Cherry shrimp hardiness is so weird

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
These things are either the wimpiest pet I've ever owned or actual water roaches. A year back, I tried to start a cherry shrimp colony several times... Each time, I drip acclimated the new batch for an hour or more, used remineralized RODI water only in the tank, so on and so forth. Every time, they'd flop over dead for no discernible reason not long after introduction.

A few weeks ago I recently brought home a tank with an established colony in it already. Fished out like a dozen of the colorless shrimps because I'm hoping to keep the colony red, and tossed them into my snail tank expecting them to become snail food within the week.
Somehow, they're still very much alive, even though they experienced an instant 10 degree temperature change plus all the water quality differences between remineralized RO and dechlorinated tap water. I even saw the males in a mating swarm yesterday! How can these things be so wimpy yet so hardy?!

Sprinkle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I always drip acclimate mine for more than just hour. I would reccomend you to drip acclimate them to a tank with a harder water and well established tank.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've always just floated and plopped my shrimp but everyone seems to drip them, I say whatever works.
In terms of them being hardy, I took apart my shrimp tank netting and transferring all I could and then left the tank with half a cm of water for a week. I set it up anew, then discovered 2 Cherry Shrimp that had survived. :eek:

Sprinkle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jinjerJOSH22 said:
I've always just floated and plopped my shrimp but everyone seems to drip them, I say whatever works.
In terms of them being hardy, I took apart my shrimp tank netting and transferring all I could and then left the tank with half a cm of water for a week. I set it up anew, then discovered 2 Cherry Shrimp that had survived. :eek:
I always drip acclimate my shrimp and fish and they thrive...

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads