Cherry/Rosy Barb Breeding Question

Henri

Hello, I went to the pet store today because I want to buy some gravel for my tank and I got excited about the fish there getting bigger so I took a look at each tank. I went to this tank with 4-5 pregnant barbs ( I need your help to determine them ), 2-3 males and 5 plecos. I really loved the pregnant ones as I have never seen a pregnant aquarium fish live before. I can't tell if they were Rosy or Cherry barbs, I'm looking at some of these species' pictures right now and they look the same. The only thing I can tell you is that the males were orange as well ( both genders had a black horizontal line in the middle of their head and their tale ) but there was a a very large and thin " minI fin ", or line that came out of the male's tail. I can tell they were males because I saw them chase the females around the tank. As I gazed in amazemet, I asked the pet store owner why there wasn't ANY plant (for the fish to stick their eggs to) in the tank but gravel and I got a shocking reply from him: They don't lay eggs, they give birth to fry immediately... I couldn't believe this, I tried to object to his opinion but he was very sure of this...
As he said so he opened a drawer and took out a plastic, transparent " box " that had a separator plastic layer in the middle of it ( the separator was put horizontally )... The pet store owner filled it with water but not completely so it would fload and took only two pregnant females without the males and put them in the box... It was very tiny...He called this box a " maternity ", however I've never heard of it or seen that object before...
Can any of you tell me what does it work for ( I didn't make him any further questions because I noticed I was bothering him with my fish lore ).
Anyways, so these are my questions, would be very glad if you could provide an answer for each of them:
1.What are the fish in that tank, cherry or rosy barbs?
2.Is the pet store owner's theory-that those kind of fish don't lay eggs but give birth to fry instead? You may say "Not sure, that might be a special kind of fish " bu NO, I am 100% sure it is either a Cherry or a Rosy Barb. I learnt at school that every kind of fish lays eggs and the male sprays them with his milt.
3.What does the maternity box work for and if any of you has it, can I use it for my Goldfish ( whatever it's used for ) when they breed?
PS. Sorry for the grammar, but it has been a very exhausting day for me
Thank you my Friends, I am really learning a lot about fish recently!

angel_scout

1. Not sure whether its a rosy or cherry lol sorry.

2. Yes cherry barbs lay eggs,like most fish, but their are some fish thst give birth to live young they are called live bearers.

3. The maternity thing you are talking about is probably a breeder box for live bearers, you put your livebearer in there and when they have the babies the fry fall through the slots and that way the parents can`t eat them. I would not put a goldfish in there. If any of my info is wrong someone will correct me I'm sure lol.

catsma_97504

1.What are the fish in that tank, cherry or rosy barbs?
2.Is the pet store owner's theory-that those kind of fish don't lay eggs but give birth to fry instead? You may say "Not sure, that might be a special kind of fish " bu NO, I am 100% sure it is either a Cherry or a Rosy Barb. I learnt at school that every kind of fish lays eggs and the male sprays them with his milt.
3.What does the maternity box work for and if any of you has it, can I use it for my Goldfish ( whatever it's used for ) when they breed?
PS. Sorry for the grammar, but it has been a very exhausting day for me
Thank you my Friends, I am really learning a lot about fish recently!

While it is true that barbs are egg scatterers, it may be possible that the fish you saw was a platy or a swordtail. Both of these fish are livebearers. There are many livebearers in addition to those who scatter eggs and those who lay their eggs deliberately and parent the young.

That maternity box is used to reduce stress on the pregnant fish when they are getting ready to give birth. Plus it has a separate chamber for the fry so that they are not eaten by a hungry momma.

Henri

Thank you guys! While doing some research, I found out that those are swordtails, that explains the long fin of the male's tail!

Henri

Oh, but I do have a question! I've learnt that the fertilization happens when the male's spermatozoon ( from his milt ) makes his way to the female's egg... How come the livebearer female ( the swordtail, in this case ) gives direct birth to juveniles, how does the male's milt fertilize her eggs?

catsma_97504

The male puts his sperm inside the female. And the eggs develop inside her until she gives birth.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
vikingkirken
  • ZippyTheGrunt
  • Barbs
Replies
Views
susitna-flower
  • freak78
  • Barbs
Replies