Cherry Shrimp Dying Right After Another?! 10 Gallon Tank

1. Sherman the Shrimp

Sherman the Shrimp New Member Member

I have had a cherry shrimp farm with over 50 shrimp for about a year and suddenly they started dying so I moved the remaining 8 to a smaller tank used for when I clean their 10 gallon tank. They were fine until they started dying again! I was left with 1 adult and 1 baby shrimp! I decided to start the farm again, to save the last 2. I went and bought 6 new cherry shrimp and got new rocks, new filters, 1 live plant, 1 artificial plant and something that releases small bubbles. I have had them for about 4 days and they all swim together and eat together, they love the bubble thing and to hide in the plants! Alas, today 1 died, and now I see 2 others swimming strangely, as if they can't swim for very long and then go lifeless then try to swim again.
    I do not have any fish in the tank just the cherries.
    I do have to put a thin filter (a small, clean knee high hose, tied with a small rubber band) around the water filter because the shrimp swim and get stuck in the holes of it and it kills them.
    The temperature is also around 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Please help and tell me what's happening!?
    I have a pregnant cherry and I'm afraid she will die too...

I apologize for the poll? I didn't know what that was and it filled it in like that??

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Hi & welcome to Fishlore, I’ve removed the poll for you :)

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

What's your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, TDS, and gH at? Do the ones that die have an unusual color at all or a "band" behind their head?

4. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

This is strange indeed. Do you have a water test kit? You should start with testing your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Maybe test pH as well. Also check that your heater is working properly.

How often do you change the water, and how much do you change?

5. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

Yes check your water first. But am I understanding correctly that you move them out of the 10g every time you clean? Maybe that’s stressful? I’m sure you still have them in their tank water correct? Not new water in the smaller tank? Sorry if I misread.

6. OP
    OP
    Sherman the Shrimp

Thank you that was embarrassing! Haha

7. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

No problem, you’ll soon get the hang of things here & if you have any questions just ask, we’re all here to help :)

8. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Wow I missed that!

Yeah that is a very likely cause of death.

@Sherman the Shrimp - you should be leaving the shrimp in their tank at all times, even during cleaning and water changes. All this moving back and forth between tanks is going to be super stressful on shrimp. Shrimp don't do well with moving between tanks. Every time I've ever moved a group of shrimp, I've lost some.

9. OP
    OP
    Sherman the Shrimp

They are not a different color or have a band behind their head, they look normal.
    I have not tested their water, but thank you I will definitely check on that now! When I had my previous shrimp farm of over 50 cherries as a first time owner of them I never tested their water and they lived long and flourished. So that's why its odd that it is happening. Thank you for replying!

I will go out and get a test kit now to check it! When I had my shrimp farm that was over 50 I never checked it and they were fine. But I guess different shrimp so why not test it to be sure. Thank you for replying!

Also I have not needed to change out their water since I just got them 4 days ago, it is still clean.
    When I do change it out I try to clean out at least half to more than half when the water starts to look dirty. I have even taken almost all of the water out and leaving just a bit, and the shrimp were still fine after that and did not die. But right now I do not need to clean their tank :)

I do not move them out of their tank every time I clean it, only every 6 months when their rocks and little castle are gross with algae(even though they seem sad when I clean it) and in the small tank I put them with their tank water not new water.
    Yes, I do leave them in the 10 gallon tank with their tank water. Thank you for replying!

I have not needed to clean their tank since I just got them. But when I had over 50 I would leave them in their tank with some of their water because there was just too many to take out and babies, only every 6 months when the rocks and castle got grimy I would transfer them into the small tank with their tank water, and when I put them back they were fine.

I will get a test kit and test the water. I never did it before and they were fine, but these are new shrimp and I can't have them dying :( so I will definitely check it!

What should I look up or what should the levels be for the shrimp?

10. MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

To clean my shrimp tanks I take out about 10-20% of the water every week, and then slowly add in new dechlorinated water. I use a siphon to suck out the water but I never actually use it to clean the substrate (sand) because lots of small shrimplets like to hang out at the bottom of the tank.

The tank should be cycled, so 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Nitrates should be as low as possible. I have a shrimp tank with lots of plants, which help remove nitrates in the tank, so nitrates are close to 0, if not already 0, for me.

Edit: Are the plants you mentioned live or plastic?

11. OP
    OP
    Sherman the Shrimp

Th
    Thank you for replying! I have 1 plastic plant and 1 leafy plant

12. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Here's some information on the nitrogen cycle. It will help you solve this problem along with the test kits. By the way, Chewy.com has the cheapest API Master Test Kit I've been able to find :) Nitrites/ammonia should be at 0 ppm and nitrates under 20 ppm.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/article/74/?aid=74

I would suggest weekly 20-30% water changes rather than the large changes you seem to perform. When adding water back, pour it in gently and make sure it's the same temperature as the tank water. The shrimp love to consume algae, so I would also avoid cleaning decorations. The shrimp should also not be removed from their tank, regardless of whether it's an occasional thing or not. This process is very stressful and could lead to death, as shrimp are very sensitive creatures.

13. OP
    OP
    Sherman the Shrimp

I do clean the water out about that much a week, it still does get dirty looking and that's when I can tell its dirty so I clean out more. And then around 6 months do a full cleaning. Thank you for your help I will check out the link :)

P_20180613_134534_vHDR_On.jpg

This is what I have for now, I want more real organic things for them, but if they are dying I'm going to wait. Excuse the blurry bubbles they aren't as dangerous as they look and even the baby shrimp like to swim in them

14. Adriifu

All right. Good luck! Make sure to update us on the test results. Cute set-up, by the way!

15. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

A question comes to mind. With nothing but a handful of shrimp why is your water looking dirty? How much and how often are you feeding them. My 10 g tank gets a 10-20 % water change every week to two weeks and the water never looks dirty. I am concerned about the dirty water. This might be your problem.
    Also you mentioned that you are not new to shrimp, a years experience is a very good knowledge base. Could you have anyone in the house that is tossing things in your tank like more food?

16. OP
    OP
    Sherman the Shrimp

I see where things got a bit confusing!
    This is my current tank with now 7 shrimp that I got 4 days ago, with new everything. I did not reuse the rocks or plants from my previous shrimp farm of 50+, because from them only 2 managed to survive, and I decided to start new again.
    In my replies of the water being dirty, was when I had 50+ shrimp, and I would only feed them a bit, maybe every week or 2 because they did like any algae build up and they aren't big eaters but there were so many of them they would eat it up. I think it would get dirty from some of the food that did end up leftover on and under the rocks. But I would change out 10-20% of their water. No one else feeds them.
    The issue in having is that with my new tank of 8, 1 already died and 2 are now acting like they are dying too, it is a clean, new tank, I am suspecting the water nitrates, ph, etc. is not where it should be for the cherries. And am going to buy a test kit to check it. Thank you for replying to me!

17. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

If it’s a clean new tank. Then that could be your problem shrimp require a seasoned mature stable tank. I run my RCS tank 3 to 4 months with a snail or a couple fish before I add shrimp. This allows for the cycle to complete and the PH stabilize, more importantly it allows time for the biofilm to grow and develop. This is what has worked for me in the past. Others say you can have a stable tank in a few weeks.
    You might want to add some cuttlefish bone to your tank to help bring up the calcium.

18. OP
    OP
    Sherman the Shrimp

Thank you for your feed back, that could be it too, since its really new and clean. I will look for the cuttlefish bone also!

19. OP
    OP
    Sherman the Shrimp

So update if anyone is still watching this thread, the 2 shrimp that were acting strange did not die, I saw them swimming fine last night and this morning there are no bodies, they all like to hide in the plants so I can't find all 7 of them.
    Does any one think that the bubble thing might be too much stress for them and that's why they are hiding? Because they can't swim freely without a current moving them? Some I do see swim fine through it and on it but some do get taken with the bubbles. That is my concern also.

20. Adriifu

It may be an issue for some of the shrimp, especially newborns. Perhaps you can take it out and see what happens.