Cherry Shrimp Eggs Sticking Out The Sides / Causes Of Premature Egg Dropping?

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by MiniPop, Jul 4, 2019.

1. MiniPop

MiniPopValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +42
    Experience:
    1 year
    My shrimp has been berried for just under 2 weeks. Since the beginning, an egg stuck out her side. Today I saw another hanging out the other side of her. Is she just an inexperienced mother or is she thinking of dropping her eggs? Or is this normal?
    DSC07024.JPG

My other female (first time mother) dropped her eggs at 17 days after an episode of swimming around frantically. I don't know the eggs hatched or not but I don't see babies yet. She proceeded to molt the next night. Could the need to molt cause her to drop eggs?

I'm wondering if my daily top-offs (distilled water) are causing them to molt more? My tank is a topless 10 gallon and about 1 cm evaporates daily.

2. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,443
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hi minipop this shrimp dosnt look like a first time mum her colour tells me she's older than 4months as she been bred in your tank or any idea how old she is?
    It is quite common to see eggs outside the pleopods if they have a high batch of eggs, her colour is do dense shes almost a fire red and the main batch of egg can only be seen in the right light, without all the information the water concerns me so let's try and clear a few things, you are topping off with distilled water daily, what about the main water change how much do you do? What water do you use? Is it reminerilise? Also need to know your gh/kh ph, how big is the tank? Lets get these out of the way and see what we're left with

3. OP
    OP
    MiniPop

Ratings:
    +42
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hi richie.p! I don't know how old this shrimp is as it wasn't born in my tank. I bought this shrimp along with 6 others mid April 2019. The other 6 have died mostly from molting issues after water changes (with white band). I started off using only tap water. My tank is 10 gallons; TDS was 400s (GH was 24, KH 14), and over several weeks I brought it down to 250 by mixing tap with R/O or distilled at each water change. I also decreased water change volume from 50% to 10% weekly with fresh water dripped over about 8 hours. I stopped having deaths after this. I also lowered the amount of ferts (no copper) and my nitrate usually reads 0.

And also I forgot to mention, I do match TDS when doing water changes. And I use Prime to dechlorinate.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2019
  4. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,443
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Well you've done nothing wrong there at all infact that's what I would have suggested, the only thing I would do is to off mid week once but this is something I wouldn't do now as that shrimp is not far off hatching because of this if you try to change anything now could be the wrong thing to do, any idea what your gh is at present

5. OP
    OP
    MiniPop

Ratings:
    +42
    Experience:
    1 year
    Good to know I was on the right track!
    Okay, so don't top off till the shrimp are born?
    Just checked. GH 11 and KH 6.

6. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,443
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    That's perfect I think you should carry on as you are just be careful, that one as survived till now keep doing what your doing getting those eggs to hatch is the main thing try and get the water to tank temp before top up or changing
    I think it was the 50% wster changes that they couldn't cope with that shocked them

7. OP
    OP
    MiniPop

Ratings:
    +42
    Experience:
    1 year
    Just to be sure I understand correctly--you mean I should keep topping up daily but try to match temp?

Omg! I just saw a baby shrimp! So the other female that dropped the eggs actually had them hatch!
    DSC07026.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2019
  8. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,443
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Yes keep doing as you are they are used to it but match temp is important

9. OP
    OP
    MiniPop

Ratings:
    +42
    Experience:
    1 year
    Okay will do. Thank you so very much for your help!

10. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,443
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You've probably got more young in there the eggs hatched before she moulted now take care cleaning and check your bucket, let us know how things go

11. OP
    OP
    MiniPop

Ratings:
    +42
    Experience:
    1 year
    Okay I will definitely be careful and post updates here!

Just one more question if you don't mind. Should I skip this week's water change? The tank was due to a water change today but I was reluctant since the other female just molted and this female's eggs haven't hatched yet. I'm worried about triggering molting.

12. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,443
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    They should be used to what you've been doing by now especially that one lot hatched. If you do keep it to 10% and do it by measuring tds so if your tank is 250 mix your water to 250ish get it to tank temp and add it slowly and you should not have a problem your just doing like for like, it's been the big water changes that's been the problem
    Edit my 10 gal works out to change 6ltrs when you take out the bits in the tank so theres s guide if your worried just do 5ltrs

13. OP
    OP
    MiniPop

Ratings:
    +42
    Experience:
    1 year
    Gotcha. I will do that. Thanks again!!

14. OP
    OP
    MiniPop

Ratings:
    +42
    Experience:
    1 year
    I think I have a problem. :(
    Well good news first. Yesterday the shrimp was no longer berried and I think the babies did hatch! Hard to find them in my tank but I did see one.
    Bad news is, the day before that, I noticed a white band on her neck. I'm thinking molting issue. Today the band is wider. Usually when this happens my shrimp dies. But I don't know what could have caused it this time. A different shrimp (born in my tank) molted yesterday without problems. I did do a water change several days ago with matched TDS and slowly dripped over a whole day. Is my water still too hard?

Here's a pic.
    DSC07102.JPG

Better pic:
    DSC07105.JPG

15. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,443
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You sure this one as had the babies,? How long as she been in the tank

16. OP
    OP
    MiniPop

Ratings:
    +42
    Experience:
    1 year
    Yes I'm sure as she is the only solid red one in my tank. She's one of the original 7 that I bought in April 2019 and the last survivor.

17. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,443
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Ok minipop I've just bee back through the thread to refresh and it looks like the shrimp from the first pic I know we talked about reducing water to 10%and the 50% changes could have been your problem, when was the last time you done a big water change?

18. OP
    OP
    MiniPop

Ratings:
    +42
    Experience:
    1 year
    Based on my records, Mar 26 was the last time I did 50%. After that I switched to 10 to 15%. But I continued to have deaths so I started dripping in the fresh water. I think I changed water with pure RO for a few weeks to bring down the TDS to 250 from 400s.

Oh wait a sec that doesn't make sense. I got the shrimps after March. lol

Ok I'm sure I got the RCS on April 15 2019. I think by May I switched to 10-15% water change.

19. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,443
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Ok we know your deaths were due to big water changes which you've now got under control, the fact you have young have automaticily acclimatised them to your water, so all your related shrimp have died except this one, now it can go two ways with this shrimp, if you read back we held off a little due the her almost have g young and this was the priority even if she dies cos what we wanted was her young, now shes had them she may moult within the next 24hrs which is normal and shell breed straight away,if the shell is soft enough she will moult if shes still having issues she may die, never the less it's the young you wanted and I cross my fingers they will br ok now that you have your water where you want it and have a routine, it'll be useful to do a gh/kh ph test if you can. None of the young from the other litters have died have they

20. OP
    OP
    MiniPop

Ratings:
    +42
    Experience:
    1 year
    Okay. :( I really didn't want to lose her so I hope she'll surprise us and molt fine. She's still being active so I am hopeful.
    Okay I'll do another test for those params.
    I have had deaths from my first litter. One of the 7 originals was berried when I bought her. 2 of the shrimplets died. The 2 surviving ones bred and shrimplets hatched a few days ago.