Cherry Shrimp + A Little Salt

1. clinrw

clinrw New Member Member

Hey all, I've currently got a 10 gallon established RCS colony to which I'll be adding a couple annual killifish (N. guentheri 'Zanzibar') who are currently about 2 weeks old.

Due to their unique lifecycle and short lifespan (<12 months from hatch typically), I have heard that these killifish can be ...ahem... aggressive breeders from an early age. To prevent velvet and other infections, I've heard that adding about 1/2 teaspoon of salt per gallon can help.

Has anyone used salt in a cherry shrimp tank, and do you think that this much would be harmful if slowly introduced? I was thinking of setting up a drip with a concentrated salt solution to slowly increase the salt to the target over the course of a day or two.

I'm not planning on introducing any salt unless I see signs of velvet, but I'm just trying to plan ahead just in case. If this much salt is unsafe for shrimp in the long run, does anyone knof of any shrimp-safe ways to prevent velvet and prevent infections from fin tears?

Thanks everybody!

2. S

Ste Valued Member Member

Domt add too much at a time, but i dont recomend it bc shrimps are sensitive to water ph and hardness.. if you want to add salt just make sure to quarantine ur fish so the chance of velvet is reduced.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

You don't need to add salt - keeping up with water quality via water changes and gravel vacs will help protect your fish from diseases.

4. OP
    OP
    clinrw

clinrw New Member Member

Ah okay, it seemed from what I had been reading that the lower pH (since I'll have some peat in the tank for spawning), aggressive mating, and young age of the fish can make them especially vulnerable to disease/infection.

I guess I'll just keep up with my normal maintenance regimen, and keep my spare 2.5 gal tank ready as a quarantine tank that I can medicate without worrying about the shrimp.

Thanks!

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Those might make them more vulnerable, but really, clean water is the best for preventing diseases.