Cherry Shrimp Died Randomly After Bringing Home Yesterday

Michael_mde

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yesterday a went to a lfs and bought about 5 cherry reds and one of them passed away please help. Ph is in the mid 7's and nitrites is 2 ppm nitrate is 80 ppm amonia is 0 ppm please help my shrimp arent as active as they were yesterday
20190709_163858.jpg
20190709_163918.jpg

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

Michael_mde

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What is your parameters? Shrimp of any kind are extremely sensitive to ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
So right now im mid water test and theres been a big nitrite nitrate basically no ammonia and high PH so now im stressing like how do i fix all of this, this is a fully planted 10 gallon (I am aware its not the best for shrimp keeping).

So right now im mid water test and theres been a big nitrite nitrate basically no ammonia and high PH so now im stressing like how do i fix all of this, this is a fully planted 10 gallon (I am aware its not the best for shrimp keeping).
Ph is in the mid 7's ammonia is 0 ppm nitrites is 1 ppm nitrate is 80 ppm

OP
M

Michael_mde

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The tank doesn't sound fully cycled, you should have 0 nitrites if the tank was cycled, also your nitrates are very high. You may want to do daily water changes until the water parameters stabilize.
Okay and the tank has been running for a month

The tank doesn't sound fully cycled, you should have 0 nitrites if the tank was cycled, also your nitrates are very high. You may want to do daily water changes until the water parameters stabilize.
And also what percentage of a water change

Jack B Nimble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The tank was not cycled sorry for your losses.
I did it once too had a 3 month old tank thought it was cycled it was not. The clear ring on that shrimp i believe called ring of death from molt issue from parameter change. Next time cycle and drip acclimate two hours.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
no ammonia, but 2ppm nitrite, and 80ppm nitrate. sounds like its partially cycled.

test your tap water as well, you might have nitrite or nitrate in your tap water.

do 50% water changes. if you have Prime you can overdose 5x the dosage every 48hrs. test your water after 48hrs. repeat till nitrite 0.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
80ppm Nitraits are toxic to shrimp the one in the photo looks as if it's been shocked, how did you acclimatise them? And can you take a nitrates test of you tap water? How long as the tank been running? Start there

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You need 0 nitrite and preferably no higher than 20 nitrate. A pH of 7.0 to 7.4 is also preferred. I have come to the conclusion that using tap water for shrimp is a highly hit and miss situation. You're much better off using R/O or distilled water mineralized with a product made especially for shrimp.

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Weekly

Votes: 78 67.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 19 16.5%

Top Bottom