Cherry shrimp dropped eggs

cmhassinger

So I have two shrimp one cherry and one what I thought/was told was a Amano shrimp. I didn’t know the sexes but one day I saw a sac of yellow eggs on a leaf. After research I now know my cherry is a female but from reading online they can’t breed with a Amano shrimp? My sucker fish ate the eggs And now she is hiding and seems very skiddish which isn’t like her and seems to be constantly moving her swimmerets. Is that normal shrimp behavior? I found the eggs maybe 2 weeks ago so I can’t imagine she is pregnant again?
I'm starting to worry about her

richiep

Croeso welcom to fishlore
So how many cherry shrimp do you have if one was berried

cmhassinger

I just have the one cherry and one Amano. No other shrimp. I have attached a picture of the mystery eggs. I don’t have a snail either which is what my local fish store thought it was from.

Attachments

• 094FCD61-276D-4396-84BC-A2FF9F82C978.jpeg
    094FCD61-276D-4396-84BC-A2FF9F82C978.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 03F16BF6-52B9-4497-B0B6-E08E75C302C0.jpeg
    03F16BF6-52B9-4497-B0B6-E08E75C302C0.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 935867C2-BC66-4B92-A5CF-9EAF9CAE513C.jpeg
    935867C2-BC66-4B92-A5CF-9EAF9CAE513C.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 109

richiep

There looks to be a lot of eggs there how many do you recon there were, also I've got my doubts about that other being an ammano, any chance of a side photo

cmhassinger

No I couldn’t tell because of the angle and unfortunately one of my fish ate them almost as soon as I found them. I have attached some more pictures of the clear shrimp I just tried to take. When he was younger I swear he had some dots on his side but I don’t see them anymore.

There looks to be a lot of eggs there how many do you recon there were, also I've got my doubts about that other being an ammano, any chance of a side photo
Ok my husband took a better one. Lol

Attachments

• 9BE8CD61-4809-4DDE-88E9-66203F88F87A.jpeg
    9BE8CD61-4809-4DDE-88E9-66203F88F87A.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 610A757B-7838-42C8-8D57-8977ECCE016D.jpeg
    610A757B-7838-42C8-8D57-8977ECCE016D.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 26C6F6D4-0AC0-4C2B-A9F4-930FC5EB9EA9.jpeg
    26C6F6D4-0AC0-4C2B-A9F4-930FC5EB9EA9.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 100

richiep

Sorry for the questions but I'm trying to work out what's gone on, as for the red don't worry if she feels threatened she will hide, how long have those two shrimp been in there and how long after you had the red was she berried, it is normal for young shrimp to loose their first batch but can breed as soon as she moulted again

cmhassinger

So the shrimp have been together for 4 months and they have lived with the fish for 2 months with no problems. I never saw her berried just saw them on that leaf. I just assumed they were shrimp eggs because fish don’t have eggs correct? Sorry if I sound dumb lol but this is my first ever fish tank. I would say she was in there for 3 months before I saw the mystery eggs.
I have attached pictures of my fish.

Attachments

• 24EFBBD0-167B-4AC6-BC5F-C28851FED3CF.jpeg
    24EFBBD0-167B-4AC6-BC5F-C28851FED3CF.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 80
  • BE9D2C4E-28CE-4A3E-98E6-AB738F3BC195.jpeg
    BE9D2C4E-28CE-4A3E-98E6-AB738F3BC195.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 83

richiep

That looks like an ammano which means that your red shrimp was berried when you put her in the tank and that's if you've only had her a short time and the red won't get berried again

If that's the case those eggs didn't come from the shrimp and the endlers are live bearers, which leaves your sucker fish and I know nothing about them except you'd need a pair to breed.

Sprinkle

So the shrimp have been together for 4 months and they have lived with the fish for 2 months with no problems. I never saw her berried just saw them on that leaf. I just assumed they were shrimp eggs because fish don’t have eggs correct? Sorry if I sound dumb lol but this is my first ever fish tank. I would say she was in there for 3 months before I saw the mystery eggs.
I have attached pictures of my fish.

There is a slight chance that these eggs aren't your cherries eggs. Female cherry shrimps need a male cherry in order to spawn.
These eggs aren't amanos either, as amanos eggs will hatch in fresh water but will be eaten by fish and wouldn't survive in freshwater as they need salty water to survive.

FinalFins

As suggested above the shrimp could of been berried when bought.

I doubt it is oto eggs because again, pair is needed plus a good, densly planted tank is a requirement for them to even get into breeding mood.

Sprinkle

Could have been berried already when bought. I agree.

richiep

Not possible they have been in the tank 4 months and shrimp only carry for 24 ish days
Could have been berried already when bought. I agree.

Sprinkle

Not possible they have been in the tank 4 months and shrimp only carry for 24 ish days

Okay, then its not your cherry then.

richiep

How about a hiding snail

cmhassinger

It’s only a 3.5 gallon tank so I figured I would have seen a snail. I’ve searched and looked for a snail and can’t find it. That’s what the pet store thought too but I just can’t find one.

richiep

Theres no logical explanation with what's in the tank and the time things have been in there, even if the clear shrimp was a wild Male your red one would have been berried at least twice, if its happened once and nothing as changed then we can only assume it will happen again so keep an eye out and please keep intouch, it's very strange, btw snails will go walk about

cmhassinger

Ok so I think I figured out it’s the Otto. I didn’t even think to research her but I guess she laid her eggs but since I don’t have a male they didn’t get fertilized. She is the one who ate them.

richiep

solved

cmhassinger

it’s been driving me crazy ! But I do still worry about my cherry but I guess A fish scared her like you said so that’s why she is hiding? I hope feel starts to feel comfortable again soon and will come out.

richiep

I think she will, the oto will only eat her young

ROFEA

I'm very new to this too op. I just have to ask the pros, isn't it possible for a shrimps saddle to fall and appear as eggs for a day or two before dropping unfertilized?
I ask because I have two ghosts (I'm pretty sure two females) in a 2.6 g with neos (this is the smallest of my 3 tanks). They've been there for 6+months and one appeared berried last week for 2 days. I thought I may have mistaken the sex of one but she dropped them and I read online that can happen when unfertilized. This is her when she appeared pregnant:

Attachments

• 20191221_164544.jpg
    20191221_164544.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 87

richiep

HI ROFEA there are a few different processes regarding the breeding of shrimp, Neocaradina which are your cherry reds,yellows,blues,greens ect, you get the idea their mating process begins when the female moults and leaver off a pheromone the male gets attracted and deposits sperm into a receptacle the female will then within the next 24hrs maybe days start to move the undeveloped eggs from the saddle through the sperm where they are fertilised down to her Pleopods or underbelly as most know where they will stay until hatched 24ish days, the female will not do this to unfertilised eggs,when you see them attached to the pleopods they will be fertile. Some first time mums do loose fertilised eggs due to immaturity, second time is normally fine,
Ghost shrimp on the other hand are different the female every few weeks will pass eggs down to where they attach to the legs when this is done the male comes along and fertilises them if there's no male she will drop them but this is not the case for Neocaradina, & Caridina

ROFEA

Wow, thank you so much for the very helpful information! That explains what happened and I guess they really are both female ghosts. They look so identical and I assumed both would randomly saddle but I was starting to wonder if it was just the one. Boy/girl neos are much easier to tell the difference (not that I've seen a boy ghost and google search shows amano or other types).

richiep

Female are larger than males and the point or ridge is also more pronounced. the saddle is easily seen due to the transparency

Drewbacca

I’ve been trying unsuccessfully to breed my RCS for about 9 months. Recently I’ve decreased my water changes to 10% every other week and am using RO/DI a remineralizer. I just got in 12 new shrimp about 6 days ago and hadn’t noticed any being berried. This morning I walked in to find what looks like some dropped eggs tangled in some java moss near my filter. Any chance these guys make it? I’m assuming the mother molted after the stress of the shipping.

Image1579013047.166920.jpg

richiep

The only way these will survive is to tumble them , the mum on the other hand should get berried straight away

Drewbacca

The only way these will survive is to tumble them , the mum on the other hand should get berried straight away

Yeah, I doubt I’m able to get a tumbler quickly enough to get that done. I thought maybe since they’re moving in the current near the filter they might make it.... that is if they don’t get eaten first.

richiep

That is a possibility leave them and see, it's always worth getting or making a tumbler even if you have loads of shrimp, its something I love to do when I get the chance.
That's one mass of eggs you had there

YellowGuppy

I literally just watched this happen in my own tank—even got a bit of video of it happening!! What would cause a shrimp to literally drop their load of eggs? I'm equally curious and frustrated!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

richiep

Its normally down to bad care ,(immaturity) by the mum, happens a lot to first time mums

Drewbacca

They must have been eaten during the night as they're gone now. Oh well. At least I know that they're breeding.

Belshrimp

Hi guys, I've had my 14 cherry Shrimps in a 3 gallon for a month now and this one female looks like she's full of eggs. Can you tell if she might be ready to breed next time she molts? She did once for sure. And she is also the most colorful in the colony.
IMG_20210422_082339~2.jpg
Thank you for any thoughts.

ProudPapa

Welcome to the forum. She looks saddled to me, but I've only been keeping shrimp for about 1-1/2 years. Hopefully some of the more experienced shrimp keepers (like richiep) will respond to confirm that.

Belshrimp

123378.jpg
One more picture few days ago.

ProudPapa

Yup, she's saddled.

Belshrimp

Thank you guys, she had the saddle since we got them, but it looks more developed now. So I'm hoping it's all the way there for her to get them fertilized next time she molts.
I got the shrimp going crazy all around the tank like once a week. But Noone us bared yet.

richiep

Sorry I'm late to the party tank cleaning day 7hrs
JettsPapa is right well and truly saddled

barbiespoodle

Welcome to the fascinating world of shrimp, a journey I only started about 2 years ago and so glad I did.

When you suddenly notice that you don't see her and you have your males going nuts around the tank, then you know she molted, is in hiding since her shell is soft and she's feeling vulnerable but she's also sending out those 'come find me big boy' signals.

Now to be serious. One of the things that got me so trapped into the fascinating world of keeping shrimp is how easy they reproduce. It all started as an impulse buy when I saw some at the lfs and thought they were cute. And despite me being totally shrimp stupid, they reproduced and I was hooked. Now up to 3 shrimp tanks and I still can't get enough of them, watch them constantly, they really are such fascinating silly little things, always doing something to make me laugh.

I can't wait until you post finding those first few babies. Might take you a while to see them, they are so tiny at first and want to hide. I know I didn't see my first until they were juveniles, it's still rare I actually see a newborn. And even after all the babies I've had hatch, I still get all excited when I see one.
BTW, lovely tank, just right to raise shrimp babies.

Belshrimp

Thank you very much for such a great reply. I'm getting super excited about Shrimps too. And I can't wait to breed them and move some over to the bigger tank later.
Here is a full shot of this little starwars jungle.
I'll be changing to black gravel tommorow and will keep more stem plants to provide hiding spots for the babies.

Attachments

• IMG_20210420_054920~2.jpg
    IMG_20210420_054920~2.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 34

barbiespoodle

Lol, love it "Star Wars jungle" (big time Star Wars junky here. )

I have black eco compete in my red shrimp tank since it shows off the reds so well so I agree with the change of color. I love the look of the red shrimp on the black substrate.

On the other hand, I have white gravel on top of dirt in the blue shrimp tank since the blues show up so well on the white, they would get lost in a dark gravel.

The cull shrimp tank ended up with white sand on top of dirt because it will house the panda cories once they are grown enough in their grow out tank to breed. Once they do, the adults will be removed to make the tank a cory fry grow out tank. I wanted white in order to see the panda's better. Meanwhile, the white sand does seem to make the shrimp, which are a weird mixture all colors and patterns including plain browns, visable. But that also might be for the simple reason, there are just so many of them. One of the great things about shrimp is how prolific they are.

This a pic of the culls gathering on a rock. BTW, it is also my only shimp/fish tank so there is also a nice group of wcmm's zooming around and as I said, there will also be panda cory's in the future. I used this tank as an experiment to see how well a shrimp/fish tank would do since they were culls from my other two tanks so wasn't going to let myself get upset if it didn't work. But it did and is fast becoming my fav tank.

Attachments

• 20210422_111842.jpg
    20210422_111842.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 26

Belshrimp

Lol, love it "Star Wars jungle" (big time Star Wars junky here. )

I have black eco compete in my red shrimp tank since it shows off the reds so well so I agree with the change of color. I love the look of the red shrimp on the black substrate.

On the other hand, I have white gravel on top of dirt in the blue shrimp tank since the blues show up so well on the white, they would get lost in a dark gravel.

The cull shrimp tank ended up with white sand on top of dirt because it will house the panda cories once they are grown enough in their grow out tank to breed. Once they do, the adults will be removed to make the tank a cory fry grow out tank. I wanted white in order to see the panda's better. Meanwhile, the white sand does seem to make the shrimp, which are a weird mixture all colors and patterns including plain browns, visable. But that also might be for the simple reason, there are just so many of them. One of the great things about shrimp is how prolific they are.

This a pic of the culls gathering on a rock. BTW, it is also my only shimp/fish tank so there is also a nice group of wcmm's zooming around and as I said, there will also be panda cory's in the future. I used this tank as an experiment to see how well a shrimp/fish tank would do since they were culls from my other two tanks so wasn't going to let myself get upset if it didn't work. But it did and is fast becoming my fav tank.
Wow, so cool. I can't wait to get so many.
Changed the substrate today. Will post picture here in a day or 2 when it settles. The reds look great on black!

Belshrimp

IMG_20210424_151748~3.jpg

Belshrimp

IMG_20210425_110117.jpgand she's done it!!! I can't be happier. In hopping it all goes well and she'll be able to rase them.
Well.... I was too excited. She dropped all the eggs... So... Nothing... Should I remove them or can the shrimp eat them?

barbiespoodle

LOVE IT!!! I don't know if it's the the way the new pic came out, but the attac (sp) walker seems to show up more. Dang it! Now I want one. Got to remember, old lady here who was able to see Star Wars when it first came out in 76 or 7, watched all movies, plus read a lot of Star Wars books, so have been a Star Wars nut for like 40 years now.

And way too cute with your girl on it. And yes, she is going to be a mama.

Just remember, and this comes from someone who stressed over not seeing the babies when she first started with shrimp, they are masters at hiding. Then all of a sudden you start noticing juveniles, and then the next thing you know, you have a thriving colony. IMHO, it's a trip worth taking.

Belshrimp

Haha. I got the walker from Amazon. They have a lot of similar stuff. I love how it looks with the black substrate. The reds in walker and shrimp comes out more.

The mama dropped her eggs almost instantly. So I made a "tumbler" ... Well we'll see if that works or not.

Attachments

• IMG_20210425_125246.jpg
    IMG_20210425_125246.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210425_125251.jpg
    IMG_20210425_125251.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210425_125811.jpg
    IMG_20210425_125811.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210425_125815.jpg
    IMG_20210425_125815.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 15

richiep

The eggs must be separated with water running across them gently or they will rot in days

Belshrimp

Thank you, they are in the current from the filter. So water is running. I'll separate them now. Each on its own then?

richiep

Yes I use two scalpels to get between them

Belshrimp

Done. Now we'll see if that might work... Any way to tell if they are doing good or bad?

barbiespoodle

And don't get discouraged over this set back.

I seriously hope your tumbling method works, I've never tried it so can't give any input on the matter, all I can say is to listen to Richie, if anyone knows about shrimp, it's him. But then again, I had luck with a spur of the moment rescue of a few cory eggs that I was sure would never work, but did. If I could pull that off, I have nothing but high hopes for your indenture.

And there is very high hopes that since the female was able to get berried the first time, she will again and be more experience to keep the eggs the second time around.

May the force be with you.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Bithimala

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

If you are doing a Fishless cycle with TSS+ or a similar bacterial additive, you might want to read CindiL's thread:
Ammonia Instructions when Cycling with TSS+

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom