Cherry Safe-ish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Nada Mucho, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Nada Mucho

Nada Mucho Well Known Member Member

I've ordered a breeder pack of Red Cherry Shrimp, 10 females and 5 males, which I plan to introduce before I add any fish. I would like to get them established with the hope that I can keep the colony going. Once things are looking good I plan to introduce some fish hence my questions.

I plan on introducing Espe's Rasboras first. I'm not really worried about them and the shrimp since they are so small. I'd also like to introduce some Julii Cories and some Platies. It's the Cories and the Platies I'm unsure about with the shrimp.

If anyone has some feedback or experience I would love to here it.

Thank you!

2. meyowmeow

meyowmeow Valued Member Member

I'd say you are safe with the cory, hit or miss with the Rasboras, and definitely advise against the platies - they will enjoy the shrimplets - NOM NOM NOM :) good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

meyowmeow thank you very much for your reply. Would you say the Rasbora and Platy concerns are just with the shrimplets or would the adults also be at risk. Thanks again!

4. meyowmeow

I would think you'd just need to worry about the shrimplets and depending on their personalities the rasbora might not even notice them but the Platies are pigs haha. I'd worry a lot less about the adult shrimp than the babies with the platy but they'll eat anything they can fit in their mouths :)

5. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

Since you seem to be in the mood to educate a n00b let me ask you another question. Would you say Fancy Guppies would be a safer shrimp partner than Platies? I could go either way.

6. meyowmeow

:p My Fancy Guppies don't get nearly as big Platies. I think they would be a better option for you. Just make sure you have lots of plants and moss for hiding. You might see a shrimplet go missing now and then but you should be able to keep enough to keep the colony going and growing :)

7. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

I didn't do any moss but I did plant my tank out recently. Things are already starting to grow out. Thank you for the Guppy info... I'll strongly consider it.

8. meyowmeow

very pretty!

9. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

You can create some hiding places for the shrimp to hide, so the platies won't eat it.

10. B

Brand New Member Member

I too have red cherry shrimp and want to add fish. I went to the local fish store and checked out the size of the mouth on a fancy guppy and on platies. The adult platies have big mouths compared to the guppies and look like they could do some damage, probably even to the adult shrimp. The adult guppies look like they might be ok.
    I haven't tried it yet, but I plan on going with fancy guppies myself, based on that.

11. W

WhiteCloudMinnows Valued Member Member

I have a female sunset platy with my ghost shrimp, and the platy spends most of her time on the bottom, and she and the shrimp just hang out :p

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

As long as you have enough hiding places for the shrimp, they should be fine, imo.

13. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I safely keep neon tetras, harlequin rasboras, guppies, and a bristlenose pleco with my RCS in my 40 gallon. I'm sure the fish catch an occasional baby or adult, but that's just circle of life. Once the shrimp colony establishes itself you should have no issues. I would stick with shrimp only for a few months while they get established and hopefully multiply. Guppies shouldn't be an issue, but platys are definitely not going to work. I'm not familiar with the Espe Rasbora, but if it's similar to my harlequins than they won't bother the shrimp either.

14. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

Dolfan thank you for your reply and for sharing your experience. The Espe's are smaller than the harlequins so I'm feeling good about them. Feeling good about the guppies. The Julii Cories I think I'm going to bail on for a number of reasons. One of which is that I don't need tank bottom interest if my shrimp are doing well.

I'm considering my options for a third fish in my tank including ruby, ember, green neon tetras (though I worry about disease). I am also considering some Endler's Livebearers. Thanks again for assisting in my search.

15. B

Brand New Member Member

I have 8 male Endler's with my shrimp and they get along great. They are fun little fish.

16. Mike the fish keeper

Mike the fish keeper Valued Member Member

A good fish to keep witn shrimp are hatchet fish because they spend 95% of their time at the top of the aquarium and will most likely never even come near the shrimp

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice