Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Cherry Shrimp Can't Upright Themselves Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by sinned4g63, Apr 10, 2019.

1. sinned4g63Well Known MemberMember

This morning I woke up with a strong feeling to check on my shrimp and this is what I found.. One of the shrimp in my main tank seemed like it was beginning to molt so I grabbed my camera having never witnessed it happening. After about 45 second it just didn't seem to be the case as the shrimp appeared more in distress then anything.. My ride to work was already on the way and I wasn't sure what I could really do so I removed the shrimp into a large cricket carrier with at least an inch of water as my other quarantine tanks are being used, so in the case the shrimp died it wouldn't cause an ammonia spike. I was fully prepared to come home to a dead shrimp but to my extreme surprise it is still alive and seemingly suffering. The other 7 shrimp in the tank appear perfectly fine (3 babies, 5 adults) and I haven't changed anything whatsoever since the tank was stocked. The only thing I can think of is a temp swing, last night I went to be around 10pm with it being almost 70 degrees outside but woke up this morning around 8am and it had dropped to about 50 degrees and there is no heater in the tank..
    Before work:

After work:

Edit: May be worth mentioning that it did actually grab onto things like the net and tube I used to remove it from the tank but I had to move very very carefully or it would simply fall off onto it's back. Also if you look closely at the second video it's "mouth" appears to be opened more to a Y shape, where the antennae attach to under the rostrum and eyes.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

3. QueenLittleLizardValued MemberMember

Hmm... perhaps it hurt itself, and it can't stand now?

4. sinned4g63Well Known MemberMember

I think that would be unlikely but not totally out of the question.

5. QueenLittleLizardValued MemberMember

I do think some kind of sickness is more probable. I'm just starting with shrimp. Hopefully, someone more experienced can help you out.

6. sinned4g63Well Known MemberMember

I'm thinking the water might be too hard and the shrimp has almost become immobilized, or that's how it appears. I've noticed it's not doing "crunches" like it was before while trying to move..

7. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

What is the hardness?

8. sinned4g63Well Known MemberMember

Just tested the water for TDS and GH/KH. My TDS meter got 235 twice and 220 once so I'm going with best 2 out of 3 and assuming it's closer to the 235. KH was 4 drops/50-100ppm, GH was 9 drops/140-200ppm.

9. sinned4g63Well Known MemberMember

Lol was testing when you asked that..

10. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Sounds like it's too soft actually, that's ~2 degrees hardness and you want closer to 6

11. JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

A failed molt would make sense based on its movements, but i don't think the hardness is too high. I don't think it is too low, either. I also don't think that too soft water would cause that sort of reaction.

12. sinned4g63Well Known MemberMember

Hold up, I have to re do my GH.. I sat it down thinking it turned color, did a quick water change on my 2.5g baby betta tank and I swear it turned back to yellow or I'm color blind. o_O

Edit: Ok I'm not crazy, I got 9 again. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  13. sinned4g63Well Known MemberMember

It's shockingly still alive..

14. JenCWell Known MemberMember

A 20° temperature swing is huge. Also, 50° is outside of their recommended range. I'm actually surprised that more aren't in distress.

15. JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

Agreed. Maybe invest in a heater to keep temps stable.

16. sinned4g63Well Known MemberMember

Yeah after last night I'll be getting one for sure. Also to be clear, that was the temp outside.. While I don't disagree I would be surprised if my room actually got that cold. Conveniently I do have a heater in the 2.5 good for 3 gallons and a spare heater good for.. 2.5 gallons so it works out. :D

17. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Unfortunately she'll probably die. I've never seen a shrimp recover after being on their sides in person or online. Your parameters are great. How long have you had them?

18. sinned4g63Well Known MemberMember

It's hard to say, it's a mix of some from January and some from maybe 2-3 weeks ago.

19. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Very strange, I'm thinking it was probably the temperature or disease :(

20. sinned4g63Well Known MemberMember

Agreed, to that and your statement about not recovering. I'm surprised it's still alive but I don't know if should see what happens or just euthanize it..