cherry red shrimp in 30 gallon community tank?

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by ivonko, Jan 6, 2013.

1. ivonko

ivonkoValued MemberMember

hey guys,

i have been searching around for this answer for a bit and cant really find anything concrete, i want to buy about 30 cherry red shrimp to start colonizing my 30 gallong long tank that also has an abundance of community fish and was curious if this is possible without killing the little guys.

heres my setup
    30 gallon long
    1x aqueon 50 filter
    1x aqueon 30 filter
    (will be getting sponges to cover the ends of the filters so nobody gets sucked up)

and my fish
    5x white cloud minnow
    4x neon tetra
    4x glowlight tetra
    2x kuhli loaches
    1x dwarf african water frog
    6x amano shrimp

plants/hiding
    1x xxl amazon sword that my amano shrimp love hiding in
    5x anacharis shoots
    1x hydra
    and picking up the following this week
    3x moss balls
    java moss
    3x blyxa japonica

im worried most about the bottem feeders, i read that amano shrimp and CRS can be in the same tank without issues but im not so certain about the frog or the loaches.

thanks for your advise! oh and im moving to a 50 gallon 4' long here shortly which is why im stocking up on new plants and have a bit more fish than i normally would

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

I think the adult shrimp would be fine but I think any babies who didn't find cover fast enough maybe food for the tetras and minnows... and the frog has poor vision so i think the shrimp would be able to dart away fast enough :)

3. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

Juvie and shrimplets are food to the frog, loaches and the schooling fish. Colony isn't going to get a lot of oppertunity to expand. The adults may respond to the predetors in the tank and hide a lot, too.

4. OP
    OP
    ivonko

thanks for the responses guys :) well i went out yesterday and bought the 55 gallon tank, unfortunantly it came with about 12 strangers, i went to the pet store right away and dropped off the guys that were too large or too aggressive and kept 4 gold barbs, well as soon as i put them in the tank (cherry red shrimp were put in the tank as well) they started going after the shrimp, all the big shrimp were fine but i think the little guys suffered some casulties :(, so im taking back the gold barbs today for some more in store credit,

my next question: once the shrimp start reproducing (they seem very happy and all my other fish are at the top of the tank so nobody is bothering them so far) i am planning on getting a few bala sharks for the 55 long, i was curious if anybody has had these two interact before?

also frog hasnt seemed to bother anybody yet, hes just chilling

5. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

Frog wont bother any big enough to ship........but these guys are sooooo tiny when they're born.......a d shrimp is def on the menu. I feed mine frozen mysis and spirina shrimp........they love it.

I'm pretty sure u might have the same problem with the bala sharks as the gold barbs,nshrimp are prey. They're one of the food sources in most of these guys natural enviroments, little multi legged protien bites

6. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

ADF's can eat adult RCS. I know Akari lost like 40 shrimp to her ADF's.

7. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

:) I wouldn't bet money on that.

8. OP
    OP
    ivonko

thanks for all the input guys, i picked up my 55 gallon, i talked to the fish expert at my local petstore, he said his brother has a 55 cichlid with a RCS colony, he said that although the cichlids to snack on the shrimp all the time there is still over 100 shrimp in the tank because they reproduce faster than they get eaten,

here is what i decided to do, while i wait for my 55 to cycle and stuff i will be giving the RCS a chance to start populating the tank, i will then keep my current fish in the new tank with the RCS till the population really starts getting bigger, i will also take my ADF to my brothers house and put it into his 5.5 gallon tank to make sure he doesnt eat anybody,

i will report what happens!

9. convict15Valued MemberMember

I recently got 20 CRS and already had an ADF. The ADF tries to get the shrimp all day adults babies juvies everything. But he's really not any good at it. I've never seen him catch one anyway. So I wouldn't worry too much escpecily if you give them time to populate the tank. There will be enough that a casualty every now and then won't make a difference.

10. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Female frogs are usually much better hunters.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice