Cherry Shrimp dying from old age?

ppls1000

Reaction score
I have had a large increase in cherry shrimp dying the last week or two. It's also been 18 months since I started the tank. Would it be reasonable to believe I'm going to start having a lot of deaths due to old age? Up until last month I rarely had a death and my numbers have increased like crazy. I always have babies. I have hundreds in a 20 gallon tank.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think life span is 1-2 years depending on tank conditions and temperature.

OP
ppls1000

ppls1000

Reaction score
david1978 said:
I think life span is 1-2 years depending on tank conditions and temperature.
That's what I have read also. So I feel like it's going to be normal to get a lot of deaths from now on. Just wanting to verify from other shrimp owners that eventually there comes a time when shrimp are dying daily?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes your at the time to start losing shrimp but generally you don't see them dying in large amounts so you shouldn't see say 10 bodies all at once even in my tanks I see one here and there being eaten, as long as you're doing water test and there's no visible signs of disease then put it down to old age

OP
ppls1000

ppls1000

Reaction score
Another interesting thing is the molts have seemed to increase a lot. I have always had molts but it's like they are doing it in large groups now. Otherwise everything seems normal. The only significant event lately is moving them from a 10 gallon to 20 gallon tank about 2 weeks ago now. Which also meant a new light for them.

I do know there comes a time when I need to buy new shrimp. Should I also look at doing that now? Inject some new genetics into the tank? Besides the deaths my shrimp look great. The colors are amazing and I couldn't be happier with how everything looks.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The move to the new tank may have triggered a moult and they got through that which is great, adding some new blood now would be good to keep the colours but try and move some of the lower grade on to someone who doesn't mind a little less colour, apart from that I think you're doing great.
Would be nice to see some pictures

mrsP

Reaction score
Never hurts from genetics point of view. I would probably do it regulary, perhaps once or twice a year.

OP
ppls1000

ppls1000

Reaction score
I do cull the poor colors to my main tank. Which always makes me laugh because all the shrimp in my main tank have great color. I move over poor colors and then they color up great in my main tank. I recently had a batch of orange shrimp born in my shrimp tank. It was very distinctly orange.

How do you two add new genetics? People you know or just the local fish store? My whole colony started with 8 shrimp from Petco. I do sell shrimp to a fish store about an hour away so I could always ask them. They pay me 0.75 each and then sell them for $6 each

I also had my first berried shrimp dead yesterday which was interesting to see

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you see good ones advertised get in touch and ask them if they are the shrimp you're getting most of the time they're not, when I advertise I put with the picture that these are the shrimp you get, you can source from anywhere like pet co as their turn around is so fast and I've seen some stunning shrimp come from them that other members put on and I doubt you'll get the same strain, if you get any good colours from the cull tank put them back in the main one.
I do have a few breeders I turn to and they're people I've used for years so I know what I'll get but with new suppliers I ask a lot of questions

OP
ppls1000

ppls1000

Reaction score
richie.p said:
If you see good ones advertised get in touch and ask them if they are the shrimp you're getting most of the time they're not, when I advertise I put with the picture that these are the shrimp you get, you can source from anywhere like pet co as their turn around is so fast and I've seen some stunning shrimp come from them that other members put on and I doubt you'll get the same strain, if you get any good colours from the cull tank put them back in the main one.
I do have a few breeders I turn to and they're people I've used for years so I know what I'll get but with new suppliers I ask a lot of questions
Do you quarantine new shrimp? I do have a quarantine tank for new fish I buy but I have never bought new shrimp before.

As far as shrimp I cull out to my 55 gallon fish tank I leave them in there forever. I like the small touch they add to the tank. Lately I find a shrimp in my filter Everytime I clean it out. They must get sucked in as a baby and then grown up in there.

New Threads