Cherry Shrimp Dying - Need Help

Zenko

Reaction score
HI all,
Over the last week my small population of cherry red shimp has started to die one by one. They have been in a 20 litre tank set to 24degrees for about 6 weeks and until now produced shrimp babies and are successfully molting. When the first one died I did a water change and added apI ammo lock (ammonia was approx 0.25). The tank has ada amazonia substrate and growing java moss etc. Current water parameters are PH 6.4 Ammonia 0.25 (isnt dropping) Nitrate 0. GH appears to be 7 however KH test is turning yellow as soon as I add drops so I'm assuming its very low. My water is PH7.5 from the tap so I'm assuming is the substrate that is causing the PH drop. For now the baby shrimp seem to be ok. Running out of ideas on what to do next and any help would be much appreciated !

Cheers

Nick

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is the tank new or old?

New tanks that were not properly cycled or were stocked before a bacteria colony became large enough will experience parameter spikes. You shouldn’t be seeing any ammonia in your tank at all.

You can use ammo lock or ammonia remover, but ammonia isn’t something that is just supposed to happen in your tank and gets fixed with some additives. Ammonia is the result of an underlying imbalance in your tank

OP
Z

Zenko

Reaction score
Crimson_687 said:
Is the tank new or old?

New tanks that were not properly cycled or were stocked before a bacteria colony became large enough will experience parameter spikes. You shouldn’t be seeing any ammonia in your tank at all.

You can use ammo lock or ammonia remover, but ammonia isn’t something that is just supposed to happen in your tank and gets fixed with some additives. Ammonia is the result of an underlying imbalance in your tank

Thanks! The tank is about 6 weeks old and been dosing regularly with API quickstart. Plants are growing well and the shrimp seemed very happy until a few days ago

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Zenko said:
Thanks! The tank is about 6 weeks old and been dosing regularly with API quickstart. Plants are growing well and the shrimp seemed very happy until a few days ago
Is there any decaying matter in the tank?

OP
Z

Zenko

Reaction score
Crimson_687 said:
Is there any decaying matter in the tank?
Nothing dying. The plants are all looking pretty healthy. I'm wondering if its the substrate causing the problem

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Although not ideal, 0.25 ppm ammonia IS technically safe, just not good for longterm.

What worries me is the 0 ppm nitrate. A cycled, or at least mostly cycled, tank should have nitrate.

Do you know your nitrites? They may be the culprit

OP
Z

Zenko

Reaction score
Crimson_687 said:
Although not ideal, 0.25 ppm ammonia IS technically safe, just not good for longterm.

What worries me is the 0 ppm nitrate. A cycled, or at least mostly cycled, tank should have nitrate.

Do you know your nitrites? They may be the culprit
Just retested. Nitrite is 0, Nitrate close to 0 (maybe 1 ) and ammonia seems to have risen again its somewhere between 0.25 and 0.5.

I also added a packet of purigen into the filter when I first noticed 1 had died and the ammonia was elevated

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ada amazonia naturally releases ammonia into your tank when first put in so long term may well have an affect on your shrimp until the ammonia stops being released

OP
Z

Zenko

Reaction score
richie.p said:
Ada amazonia naturally releases ammonia into your tank when first put in so long term may well have an affect on your shrimp until the ammonia stops being released
Any idea how long this is likely to last if its the cause?

New Threads