Status
Not open for further replies.

shell_masters

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi all,

I have a 10 gallon tank with only 1 scissortail rasbora (~1.5 inches) and a very small peppered cory. I'm thinking about adding some cherry barbs to finish up the tank. How many do you think would be a good fit? Thanks!

OP
shell_masters

shell_masters

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes I was thinking of switching a barb for a corey, bringing the total to 4 barbs and 2 corys. The cory I have has such a funny personality

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
cories like to be in schools, though. Have you considered bringing their numbers up?
Corys shouldn't be in a 10 gallon IMO. Not that one or two couldn't be, but as you said they like to be in groups, and there isn't enough bottom space in a 10 gallon tank to support more than 1 or 2.

I would take the cory back and get some shrimp or dwarf crayfish for the bottom.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
true about the 10g. What about pygmy cories - are they an option, Jaysee, or still not enough space?
I don't think the pygmies would work either, but that's not based on experience. Most accounts I've seen said they or one of those fish that actually needs to be in a large group. There are some fish that will actually die from the stress of not having enough fish in the school, and it seems that they are on that list.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the Scissor-tail (Rasbora Trilineata), is a problem. They get up to 6" & are a shoaling fish to. That guy needs more space than a 10gal can offer & some friends to keep it company.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think the Scissor-tail (Rasbora Trilineata), is a problem. They get up to 6" & are a shoaling fish to. That guy needs more space than a 10gal can offer & some friends to keep it company.
The information I found said 3.5". Could you provide the link where it says 6"? If they get up to 6", I may want some.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I havn't read any profiles on them BB. I used to have a dozen in one of my tanks & they were 5-6". That's the only reason I know. There is the Greater Scissor-tail (Rasbora Caudimaculata) which stays slightly smaller at about 4" to 4 1/2". Both are very cool fish. I prefer the Greater Scissor-tail myslef & highly recommend them. They do nibble at plants though so best not to have delicate or fine leafed plants with Greater Scissor-tails. Both like fast flowing water & are jumpers. Lids are a must.

They are fairly common so someone near you should have them or be able to get them. As for where.... Do I hear a tank number 26?
Isn't it amazing how a person can have so many tanks yet still not have enough for the fish that they want.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I havn't read any profiles on them BB. I used to have a dozen in one of my tanks & they were 5-6". That's the only reason I know. There is the Greater Scissor-tail (Rasbora Caudimaculata) which stays slightly smaller at about 4" to 4 1/2". Both are very cool fish. I prefer the Greater Scissor-tail myslef & highly recommend them. They do nibble at plants though so best not to have delicate or fine leafed plants with Greater Scissor-tails. Both like fast flowing water & are jumpers. Lids are a must.

They are fairly common so someone near you should have them or be able to get them. As for where.... Do I hear a tank number 26?
Isn't it amazing how a person can have so many tanks yet still not have enough for the fish that they want.
I'm up to tank #31 atm;D I'm hoping to find them compatible with the stocking of one of my current tanks. I've never seen them around here though.

It's crazy! There are so many awesome species out there and I enjoy every species I have. You know exactly where I'm coming from.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm up to tank #31 atm;D I'm hoping to find them compatible with the stocking of one of my current tanks. I've never seen them around here though.

It's crazy! There are so many awesome species out there and I enjoy every species I have. You know exactly where I'm coming from.
You're a fish collector, like me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom