Important Cherry Shrimp Can't Upright Themselves

sinned4g63

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This morning I woke up with a strong feeling to check on my shrimp and this is what I found.. One of the shrimp in my main tank seemed like it was beginning to molt so I grabbed my camera having never witnessed it happening. After about 45 second it just didn't seem to be the case as the shrimp appeared more in distress then anything.. My ride to work was already on the way and I wasn't sure what I could really do so I removed the shrimp into a large cricket carrier with at least an inch of water as my other quarantine tanks are being used, so in the case the shrimp died it wouldn't cause an ammonia spike. I was fully prepared to come home to a dead shrimp but to my extreme surprise it is still alive and seemingly suffering. The other 7 shrimp in the tank appear perfectly fine (3 babies, 5 adults) and I haven't changed anything whatsoever since the tank was stocked. The only thing I can think of is a temp swing, last night I went to be around 10pm with it being almost 70 degrees outside but woke up this morning around 8am and it had dropped to about 50 degrees and there is no heater in the tank..
Before work:
After work:
Edit: May be worth mentioning that it did actually grab onto things like the net and tube I used to remove it from the tank but I had to move very very carefully or it would simply fall off onto it's back. Also if you look closely at the second video it's "mouth" appears to be opened more to a Y shape, where the antennae attach to under the rostrum and eyes.

QueenLittleLizard

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I do think some kind of sickness is more probable. I'm just starting with shrimp. Hopefully, someone more experienced can help you out.

OP
sinned4g63

sinned4g63

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
QueenLittleLizard said:
I do think some kind of sickness is more probable. I'm just starting with shrimp. Hopefully, someone more experienced can help you out.
I'm thinking the water might be too hard and the shrimp has almost become immobilized, or that's how it appears. I've noticed it's not doing "crunches" like it was before while trying to move..

OP
sinned4g63

sinned4g63

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just tested the water for TDS and GH/KH. My TDS meter got 235 twice and 220 once so I'm going with best 2 out of 3 and assuming it's closer to the 235. KH was 4 drops/50-100ppm, GH was 9 drops/140-200ppm.

Jellibeen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A failed molt would make sense based on its movements, but I don't think the hardness is too high. I don't think it is too low, either. I also don't think that too soft water would cause that sort of reaction.

OP
sinned4g63

sinned4g63

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hold up, I have to re do my GH.. I sat it down thinking it turned color, did a quick water change on my 2.5g baby betta tank and I swear it turned back to yellow or I'm color blind. o_O

Edit: Ok I'm not crazy, I got 9 again.

OP
sinned4g63

sinned4g63

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jellibeen said:
A failed molt would make sense based on its movements, but I don't think the hardness is too high. I don't think it is too low, either. I also don't think that too soft water would cause that sort of reaction.
It's shockingly still alive..

JenC

Well Known
Reaction score
A 20° temperature swing is huge. Also, 50° is outside of their recommended range. I'm actually surprised that more aren't in distress.

OP
sinned4g63

sinned4g63

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JenC said:
A 20° temperature swing is huge. Also, 50° is outside of their recommended range. I'm actually surprised that more aren't in distress.
Jellibeen said:
Agreed. Maybe invest in a heater to keep temps stable.
Yeah after last night I'll be getting one for sure. Also to be clear, that was the temp outside.. While I don't disagree I would be surprised if my room actually got that cold. Conveniently I do have a heater in the 2.5 good for 3 gallons and a spare heater good for.. 2.5 gallons so it works out.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Unfortunately she'll probably die. I've never seen a shrimp recover after being on their sides in person or online. Your parameters are great. How long have you had them?

OP
sinned4g63

sinned4g63

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
-Mak- said:
Unfortunately she'll probably die. I've never seen a shrimp recover after being on their sides in person or online. Your parameters are great. How long have you had them?
It's hard to say, it's a mix of some from January and some from maybe 2-3 weeks ago.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
sinned4g63 said:
It's hard to say, it's a mix of some from January and some from maybe 2-3 weeks ago.
Very strange, I'm thinking it was probably the temperature or disease

OP
sinned4g63

sinned4g63

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
-Mak- said:
Very strange, I'm thinking it was probably the temperature or disease
Agreed, to that and your statement about not recovering. I'm surprised it's still alive but I don't know if should see what happens or just euthanize it..

New Threads