Cherry shrimp berry in progress!

Mhamilton0911

Reaction score
I've been observing my biggest female closely for the last few days, and today, I see her hanging out on top of the heater, collecting and organizing her eggs. In one shot, you can see a tiny egg, and by the next photo, she's tucked it. Now she seems content and no longer appears to be 'tucking' eggs underneath. I'm surprised I was able to get some photos!
IMG_2601.JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

Reaction score
This is my first shrimp tank, and my first berried female, so I'm very excited!

I was worried i'd loose her during her last molt, she was still most of the day and had the white ring around her belly, but overnight she was successful and she was out motoring around that day.

Fortunately I moved my tank right next to the spot I sit for most of the day, so I get to see them all the time. I have my camera sitting and waiting for good 'poses'. :)

OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

Reaction score
Yes, the ring, i freaked out. I think its my ph/gh/kh (so confusing tbh). I only have the master test kit, and then lousy strips for gh/kh (i also know totally unreliable). Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate: 0,0,10 while the molt issues were present. This tank transitioned from a community tank to invert only, so I'm sure the nitrates will be a bit lower, I was planning on testing again today. I have switched to minimal cleanings/water changes and now use a airline hose to vacuum plant debris and leftover food so i dont take too much water at one time, and then i slowly add water back in with the airline tube as well.

anyhow, my overall ph was getting low, it was at 6.6 ,and I assumed my gh/kh was low as well, since i saw some shell degrading with my snails. I added some aragonite sand, about a 1/2 cup, into the sand substrate. My snails have grown a bit and look much better, and so far i haven't seen the ring on any of the shrimp since, and I usually see a molt or two each morning. Last pH was 7.6. I know i need the liquid hardness test, i can't seem to find any local. (My available stores are only petco and one local store thats in process of moving locations, so their stock is **** right now)

pic of my method of adding new water

Attachments

OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

Reaction score
10% at least once every 5 days or so. It's a 10 gallon tank, so i take out and replace a gallon at a time, and slowly add the water back using an airline tube so its slow, over about 30 minutes or so for the whole gallon.

OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

Reaction score
I spy my second to largest female with eggs as well!! 2 berried, yay!

OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

Reaction score
Update!
obviously my timing was off because here is my tanks' first official baby shrimp!
IMG_2849.JPG

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Congratulations on the first baby shrimp. A great milestone, may you have many more.

I am still doing 3 water changes each week in a 2.5 gallon shrimp tank. With 2-1/2 inches of gravel it’s a bit hard to know exactly how much I am changing percentage wish . It’s roughly 30%- 40% each time. I am thinking it’s not water changes that are the problem in my opinion it’s changes in parameters. Because I do water changes frequently the parameters are nearly the same all the time I assume?

As far as pouring water in slowly. I admire your commitment but in my opinion unless you are doing a 2 hour water change you might as well fill the tank with two 3/4 inch hoses in two minutes as I do in a fry grow out tank that has a few hundred cherry shrimp. See photo.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have done 40% water changes that were 6 degrees centigrade colder to try and trigger fish to spawn. It just so happens that was my tap water temperature on the day. I don’t recommend it to anyone.
No cherry shrimp wrote a letter of complaint.

I am not saying what you are doing is wrong. I am simply saying what is working for me with my strain of cherry shrimp in my water. I am trying to find an easy path not the most complicated one to follow.

Picture of my method of adding new water.
image.jpg

New Threads