Cherry Shrimp dying off slowly?

Bloblob

This is a weird one but bear with me.

recently I changed the entire layout of my shrimp tank. The main trigger for this was the fact that the snails I keep alongside them would poop and it would get caked under the gravel, which inevitably caused a detritus worm spike (alongside smelling SO bad). I changed to fine substrate instead.

in addition to this, I put in driftwood and added more plants to make it look more forest-esque. I would like to note that I kept the old tank water to combine with the new water for the bacteria, and kept my old filter medium as well. Everything I put in that was new had been thoroughly rinsed and submerged in old tank water before being placed in the shrimp tank. Currently the wood is leeching tannins and has that slime on it, but neither of those impact shrimp as far as I'm aware.

I noticed since the change that my shrimp are dying? The initial lot were about 4-5,three of which had died in the same spot (they weren't stuck and there is nothing hazardous in that specific location). All of them were young fry that were approx. One month or so old, so fairly larger than a recent hatchling. There was another one, and then two more today. In addition, my rabbit snail also died at the same time (could be coincidence).

I naturally tested the water because I thought I had thrown my cycle totally out of whack. The results were:
Nitrite: 0.25
Ammonia: 0.0
pH: 4-6

I added a small piece of cuttlefish bone as well from the start to ensure calcium levels remained good for moulting. All of my other snails and shrimp are thriving, have successfully moulted and are swimming/snailing around the tank quite happily. There is plenty of food and plants for them to chew at and hide around, and it only seems to have affected the youngest ones (but not the super young just-hatched black shrimplets). I introduced all of them like I would new shrimp to the tank, slowly via drip acclimatisation in a quarantine portion of the tank to match the temperature.

I can't wrap my head around it! I really am at a loss for how so many of my shrimp have died. None of them appeared to be stuck moulting, and I have other surviving shrimplets that are also doing just fine (for now). If anybody has any inkling of what might be plaguing my poor shrimp, I would love to know.

StarGirl

Shrimp do not like big parameter swings. This would be my guess. Changed too much water or the wrong temp etc.

Upvote 0

Bloblob

Shrimp do not like big parameter swings. This would be my guess. Changed too much water or the wrong temp etc.
I would say I genuinely kept 60-70% of their old water, and warmed it to identical temps :(. But maybe despite my slow acclimating they still didn't much like it?

Upvote 0

richiep

Was your ph as low as that before the change

Upvote 0

Bloblob

Was your ph as low as that before the change
Yep! Tested both before and after so that I could remain consistent.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

PH too low and too much change. 4 - 6 is 100 times difference in acidity. Somethings off... You may have really soft watsr

Upvote 0

Bloblob

PH too low and too much change. 4 - 6 is 100 times difference in acidity. Somethings off... You may have really soft watsr
I was thinking that. Turns out I actually have the answer: I've got a planaria infestation. Killed some babies, adults and two pregnant shrimp. Everything else has been completely stable, no ammonia or nitra/ites and I added a fragment of cuttlefish bone to boost calcium. Getting some dewormer today and hoping for the best.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

I was thinking that. Turns out I actually have the answer: I've got a planaria infestation. Killed some babies, adults and two pregnant shrimp. Everything else has been completely stable, no ammonia or nitra/ites and I added a fragment of cuttlefish bone to boost calcium. Getting some dewormer today and hoping for the best.

Just be careful, a planaria infestation is usually the result of a problem not the cause of it. When shrimps start dying, planaria can naturally appear.

The detritus worms, bad smell, nitrite readings are all indicators of poor water quality. A substrate change ontop of that probably overwhelmed the shrimps. The pH values are also wack....I think something's wrong with the test kit.....

Upvote 0

Bloblob

Just be careful, a planaria infestation is usually the result of a problem not the cause of it. When shrimps start dying, planaria can naturally appear.

The detritus worms, bad smell, nitrite readings are all indicators of poor water quality. A substrate change ontop of that probably overwhelmed the shrimps. The pH values are also wack....I think something's wrong with the test kit.....

the test kit I use ranges 6.0 to 9.0 (AquaCare). I might buy another kit to do a different reading. The bad smell turned out to be nerite snail poop, but the worms still remain an issue. I use water conditioner and bio boost on top of shrimp safe plant fert, is there anything I can do to improve the quality? Im honestly devastated, I've lost so many that I loved

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

the test kit I use ranges 6.0 to 9.0 (AquaCare). I might buy another kit to do a different reading. The bad smell turned out to be nerite snail poop, but the worms still remain an issue. I use water conditioner and bio boost on top of shrimp safe plant fert, is there anything I can do to improve the quality? Im honestly devastated, I've lost so many that I loved

Not sure what bio boost is. How much are you feeding the tank? Probably feeding too much

Upvote 0

Bloblob

Update: Deworming worked! It's been 72+ hours and no shrimp deaths since dosing, some very healthy moults and happy shrimp swimming around instead of standing still.

I bought myself a big and proper test kit to monitor my levels as I didn't trust the previous one anymore. Parameters are stable and good (kH a little higher than I'd like but I'll fix that with an almond leaf). For now my shrimp are doing really well, it's nice to see them back to normal. Thank you all for the advice, I do think overfeeding might have been the culprit. I'll be vigilant from here on out!

Upvote 0

Leeman75

Update: Deworming worked! It's been 72+ hours and no shrimp deaths since dosing, some very healthy moults and happy shrimp swimming around instead of standing still.

I bought myself a big and proper test kit to monitor my levels as I didn't trust the previous one anymore. Parameters are stable and good (kH a little higher than I'd like but I'll fix that with an almond leaf). For now my shrimp are doing really well, it's nice to see them back to normal. Thank you all for the advice, I do think overfeeding might have been the culprit. I'll be vigilant from here on out!

That's good that it worked! What brand/type of dewormer did you use? I've found that I have a bit of a planaria outbreak as well. I stopped feeding about a week ago and have been selectively removing them when I see them accumulated. I'd like to get rid of them for sure.

Upvote 0

Bloblob

That's good that it worked! What brand/type of dewormer did you use? I've found that I have a bit of a planaria outbreak as well. I stopped feeding about a week ago and have been selectively removing them when I see them accumulated. I'd like to get rid of them for sure.

I used Panacur-brand dewormer! It's in granule form and the main ingredient is fenbendazole. You can find other dewormer with different ingredients but not a whole lot is known about whether they work as well. If you keep nerite snails though, move them! It'll wipe those out too. My bladder snails seem entirely unharmed. Make sure you monitor ammonia if you have a lot of planaria because it can spike with all the deaths (as if they weren't annoying enough alive).

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RUADJAI
Replies
Views
chrisnoles
Replies
Views
JettsPapa
  • Question