Cherry shrimp dropped eggs

cmhassinger

Reaction score
it’s been driving me crazy ! But I do still worry about my cherry but I guess A fish scared her like you said so that’s why she is hiding? I hope feel starts to feel comfortable again soon and will come out.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think she will, the oto will only eat her young

ROFEA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Im very new to this too op. I just have to ask the pros, isnt it possible for a shrimps saddle to fall and appear as eggs for a day or two before dropping unfertilized?
I ask because i have two ghosts (I'm pretty sure two females) in a 2.6 g with neos (this is the smallest of my 3 tanks). They've been there for 6+months and one appeared berried last week for 2 days. I thought I may have mistaken the sex of one but she dropped them and I read online that can happen when unfertilized. This is her when she appeared pregnant:

Attachments

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi ROFEA there are a few different processes regarding the breeding of shrimp, Neocaradina which are your cherry reds,yellows,blues,greens ect, you get the idea their mating process begins when the female moults and leaver off a pheromone the male gets attracted and deposits sperm into a receptacle the female will then within the next 24hrs maybe days start to move the undeveloped eggs from the saddle through the sperm where they are fertilised down to her Pleopods or underbelly as most know where they will stay until hatched 24ish days, the female will not do this to unfertilised eggs,when you see them attached to the pleopods they will be fertile. Some first time mums do loose fertilised eggs due to immaturity, second time is normally fine,
Ghost shrimp on the other hand are different the female every few weeks will pass eggs down to where they attach to the legs when this is done the male comes along and fertilises them if theres no male she will drop them but this is not the case for Neocaradina, & Caridina

ROFEA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow, thank you so much for the very helpful information! That explains what happened and I guess they really are both female ghosts. They look so identical and I assumed both would randomly saddle but I was starting to wonder if it was just the one. Boy/girl neos are much easier to tell the difference (not that I've seen a boy ghost and google search shows amano or other types).

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Female are larger than males and the point or ridge is also more pronounced. the saddle is easily seen due to the transparency

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom