Cherry barbs or glow Tetra’s fin nipping?

Ssnaaiil

A couple of my platies have their tail fins nipped, wondering who is the more likely culprit, cherry barbs or glow Tetra’s?

AsleepInYorkshire

How many Cherry Barbs do you have? And how many are female and male?

AiYn'U

Ssnaaiil

AsleepInYorkshire said:
How many Cherry Barbs do you have? And how many are female and male?

AiYn'U
I have 5 total, a couple are albinos. Not sure on the sexes

AsleepInYorkshire

I couldn't say for sure really. There's arguments for both to fin nip in certain circumstances. Male Cherry Barbs can get territorial if they are courting females and if there's more males than females. They may see the platies as a threat in this sort of circumstance.

Do you have a second tank to remove some of the fish to? Male Cherry Barbs like to "lurk" in foliage. If you have a densely planted area within the tank and one male it's probable it will see that area and not the entire tank as its territory.

Perhaps someone with a little more knowledge of fish will come along and throw some light on this one.

AiYn'U

Ssnaaiil

AsleepInYorkshire said:
I couldn't say for sure really. There's arguments for both to fin nip in certain circumstances. Male Cherry Barbs can get territorial if they are courting females and if there's more males than females. They may see the platies as a threat in this sort of circumstance.

Do you have a second tank to remove some of the fish to? Male Cherry Barbs like to "lurk" in foliage. If you have a densely planted area within the tank and one male it's probable it will see that area and not the entire tank as its territory.

Perhaps someone with a little more knowledge of fish will come along and throw some light on this one.

AiYn'U
I do not have another tank

FishBoy101

It could be glow fish tetra. How many are there, and what is the size of the tank?

Ssnaaiil

FishBoy101

That is already a bit overstocked, the fish could be nipping because they are scared and nervous/stressed.

Ssnaaiil

FishBoy101 said:
That is already a bit overstocked, the fish could be nipping because they are scared and nervous/stressed.
Should I rehome the barbs and Tetra’s?

FishBoy101

I think that the barbs can be very aggressive, maybe you should re home barbs.

Deku-Cory

By Glow Tetras, do you mean Glo-Fish Tetras or Glowlight Tetras? If they are Glo-Fish Tetras, I'd bet they're the culprit. Glo Tetras are White Skirt Tetras, which are known to be nippy.

FishBoy101 said:
I think that the barbs can be very aggressive, maybe you should re home barbs.
Most Barbs are aggressive, but Cherry Barbs are an exception. They are actually fantastic fish for a peaceful community, and they are rarely nippy with other fish. In a 55 gallon tank I heavily doubt they would have issues.

Ssnaaiil

Deku-Cory said:
By Glow Tetras, do you mean Glo-Fish Tetras or Glowlight Tetras? If they are Glo-Fish Tetras, I'd bet they're the culprit. Glo Tetras are White Skirt Tetras, which are known to be nippy.

Most Barbs are aggressive, but Cherry Barbs are an exception. They are actually fantastic fish for a peaceful community, and they are rarely nippy with other fish. In a 55 gallon tank I heavily doubt they would have issues.
yes the glo-fish Tetra’s are what I have (the neon colored ones) I already rehomed the barbs so I guess I’ll see if the Tetra’s are nipping my platies

Top Bottom