Cherry Shrimp And Cajun Dwarf Crays?

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by cichlid12345, Aug 6, 2017.

1. cichlid12345

cichlid12345Valued MemberMember

Hi,
    I recently started a 5 gallon cherry shrimp tank. I bought about 25 shrimp off of ebay along with some live plants. The same seller also sells cajun dwarf crayfish that I thought were really interesting. In the description of the crays, the seller said that the crays grow to the same size as an adult rcs, are peaceful, and can happily live with rcs. The description is also accompanied by a picture of a cray and a rcs grazing on the same plant about an inch from each other. I've kept regular size crays on and off throughout the years and I've always known them to be spunky, aggressive little things. I was both excited and surprised to find a mini, peaceful version of them to add to the tank. I ordered 5 crays along with the shrimp.
    Now...
    My tank has a piece of driftwood, lots of small ornaments, caves, cholla wood, shells, and live and fake plants to hide or graze. I don't have any experience with rcs but since I'm used to keeping cichlids, I tend to do a head count as I watch the tank. So far I haven't been able to count more than 13 shrimp at a time. I also noticed yesterday that one of the small shrimplets is missing half his tail. I'm growing increasingly suspicious of my mini crays.
    Does anyone have any experience keeping them both in the same tank?
    Is it normal to not see about half of the shrimp population each time I look into the tank or are the crays eating them?
    If I need to remove the crays, can they live with a betta?
    I also see 5 or 6 little rcs exoskeletons sitting around the tank. Will these cause an ammonia spike if I leave them and should they be removed?
    Also, is it normal for the rcs to be kinda blah? They don't actively swim or walk around too much. They're pretty sedentary.
    Thanks for any info

2. OP
    OP
    cichlid12345

15020704081221589191793.jpg
    Here's the tank.

3. libby2999

libby2999Valued MemberMember

Don't feel bad about not keep count. Rcs are EXTREMELY good hiders. Also a lot of the exoskeleton get eaten. I watched a shimp jump out of his shell and have two of his buddies get to nomnomnom-ing on it.

Also whats the temp? Rcs will be much more active in a warmer tank than a cooler one. If they're not scared though they do sit around poking at the gravel looking for snacks. If you warm it up to about 75 f you might get to see males fight.

Also I'd say keep an eye on your mini crays. I've never really hear of them doing okay. Also I've never gotten any beta to not devour the shrimp. Even lay back betas snatch them up. I've heard it can be done but don't recommend it. I do have a couple cherry barb females in my rcs tank. Just females. Theyre almost 3 years old and outlived the rest of their school. These 4 gals are super chill and it's kind of a retirement home for them.

4. OP
    OP
    cichlid12345

Ok. I have one of the Tetra brand preset heaters in the tank so the temp stays around 78. I noticed that I have at least 3 "saddled" females. Any idea how long it takes for them to become berried from this stage?

5. libby2999

I suck at keeping time but I've heard about a month until they hatch. When they hatch they look like tiny little clear shrimp. Theyll get larger and get colour. Just keep the temp up and good feedings.

6. OP
    OP
    cichlid12345

Ok, great. I'm really looking forward to watching the colony grow. How often do you feed your shrimp?

7. libby2999

I feed only when their last meal is gone. I rotate between a veggie waffer and a shrimp pelet. I watch it go down and will only feed again when it's all gone. Ussualy takes them abut 2 to 3 days but I had a small number of 15 or so.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice