Cherry barbs with sunken stomachs

ZMAN3

I have had a group of 6 cherry barbs going through my 10 gallon quarantine tank for 2 months. 1 female died and a second female is displaying the same symptoms, mainly a sunken stomach and not really eating much. I noticed some white stringy poop among the group, so I treated with 2 courses of API General Cure (which contains Metronadizole and Praziquantel). It doesn't seem to have done anything for this sunken stomach problem. What do you guys think is going on and what is my next course of action to avoid losing these fish 1 by 1? I have included 2 pictures of the fish and a picture of the stringy poops stuck on one of the sponge filters in the tank.

Aquarium size: 10 gal
Temp: 78 deg F
pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10-20 ppm
GH: 6 deg
KH 2deg
Substrate/decor: No substrate, PVC pipe fittings
Water Change: Weekly, 30%
Diet: Hikari micro pellets and peas, fed once daily
Tank mates: 2 horned nerite snails

image1.png

image2.png

image0.png

RomanNoodles96

It does appear to be internal parasites. If general cure isn't working then maybe its camallanus worms? I don't know if they cause sunken belly but I do know they are immune to metro and prazi. I would wait for more experienced answers though.

Basil

I use levamisole to prophylacticly deworm all my fish in quarantine, including my cherry barbs. It is supposed to be effective against camallanus worms.
I got mine on eBay from Subquaria and followed the directions exactly.
However, none of my fish have ever had symptoms.

ZMAN3

I hadn't suspected camallanus worms since I have not seen the tell-tail red worms hanging from the fish's vent but now I read that you don't always see visible symptoms, so thanks for the suggestion.

After reading this article below, I am going to attempt to make medicated fish food with fenbendazole to avoid dumping levamisole directly in the water column and killing the nerite snails.

Basil

You can also purchase flake food with dewormer already in it from Angels plus. I know the have levamisole flakes and probably have fenbendazole as well.

ZMAN3

Basil said:
You can also purchase flake food with dewormer already in it from Angels plus. I know the have levamisole flakes and probably have fenbendazole as well.
Thank you! I think I am going to go this route so I don't have to take a swing at dosing based on anecdotal recommendations

ZMAN3

I have one more question about this.

If you look closely at the picture you will see that in addition to the sunken stomach, the barb's body is starting to curve downward. I also noticed this with the first barb that passed from this.

This isn't fish TB right? Is that curvature just caused by the barb's stomach being completely empty? I've been a little nervous about this.

Top Bottom