good population would be about 100-175 , or about 10-16 shrimps per gallon, for 300 you will need a superpowerful filter and more frequent water changes and lots of food
    but they like jungle type aquariums so you need mosses, ferns, anubias', and banana lillies to provide a lot of cover, so who knows just how many of them are even in there, just don't use co2

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would start with 10 or so. They'll breed to stock the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    T

Thanks. I also read that they're good with room temperature, about 70f to 72f. Is this correct?

6. TexasDomer

Yes, that's correct. And you can use CO2 with shrimp.

7. OP
    OP
    T

That's what I'm planning on doing. A guy near me is selling them for $3, and I reckon I can talk him down to 10/$20.

8. OP
    OP
    T

I think he was saying not to use it because the dense population will be increasing the concentration to a dangerous level.

9. TexasDomer

I'm not sure what you mean by this. You can inject shrimp tanks with CO2, even with dense populations of shrimp.

10. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Here is a link to an article I put together on getting started with freshwater shrimp...

Freshwater Shrimp Keeping

It's also in the "Member Articles" section if the link doesn't work (sometimes mobile app has issues)

11. OP
    OP
    T

CO2 binds to hemoglobin molecules and it takes energy (ATP) and time to rid them of it. If they can't do it in time they'll die. Pretty much how people die of carbon monoxide poisoning, except in a much faster time since it has a stronger bond (triple instead of double I believe). With so many shrimp there will be a ton of CO2 in the water already.

[Edit]
    Shrimp don't have hemoglobin, but the function and chemical should be quite similar.

12. TexasDomer

I understand CO2 poisoning; I don't think it's a bigger concern here than it would be in a tank with fish in it though.

You can still inject CO2, you'll just need to make sure you don't put too much in to kill the shrimp. But the same is true no matter what you keep in the tank, either fish or shrimp or other inverts. I don't think the shrimp will produce so much CO2 that it's a serious threat.

13. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

@TexasDomer is correct, serious shrimp keepers pump tons of CO2 into their planted tanks with fancy regulated systems etc. But this doesn't mean you need to, you can have a great low light planted tank very easily.
    If you are just getting into shrimpkeeping, I would recommend avoiding the CO2 for now. Start with some nice color cherry shrimp and figure things out. In a few months you'll have an established colony and at that point you can upgrade to a CO2 system, higher PAR light, etc. Could be just me, I'm the type of person that doesn't want to complicate things too much when I'm just getting started.

14. TexasDomer

I'm the same way, but I'm past the point of "just getting started" and I still don't want to get into complicated CO2 quite yet haha

15. OP
    OP
    T

I'll probably skip CO2. It seems like a pain especially when there are beautiful plants that don't need it.

16. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I believe I have heard they stop breeding at around 100 shrimp in a 10g.

17. TexasDomer

That would depend on the availability of food and space and other resources. There's no set number for a tank size.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice